19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 1 of 19
31 December 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I have considered flash cards, but honestly don't know where to start as in making them, I'm good with certain words the first time I see them, because they either look interesting, or sound like something in English I can associate it with, also when I make a mistake with guessing what the words is, and find out it is something different, I always seem to remember that word from then on. If I use flash cards, how would I set them up for languages? Especially verbs that have many conjugations, would I do a flashcard for each type of verb, such as oir verbs, ire verbs, etc (French.) Does anyone else have something that would work better?
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3841 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 19
31 December 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps the following explanation of Spaced Repetition will be of some help.

Edited by Speakeasy on 31 December 2014 at 8:59pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 19
31 December 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Looking into Anki a computerised spaced repetition system.

Really it depends on what you want to do with the cards. You can do films in ANKI, or visual stuff. Sounds like you just want to learn verb conjugations. I found I could use ANKI with close deletion cards for this purpose. Basically this is a flashcard (on the computer) with the verb and all it's conjugations, with one conjugation obscured, for example the past-historic, for you to recall.
2 persons have voted this message useful

IarllTroseddwr
United States
Joined 3448 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 19
31 December 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I would highly suggest taking a look at Master of Memory. There is a podcast where the host takes listeners questions about specific items they need help memorizing and he has created a Spanish course that is based on Mnemonic techniques. I have really been enjoying the podcast since the beginning and have been watching the Spanish part develop. It looks very promising. Maybe you can use similar ideas with your French.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 19
01 January 2015 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
That Master of Memory Spanish course has a headline advertisement saying "Become Bilingual By April 1" and it does not say anything about the "program" but asks for a lot of personal data to be entered. It looks like an April fools joke to me :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

IarllTroseddwr
United States
Joined 3448 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 19
01 January 2015 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
That Master of Memory Spanish course has a headline advertisement saying "Become Bilingual By April 1" and it does not say anything about the "program" but asks for a lot of personal data to be entered. It looks like an April fools joke to me :)

Wow, sorry. I haven't been to that page for a while, since I'm a bit beyond the course he offers. That is an intimidating bit of advertisement. If you scroll down, there's a free option where you don't have to give any info. Here's the link if you're interested: Spanish Course. If not, no worries. I asked a few questions on the podcast a while back and even won one of his contests, so I know he's legit. Never really got too big into the Mnemonic scene, but I can see how it could help in some circumstances. I downloaded his Spanish podcasts and they're not bad, if a bit silly sometimes. I wish I would've had something similar when I was beginning Spanish.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 19
01 January 2015 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
And if you don't like having random questions poked at you by a machine, then you could also try doing some wordlists. They may appear intimidating at a first glance, but once you get into the routine you may find that they are quite efficient.
4 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 8 of 19
01 January 2015 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Space repetition is a good way. When learning languages, having a lot of exposure means a lot. I prefer to rework
my schedule so that every day I would listen to certain # hours of Chinese radio, watch Chinese TV and read the
newspaper. You come across the same words or phrases in a newspaper many times and you'd naturally remember
them.

If you are just using Flash cards or any kind of learning material, I still find there is too much information you are
forcing into your head. When you read a newspaper and come across an article of interest, you'd absorb the material
naturally without doing rogue memorization. To be more practical, everyday we come across objects in our daily
routine. For instance, we drive to a supermarket. Suppose we are learning French, we would run into all sorts of
objects and try to think about the word in that language. We open the door to get into a car we'd say "ouvre la
porte". And then you turn the key to start the engine you'd say "tourne la clef". By the time you get to the
supermarket you'd say "J'arrive au supermarché".

When you are having dinner, try to name food items on the dinner plate. A while ago I was watching a video by Tim
Doner the polyglot on learning languages by trying to name objects you come across. Going by Flash cards & phrase
books can be a bit boring at times. If you push yourself harder to think about what you'd say in real life situations,
you tend to learn faster without effort.

I play music with a band and play a lot of pieces from memory. You listen to a tune many times from recordings and
it stays in your head. The other thing to help you remember when playing music is muscle memory. Whether you
play violin, cello, piano, you'd repeat a passage many times and train your fingers to repeat specific finger patterns.
Repetition is a good way of learning but you have to find things that interest you so remembering them becomes
more natural. You wouldn't want to learn a language by reading a dictionary from A-Z but more like Tim Doner who
make the effort to name objects you come across every day like you pick up a pen you'd say "c'est un stylo" in
French and eventually the word stylo for pen stays in your head.

Edited by shk00design on 02 January 2015 at 5:05pm

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version