United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4485 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 10
29 December 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Say you had two hours total per day to devote to learning or maintaining four languages, all of them at least intermediate, and none of these languages took priority over any of the others. Which one of these schemes would be most effective for keeping them in good condition?

15 minutes of each language every half-day
30 minutes of each language every day
60 minutes of two one day, then 60 minutes of the other two the next day
2 hours of each every fourth day (i.e. one language per day, rotating)

Of course we could stretch this out to the absurd (e.g. a four year "cycle" with one language per year). :-)

One of the advantages of the "more frequent" schemes are that the language would be kept fresh in your mind every day. On the other hand, just 30 minutes per day doesn't lend itself very well to engaging fully with stuff like movies, full-length radio shows, or even perhaps more extended conversations.

But what do you think the optimal "rotation period" is, given the constraints above (studying multiple languages, all above beginner level, and none of them is a special focus)?
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7025 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 10
29 December 2014 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
It depends on what you can do in your time slots.

If you want to keep up with the news and have a show that takes up 10 minutes a day like RFI, or enjoy
watching 30 minute TV shows, I might lean towards every language every day.

If you're a movie buff, and your "study" is watching movies, you might find one language per day is good.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4527 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 10
30 December 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I may have two hours per day to do actual study and so on, but that implies I'm doing
a whole host of other things in Dutch (or English), and my usual technique is to avoid
that by doing them in another language (usually one I don't suck at). I literally
spend half my time inside other languages using them for things everyone else thinks
I'm foolish for doing it that way.

I'm one person that studies multiple languages but rarely juggles them in such a
schematic fashion by the way. I prefer to simply look at problems and solve them - I
don't work on such a schedule so it would also be useless for me to suggest exact
timeslots.

However my favourite technique is spending a few weeks or months intensively on one
language, fixing a lot of issues and moving it up a notch. If you look at it this way,
then I actually spend a lot of time a week just fixing one language and not doing
anything with the others - so they do suffer. The trick is that on your first run
through, you must run them towards intermediate in one go. If it's intermediate and
you know your basic grammar then you cannot fall back too far and when you pick it up
again you will only need to spend a week initially messing about with stuff you maybe
forgot a bit of but in the latter part of the time you've allotted to language X
you'll more than make good on it. You can also do that for a longer time, but I find
that 3 months is round-about the cutoff where I get severely bored and have to switch
to another language.

The way I juggle multiple languages when I also have my B2+ subset is that I use these
languages either in maintenance slots (French), active high level improvement slots
(Russian) or simply forget most of what's going on with it (German). They can take the
hits because they're good languages of mine - I am hardly going to forget languages I
know that well. Just give me time to warm up when I get back to them."

In this way I usually have 2 languages I am studying intensively at a particular point
in time - one of them is a very good language I would be studying anyways because I'm
always using it (Russian in my case is a good example) and then the other one a weaker
one I need to improve for some reason (Chinese is a good example here). Currently I'm
not short on time so I'm also managing to throw in some Greek and some other stuff
while I'm at it. My big problem is how I juggle anywhere between 7 and 15 languages at
this point in time - I've done basic studies of about that amount of languages.

In your case, I think that might amount to a 1h/1h split and simply ditching two for
the time being (and then shifting after a few months based on my motivation and also
my location/job situation/personal feeling etc). But that's a gross oversimplification
because I a) do not use exact time boundaries and b) I tend to do most of my
maintenance in better languages extensively, and then it's not worth counting hours
when you're reading a good book - I just finish the book. And if I finish a day early
or late doesn't matter - I finish when I do and I move on to the next one. I rarely
read more than one book at the same time, by the way.

10 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6417 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 10
30 December 2014 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
I agree that it depends on the activities. Mix and match! Don't interrupt a good session just because of your schedule (there are legit reasons, like timeboxing or making sure your motivation is still there tomorrow).

Also, with your particular list, one great advantage you have is that related languages keep one another alive. You might forget the details but not the big picture.

Basically, do it in a way that doesn't limit you! At least with such big languages, if you keep on wanting to study one but not the other, the solution is not to create an artificial schedule but to make them equally attractive.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4986 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 5 of 10
30 December 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
For languages you can already read comfortably, 20 min of reading + 10 min of audio are ok. For weaker
languages, over 10 minutes of reading might be overkill, so you may use the remaining 20 min for either
textbook study or subtitled video or producing output. I study 8 languages and I think 30 min of focused
learning for each would be enough. I tend to take 6 hours because I have to make interruptions, and I also
think I spend too much time on blind, extensive reading for the weaker languages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6417 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 10
30 December 2014 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
10-20 min are not enough to develop a flow though. There's no reason to go through all your languages every single day, especially if you can maintain contact via twitter/facebook/srs.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4986 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 7 of 10
30 December 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Not everyone learns through flow. The amount of reading I do for my weaker languages is enough for
burnout. Besides, we have odd days in the week and some are more subject to external factors than others,
so I prefer not to split languages by days, for I'd risk doing a couple of them much less frequently than I am
doing now.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6417 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 10
30 December 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Well, I wasn't talking about you... But anyway, why not just support the languages that would slip otherwise? It also seems like what I said about some languages being more attractive and enjoyable than others applies to your situation too.

Edited by Serpent on 30 December 2014 at 11:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version