liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4392 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 9
27 December 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
German
I've been studying German for a little over a year now. To date I've made my way
through Assimil German with Ease, half of a Linguaphone course, and explored native
media online. My main focus to date has been on listening and reading, with very
little output thus far. I'm able to follow podcasts at slowgerman.com without any real
difficulty. I'm usually able to follow the more advanced "ramblings" of the same
speaker on her other website “schlaflos in Muenchen”.

Over the past week I've been going through Hugo German in three months, an excellent
book with great drills to help with the grammar points that still aren't natural to
me. Once finished with this book I plan to recommence Assimil Perfectionnement
Allemand
. I used the book during the Autumn, but only made it to lesson 25ish.

French is a language that I've been studying, or fiddling with rather, for a
number of years. For a long while I was unhappy with my level, wanting to really get a
good command of the language but not having the necessary motivation to study it
consistently. Thankfully, I finally got over this spell during 2014 and am now more
content with my abilities. I'm happy with being able to read for pleasure on my
kindle, looking up unknown words and using the flashcard feature to review them (SRS
would be preferable but I'm too lazy to input the content to Anki). My main aim with
French is to continue enjoying the language in reading and watching interesting TV
programs ( I must see can I find some streaming sites).

Italian is the new kid on the block. I've decided to learn it because (a) I
love the sound of it, (b) one of my good friends speaks it natively and (c) I want to
see how the language compares to French. I've been learning diligently now for a week
or so using Assimil Italian with Ease and Hugo's Italian in three
months
. Both are helpful, though I made the mistake of buying Hugo's without the
audio, which I later discovered can not be bought separately. My goals are simple;
complete these two books. I'm also interested in Italian folk music and am
currently looking for a source of folk songs and such. The problem, if you can call it
that, is that these songs seem to be generally written in dialect so may not be the
best source for learning 'standard' Italian.

I'm always open to suggestions for folk,jazzy, traditional songs... don't be shy! ;)

Last, but certainly not least is Scottish Gaelic. My goals with this language
aren't as concrete as the others. I have two resources that I like a lot; Gàidhlig
Uidhist a Deas
, Fò Sgàil a' Swastika. My plan is to simply make my way
through these two books (one with audio recording) and strengthen my knowledge of the
language. I also have a strong connection to the music tradition of Gaelic Scotland
and songs will feature in my learning.

Total Annihilation Challenge 2015
This is my third consecutive year partaking in the TAC, this year with the German,
Romance and Celtic teams. I'm really looking forward to getting back to regular
participation here on the forum and welcome all to stop by and say hello!

I hope you can join me!

Edited by liammcg on 27 December 2014 at 9:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3887 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 2 of 9
28 December 2014 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Looking forward to read about your progress, particularly in Italian, which I'm of course also starting albeit not in as structured a way as you are, and Scottish Gaelic, which I kind of regret that I didn't learn better back at university (I did a year and a half of Gaelic without much to show for it now, except for a copy of Cothrom Ionnsachaidh sitting in a moving box, waiting for our new 'library' to be built).

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4392 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 3 of 9
28 December 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
B'urrainn dhut toiseachadh a-rithist! ;) Bhiodh fàilte chridheil ort ann an sgioba TAC
againn, leis a' Ghàidhlig neo leis a' Bhreatnais :).

Currently on revision lesson 21 of Assimil Italian with Ease, and week two of
Italian in Three Months. Assimil lesson 19 was probably the hardest so far as
the vocab took a while to stick (had to review it these past three days!). This week's
series of lessons introduced the prepositions and their compound forms more
thoroughly, del, della, nel, sul etc. The system seems quite logical, as is most of
the grammar that I've seen so far.

Things I love about Italian:
-Gender: the gender system is much more approachable than the French equivalent. Most
nouns can be judged by their masculine ending -o or feminine ending -a. There are of
course those pesky -e ending nouns which can be either gender, and a whole lot of
exceptions that I'm sure exist. Plural formation is also very simple.

-Ditto for adjective agreement. Hearing a sentence like Questa è la
mia camera with all those vowel agreements is quite simply beautiful.

-Pronunciation is straightforward in theory. The vowels seem to be very pure,
resisting influence from adjacent phonemes. I've been paying particular attention to
my pronunciation, listening and repeating a lot. The main points that have struck me
are the double consonants, the pronunciation of t and d and the vowels e and
o

I'm I right in thinking the Italian t/d is articulated in the same spot as in French?
What about aspiration? I can't hear any from my Assimil recordings, but I could be
wrong (not a linguist!). Also, is there a rule about when to pronounce E and O open or
closed? All of these questions could be answered by a few google searches but I've
resisted doing this up until now, wanting to see if my ears are "tuned correctly" ;)

I'm going to upload a recording to soundcloud in a while so I can get some feedback, I
would appreciate your opinions!

Edited by liammcg on 28 December 2014 at 3:48pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4632 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 9
28 December 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Hey Liam,

best of luck for the upcoming TAC! I hope to read more of you in the future again. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat!

The Italian consonants are not aspirated, so they're basically similar to the French ones.

Beir bua,

Josquin

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3887 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 5 of 9
28 December 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
B'urrainn dhut toiseachadh a-rithist! ;) Bhiodh fàilte chridheil ort ann an sgioba TAC againn, leis a' Ghàidhlig neo leis a' Bhreatnais :).

Ach! One 'new' language at a time is more than enough. ;) It's a gorgeous language, but I don't think I'll ever pick it back up. It doesn't fit with my life any more. At the time, I was living in Scotland, doing a degree in Celtic Civilisation, and I intended to stay and dedicate my life to figuring out the mysteries of the Celts. Life turned out rather differently, though. :)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4392 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 6 of 9
28 December 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 

Josquin wrote:
Hey Liam,

best of luck for the upcoming TAC! I hope to read more of you in the future again. Go
n-éirí an bóthar leat!

The Italian consonants are not aspirated, so they're basically similar to the French
ones.

Beir bua,

Josquin

Go raibh míle maith agat, a Josquin! Táim féin ag súil go mór leis an mbliain atá
amach romhainn!

eyðimörk wrote:
liammcg wrote:
B'urrainn dhut toiseachadh a-rithist! ;) Bhiodh
fàilte chridheil ort ann an sgioba TAC againn, leis a' Ghàidhlig neo leis a'
Bhreatnais :).

Ach! One 'new' language at a time is more than enough. ;) It's a gorgeous
language, but I don't think I'll ever pick it back up. It doesn't fit with my life any
more. At the time, I was living in Scotland, doing a degree in Celtic Civilisation,
and I intended to stay and dedicate my life to figuring out the mysteries of the
Celts. Life turned out rather differently, though. :)

I completely understand, Italian is certainly a good choice!

Continued on this evening with German. Almost finished chapter 10 of Hugo's which
focused on the passive voice, auxiliary verbs and the genitive case. I know most of
the material but it's nice to get a refresher and to learn more of the details.

Edited by liammcg on 28 December 2014 at 8:17pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4392 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 7 of 9
29 December 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Just a little message to team mates, I'm on a train to Dublin and will be away for a few days to celebrate the
New Year. I'll have no wifi access during this time, but then I won't be doing much study, will I?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 8 of 9
29 December 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to following your blog and being on the same team again this year. And as you'll be away for the next few days, I'll wish you a hearty athbhliain faoi mhaise dhuit now! :)

Edited by Teango on 29 December 2014 at 8:09pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version