Germany
Joined 3881 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 57 of 91
08 March 2015 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

My Japanese library grew to ridiculous proportions quite some time ago, but it reached the point where rather than throwing up solutions to my problems, it just created problems of its own. I'd collected books that I didn't want to read and textbooks that I either didn't need or simply disliked. But I felt so guilty about spending that money, collecting the library, and then not using it well, that I felt rather weighed down by the whole thing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 58 of 91
08 March 2015 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I'm starting to address the language clutter that I referred to in my previous post.

Congratulations on the decluttering.

I'm thinking of offering an Electric Monk service where you buy the books and I read them for you.

Full disclosure: this is currently a very slow reading service, but I'm hoping that it will improve with practice.

:-)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 59 of 91
08 March 2015 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure getting involved with an Electric Monk can only end badly.

Anyway, if I buy the books and you read them, I'm not quite sure what's in it for me?

However, next time I need to offload some Japanese material, I'll let you know. We could probably do some kind of deal :)
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 60 of 91
09 March 2015 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I know how you feel way too well. I got crazy while in China and bought more than 20
books for Mandarin. Haven't used one yet..

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 61 of 91
10 March 2015 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
So having made great strides in decluttering my language collection, why did I end up wide awake at 5am browsing amazon.co.jp and wondering whether to "upgrade" to the new edition of Kanji in Context? At least I didn't hit any "buy" buttons this time.

I've started trying to make regular use of Lang-8 for German. The aim is to post around 100 words of writing every weekend. My latest post was packed full of corrections, revealing that I really need to work on getting the case right particularly when dealing with locations.

It also revealed some careless mistakes (using "wann" instead of "als" and putting the verb in the wrong position) that I am now kicking myself over, but at least I know I need to pay extra attention to these things when I write, because although I know the rules it's clearly not fully internalised yet.

I have always been really lazy about writing and getting feedback on writing, but I can now see exactly what the value is in this kind of exercise, so I shall try to keep it going!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 62 of 91
15 March 2015 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Capitalist Realism - Mark Fisher

I've finished my first English book of the year! Although it's more of a pamphlet than a book, which is why I managed to finish it off in a day.

Not sure what I can write about it here, given the political content of the book, and also since it is in English, my native language, so it's pretty relevant to my reading theme (so I'm logging it) but not to my foreign language learning.

One conclusion I can draw which is relevant to my language learning is that I probably need to read some Kafka, and if I'm going to read Kafka, I ought to do it in German.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5781 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 63 of 91
22 March 2015 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
I caught a nasty cold this week, which has really messed up my language learning plans. I spent three days not doing much of anything at all. Even now I have the kind of strained and gravelly voice that makes singing an interesting, if uncomfortable, experience, but speaking and pronunciation practice are pretty much out of the question. At least my head is now clear again, which means I've been able to start studying again.

I've managed to get myself hooked on a stupid German TV show called Nicht Nachmachen (or "Don't try this at home") which basically involves two guys trashing a house by doing lots of things with household equipment that it's really not a good idea to do. If you've ever wondered what would happen if you put a bottle of Sekt in the microwave, this show will satisfy your curiosity without damaging yourself or your property.

I've paused reading my dead tree version of Momo and am instead reading Der Vorleser on my Kindle, with support from the PONS dictionary which patrickwilken recommended somewhere on HTLAL. If I was comparing dead tree versions, I think the language in Momo is maybe slightly easier, however with the support of the Kindle popup dictionary, Der Vorleser is proving to be a smoother read. It's still very slow going, but 8 chapters in and things are starting to get a little bit easier.

My active skills are also starting to develop. I tried writing a short piece of fiction for the Team Rätsel challenge back in February, struggled to put together a couple of simple sentences and gave up in despair. I tried again this weekend and really surprised myself when I actually managed a short short story! I'd like to get it on Lang-8 for corrections, but at over 400 words I think it's a bit long. Maybe I'll stick it up in two parts over the next couple of weeks. I've posted it on the Team Rätsel thread so I won't post it again here.

As far as real, boring, normal study goes, my main aim remains to keep turning up to class and doing the homework. This means working through Begegnungen A2 at a comfortably slow pace and has also been supplemented with handouts from my teacher from other resources. I'd also been supplementing this with the Sage und Schreibe vocabulary book, the second half of Begegnungen A1 and occasional dips into DW's Top Thema and GLOSS. Through using all of these resources I was producing so many new Anki cards that I increased the new reviews to 30 cards a day. However, I hit a point where my total time reviewing became around 20 minutes a day, which is too much, so I've scaled back the textbook work so that I can get Anki back down to 20 new cards a day, which for longer term work is far more realistic.

So now, if I have any room for new vocab after class and homework have been dealt with, I'm prioritising Begegnungen A1 as I think it would be nice to finish it off. I was planning to drop it completely, but flicking through the last few chapters I realised they covered areas where my other work has revealed obvious gaps, such as use of prepositions. I am trying to read/listen to the Top-Thema articles when they are published, but I only scrape the vocabulary into Anki if there is room. And I'm taking a pause from Sage und Schreibe and GLOSS. Since I've already started to cross the divide from studying to really using German, I don't need to fill my life with too many educational resources in one go anyway.

Oh, I'm also still listening to Warum Nicht, although I'm not "studying" with it. I just need to know what happens with Andreas and Ex...

Edited by g-bod on 22 March 2015 at 5:09pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6351 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 64 of 91
22 March 2015 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
It's nice to read about your progress in German. Keep up the good work! It always reminds me that I should do some reading in German as well.

I know what you mean by wanting to know what happens to Andreas and Ex, I was in exactly the same situation last year. But now I don't even remember how it ended...

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version