worker
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
28 December 2014 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
It is a pleasure to rejoin the forum; I had left off years ago due to having to refocus on rebuilding my life and had lost the email/log in attached.

It feels appropriate to restart with a Total Annihilation Challenge--something that I had always wanted to try but my timing has always been off.

I have always suffered from language wanderlust but I hope that the challenge will give me an accountability framework to push me to success--and keep me from driving my partner crazy from the updates.

Here are the goals:

German--start and finish FSI, Deutsch Warum Nicht, and Assimil German with Ease. I have no idea what level I would get to by completing this. Maybe B1?

Where I am at--I have just finished Pimsleur German 1-3. I am on Lesson 203 of the DW series. I am on Lesson 11 of FSI Programmed German.

I will likely be BFF with Frau Kunze by the time I am done. :)

Spanish--complete FSI and Assimil Spanish with Ease.

Where I am at--a lifetime ago, I completed a couple of years of formal Spanish, Spanish Pimsleur 1-3, Destinos, and FSI Programmed Spanish 1.

Although I speak like a drunken child, I can often get my point across. By the time that I am done, I hope to understand those racy novelas my coworkers tell me about.

French--Complete French Pimsleur 1-3 and FSI Programmed French.

Where I am at--a lifetime ago, I got somewhere in Pimsleur 2 and got lost in French in Action. In waiting for my profile to be approved, I cranked through lesson 1-15 of Pimsleur French 1. I remember quite a bit, surprisingly. :)

When I am done, I hope to be prepped up to move into FSI French and sound less American and more Pepe le Peu.

As I work full time plus with a commute, my study plan concept is to work Pimsleur or Assimil passive waves while driving and to then have at least 30-45 minutes of book work in German and Spanish in the evening.

My arch nemesis is wanderlust but I am hoping that working with three languages will be enough. Maybe as I finish one Pimsleur series, I can add in another...?
1 person has voted this message useful

worker
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 2
03 January 2015 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Well, it has been a week and some progress has been made though not nearly as much as I would like.

Those FSI courses are so boring but I know that they will garner the best results.

German: Finished FSI lesson 11. Working through the Assimil German in the method laid out in the forum and into lesson 15. It is wonderful to see words that I have spoken written out. I do feel like Pimsleur has given me a leg up in the course.

Total time for week: 3 hours. :(

Spanish: Again, no bueno on the FSI. No progress there. I started playing with the Assimil Spanish and though I love getting more advanced tenses, the Castillian accent is troublesome as I had hoped for a more practical Latin American accent. The lessons seem very scattered; it seems like random lines mixed rather than entertaining vignettes in the German course. I hope that it gets better soon.

Total time for week: 2 hours. :(

French: The bright spot for the week. I made really good progress with Pimsleur and have completed through lesson 25. I know that Pimsleur gets bagged on in the forums but it has proved to be the easiest method for me to get up and running in a language. While my vocabulary will be limited, I think that I can squeeze in more with the limited amount of time I have.

Total time for week: 8 hours.

Hopefully, the next time I post, I will have completed Level 1 of Pimsleur and made more headway into FSI.

I am still struggling with wanderlust--the DLI courses in so many exotic languages look so neat!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version