78 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Kazakh, Spanish

Message 9 of 13
07 January 2015 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Spanish Update:

Here is a link to my third composition in Spanish:

Spanish Composition 3 Region

Like before, the video contains the audio and a graphic of my written composition, with a text version under "Show More".

I was hoping to have two more compositions (one for Russian, one for Spanish) posted already this week, but I've been super busy. Never
fear, I should be able to get a Russian one done tomorrow or Friday, and hopefully pump out one more for each language before Sunday. I
really want to try and stick with 2 a week, as I think that's the perfect amount to keep vocab/grammar fresh in my mind.

Specifically regarding Spanish, I'm confident that I'm making tons of small mistakes in all of my compositions, but I don't really mind. The
main reason I'm trying to learn Spanish is to use it for communication at work (for example, talking to potential ESL students and answering
any questions they might have about the courses, prices, etc.). This means I don't need to speak perfect, academic Spanish; instead, simply
being able to communicate my meaning in a mostly clear and understandable way will suffice. Just like most non-native English speakers that
I deal with on a daily basis, I can easily understand their message despite lots of small mistakes with grammar. The biggest help these
Spanish compositions is giving me is:

1) Dramatically increasing my vocabulary
2) Getting my tongue used to pronouncing the sounds, words, and sentences

I don't feel confident enough yet to try having a real conversation with any native Spanish speakers, but I hope that a couple months of
writing/speaking these compositions will get me enough vocabulary, basic grammar knowledge, and comfort with pronunciation to attempt it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5966 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 

Message 10 of 13
08 January 2015 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Russian Update:

Here is a link to my third composition in Russian:

Russian Composition
3 Region

Like before, the video contains the audio and a graphic of my written composition,
with a text version under "Show More".

Immediately after listening to it I noticed at least 1 small pronunciation mistake:

I said "побережья" but it should have been "побережья"

I think the grammar is like 95% correct in terms of simple stuff, like subject-verb
agreement and declining words. However, I'm sure there are some phrases that might be
grammatically correct but sound unnatural to a native speaker. Like with Spanish,
I'm not going to worry about 100% accuracy. As long as I can use the language in a
meaningful way and get my message across with a minimum amount of effort on the part
of the listener, I'll be happy. I'm still going to shoot for one more composition
for each language this week, but it is going to be tough with all the work I have
tomorrow. If I don't get them done tomorrow, I'll make a real effort to get them out
on Saturday in order to stay consistent and keep my language improving.

Edited by Bradley326 on 08 January 2015 at 10:23pm

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5966 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 

Message 11 of 13
21 January 2015 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Russian Update:

Here is a link to my 4th composition in Russian:

Russian Composition 4 Party

I'm still here! I've been super busy with work and life lately, so my language practice has taken a back seat. That said, I'm still practicing as much as I can, and I hope to get back to making some more
compositions soon. I'm not going to try and set a specific schedule; rather, I'll just post them as I am able to make them. Whenever I have the time, I'm going to do a Spanish version of this Russian one.

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5966 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 

Message 12 of 13
30 January 2015 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Spanish Update:

Here is a link to my 4th composition in Spanish:

Spanish Composition 4 Party

it took a little longer than I had hoped, but I finally got time to write up and record another short Spanish composition. I'm actually kind of glad I had such a long time between my last one and this one; it was a good test to
see how much I was able to remember of the grammar and vocabulary that I had been using previously in Spanish. I was pleased that it seems like a lot of the grammar and vocabulary has sunk in, and I didn't have to look up and/or
translate nearly as much as I expected.

My super busy period at work should be coming to an end soon, so I should be able to get more of these written and recorded.

In other news, I am considering reviving my Kazakh-language journal that I started on here a few years ago when I was living in Kazakhstan. It's not a language I would study seriously like I'm doing for Spanish and Russian, but it
would be a nice, fun break from the effort I'm putting into these two languages. We'll see how much free time I end up actually having in the near future.

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5966 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 

Message 13 of 13
12 February 2015 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm still at it!

Here is a link to my 5th composition in Russian:

Russian Composition 5 Studies

I'd like to get a Spanish version of this one out this week, but we'll see. Things are pretty crazy with work. Anyway, I keep practicing in my free time with Duolingo and
listen to Michel Thomas Spanish when I'm able.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version