Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3953 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 65 of 87
12 April 2015 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I updated the second post in my log (Spanish resources) to add a podcast (Catástrofe Ultravioleta), a TV show (Casa
cerrado), links to resources for learners (GLOSS, Aveteca, FSI), and a list of the books that I've read so far in 2015.

See post 2
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3953 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 66 of 87
18 April 2015 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I feel good about this week! In the grand scheme of things, I didn't really get all that much done, but I did
something every day without having to force it into my schedule. Language learning has become such a part of me
that I don't have to make time for it anymore. It just kind of...happens.

The sun is shining, the days are longer, and things are starting to grow. Life is good!

Spanish

I walked to work three times this week (a 2.5 km trip each way), and took walks after work on the other two days, so
there was lots of time for podcasts. I listened to two episodes of Futuro Abierto - one very interesting episode on
Permaculture, and one less interesting episode on corruption and transparency in Spain; two episodes of Buenos
Días América (which solidified my feeling that I no longer get much out of listening to this show every day); and a
fascinating episode of Catástrofe ultravioleta about radio transmissions and interference.

I cleared my anki Spanish deck every day. I'm so much more at peace with anki now that I've deleted all but my
vocabulary decks, one for Spanish and one for Tagalog.

I had a wonderful Skype conversation on Sunday morning with my perma-tutor about travel, tourism, sustainability,
inequality and other such things. The topic is one that I'm very passionate about, and the conversation flowed
beautifully - while still providing plenty of challenges with advanced sentence structures. At the end of the hour, we
were both caught by surprise and had to scramble to say our good-byes so that she could answer her next student's
call.

I'm about halfway through El asesino de la Vía Láctea. Despite its flaws (some typos; head-jumping that can be a bit
jarring at times), it's an engaging book that keeps me wondering what's going to happen next. It's a very easy,
comfortable read, which means that I can read for longer and longer periods of time without feeling antsy. I feel
that I'm very very close to being able to enter a state of flow when reading in Spanish!

No TV, no formal study. Just lots of simple, everyday activities in Spanish that have seemed almost effortless. And
with all of the controlled chaos at work, effortless is exactly what I need right now.

Tagalog

For the first time in months, I worked on Tagalog every single day this week! I'm now a little over halfway through
unit 11. Since the program only goes up to unit 12, the end is in sight! Things are definitely getting more complex
in terms of sentence structure, but I'm not overly worried. I'm just going with it, even if I'm not exactly sure. I figure
that I'll eventually learn these structures more actively when I move into my next phase of Tagalog study.

For now, I've suspended all live tutoring sessions. While they're extremely valuable, the schedule is such that I was
taking lessons at 9PM. I've been tired lately. All I want to do at 9PM is make a cup of tea, talk to my family, and read
a book. As soon as I started dreading my sessions, I stopped taking them. In the past, I would have powered through
because I know how useful they are, but right now I'm staying true to my very casual approach to learning Tagalog. I
refuse to burn out this year! When things settle down, I'll start up with tutoring again, although I might do it through
italki rather than through RS. We'll see!

I cleared my anki deck every day this week. Since I deleted all but one Tagalog deck, and I haven't added any new
words in months, this is a very quick and easy task.

Other thoughts

I've been thinking about learning how to code. If nothing else, the past few years have reignited my passion for
learning. Self-studying Spanish, then Tagalog and now guitar has made me realize just how much I can learn when I
have access to the right balance of motivation, resources, and encouragement. Half a lifetime ago, I spent hours and
hours teaching myself basic HTML so that I could customize the Tripod page where I posted my angsty teenaged
poetry. I'd like to try again, as a grown-up this time, and possibly gain enough skills to eventually run an
extracurricular at school for upper elementary kids who want to learn to make stuff.

I'm thinking about starting out with some of the free online courses offered by Codecademy. As fellow self-directed
language learners, I respect your feedback on resources for autodidacts. Has anyone tried any of the Codecademy
courses? (Thanks for indulging my question about a very different kind of language learning!)

Codecademy

That will have to wait until summer, of course, since there simply are no more free minutes available in the day. But
it's fun to think about all of the new things that I want to - and can - learn!

Happy weekend, everyone!

Edited by Stelle on 18 April 2015 at 8:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 67 of 87
18 April 2015 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Brilliant! You are such an inspiration!

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4368 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 68 of 87
19 April 2015 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I've been thinking about learning how to code. If nothing else, the past few years have reignited my passion for learning. Self-studying Spanish, then Tagalog and now guitar has made me realize just how much I can learn when I have access to the right balance of motivation, resources, and encouragement. Half a lifetime ago, I spent hours and hours teaching myself basic HTML so that I could customize the Tripod page where I posted my angsty teenaged poetry. I'd like to try again, as a grown-up this time, and possibly gain enough skills to eventually run an extracurricular at school for upper elementary kids who want to learn to make stuff.

I'm thinking about starting out with some of the free online courses offered by Codecademy. As fellow self-directed language learners, I respect your feedback on resources for autodidacts. Has anyone tried any of the Codecademy courses? (Thanks for indulging my question about a very different kind of language learning!)

Codecademy

That will have to wait until summer, of course, since there simply are no more free minutes available in the day. But it's fun to think about all of the new things that I want to - and can - learn!

Happy weekend, everyone!

I have used Codecademy and found it to be hit or miss. Some of the courses were great (I remember liking JavaScript) but some were pretty much "type this and press enter" with no theory or background. This was years ago that I tried it, so it might have improved. I like the intro to programming courses they have from time to time on Coursera, EdX, etc. -- they're a mix of lectures and practical experience, and usually they are based on actual intro courses from universities. Also, there are usually some offered in Spanish, so you can kill two birds with one stone!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 69 of 87
19 April 2015 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I totally agree with BAnna.

About codecademy: I tried and loved it. I stoped learning there due to lack of free time.
I just have to choose my activities as I am already devoting myself to far too many that
are not studying for my university exams. Codecademy is really well thought out, things
are explained in quite a foolproof way and so on. If you've got time and interest, I
wholeheartedly recommend it. I found a few similar projects last year but codecademy
seems to be the best, at least for a beginner.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3331 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 70 of 87
19 April 2015 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
As my southern mama would say, "You've got the yearnin' for learnin'" She'd also say there are "no flies on you" because you are such a go-getter. It's wonderful to read and watch your progress!     

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3384 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 71 of 87
19 April 2015 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Definitely learn to code! It's lots of fun, a cross between language and math, with
extremely regular and logical grammar. Plus it's always a thrill when you run your app, and
it does exactly what you meant it to, just like real software. It feels like having your
childhood toys come to life.

I haven't tried Code Academy, but I've done EdX and Coursera, and they have some great
classes that will definitely give back what you put into them. I also find the class
discussion forums inspiring, with motivated learners from around the world.

And congratulations on learning guitar. The best aspect of my "midlife crisis" was deciding
to learn to play a musical instrument as an adult beginner. I'm now up to several
instruments (it's the same musical system, just different tools and styles of sound).

Learning stuff is fun.

ETA: I was just chatting with a smart geeky friend, and she said that she enjoyed Code
Academy's Javascript class. Thought I'd come back to throw that in.

Edited by tangleweeds on 19 April 2015 at 10:46pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3953 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 72 of 87
20 April 2015 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
@BAnna and @Clarity - thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

@anamsc2, @cavesa, @tangleweeds - thanks for the feedback on codecademy and learning code. I've found lots of
other free "learn to code" resources, and I think that I'm going to try a few and see what I like best. I'm excited by
the possibilities!

@tangleweeds - guitar makes me so happy! I played piano as a child and flute as a teen, but I haven't made any
music in decades. I'm trying to not do the exact same thing that I do when I start learning a language: "If only I'd
started doing this 10 years ago, imagine where I'd be by now..." Ha!

This discussion contains 87 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version