Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What Expug is doing in 2015 (TAC n more)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
364 messages over 46 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 45 46 Next >>
daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4303 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 105 of 364
12 March 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
The Team isn't bad. There are two different versions: on
the left you'll hear several languages (mostly English and German) with German subtitles,
on the right you'll find dubbed German versions (double episodes), but without subtitles.

In general, if you want to download, you need to know some webpages. Torrent practically
isn't used anymore in Germany because of many legal cases. One click hosters are the way to
go.
But you'll find pretty much every mainstream movie/tv-series also dubbed in German and
finding subtitles isn't hard either. You'll just be behind a year or so compared to the
original.

Edited by daegga on 12 March 2015 at 10:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4303 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 106 of 364
13 March 2015 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
It's actually possible to download the movies from the ZDF mediathek (and other public
television studios).
try this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zdfmediathk/

Edited by daegga on 13 March 2015 at 11:46pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 107 of 364
13 March 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks daegga, will check it!

I really liked the review lesson for E Nagu Eesti. I've already mastered most of the vocabulary so that I could pay attention at the grammar. Even the dialogues were quite helpful.

The lessons at Russo Essencial start to get longer. Today I studied lesson 4 and they introduced briefly all cases and had exercises. I'm enjoying this review and the exercises, but I've been learning the language for long. A beginner would be scared by such an abrupt rhythm.

Read 10 pages in Norwegian in no time, and understood almost everything. It helped that there were mainly dialogues, but I'm happy with my progress.

Accomplished Language textbook: Short Chinese TV Plays

This is a lively intermediate/pre-intermediate textbook with the script of plays in a quite colloquial language, maybe even with regionalisms. The lessons are long so a few days were really tiring. I really like the "grammar" explanations on specific particles and expressions alongside with examples. A recommended book for building up one's corpus towards the advanced levels.

Now I'm going to work on Erste Chinesische Lesestücke, a billingual reader Chinese-German.

Que je suis occupé! Qu'il y a du travail! Mais j'ai réussi à commencer "Héro Corps" quand mêmee. Finalement! Cette série semble très intéréssante, et je peux comprendre 90% ou davantage lorsque je fais attention. Parfois il y a des marmonnements, peut-être que j'aie perdu des noms et des informations importants pour l'histoire, mais je peux comprendre beaucoup d'une série originelle française sans sous-titres, c'est ça le plus important. J'ai même commencé à m'habituer à la voix du personnage principal, ce qui rendra la compréhension de plus en plus facile.

I thought I'd never find a calque or rather a cognate for this expression, but at today's lesson I found that Italians also say "Stare sulle sue" to mean quiet, isolated, reserved, not to manifest. In Portuguese we say "Fique na sua" when we order, or either advise someone not to get involved directly on an issue, not to feel upset about it. No exercises at lesson 4, btw.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 108 of 364
16 March 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Finally amore productive weekend. I logged over two hours for French - the film "La Belle Vie" (which I didn't like much, btw) and the rest of the first three episodes of Héro Corp, which I understand quite a bit from. I wonder if my gaps in understanding are more story-related than due to the French language. Sometimes I could transcribe exactly what is being said but I don't m*understand* what's going in. I don't always understand the plots of the films on the go, lol. If I notice I'm not understanding what is going on, I may read some summaries. I'm happy about this series.

I decided I will try to resume Once upon a time, this time with German-Portuguese subtitles. That is what works better for my learning at this moment, since I've done this before with good results.

Estonian lessons are still taking a long time, as I have to translate, but I hope some vocabulary eventually sticks.

I started Erste Chinesische Lesestücke, and I like it! The texts are simple but effective for learning, both for Chinese and for German. Since they are like children books, I'm counting 5 pages as 1 for the SC (1 for Mandarin and 1 for German, I mean). The book has some riddles that are really fun to read in German and in Mandarin.

Good news for German. I had one of the best days of reading. I read quickly, less than 15 minutes for 10 pages. Then I started a new movie, Sophie Scholl - die letzten Tage. This one has subtitles in German! So I could make use of double subtitles DE/PT-BR. They're totally out of sync, so after struggling with SMPlayer I decided to just open the merged .SRT in the notepad at a side window and it is working pretty fine.

Whoever is using Viki: I'm having to type manually the URL of the new parts, because when part 1 ends it redirects directly to the next episode. It is easy, all you have to do is type in the next 'film number', so, after /videos/175881v comes 175882v and so on.

My Norwegian post from over a week ago got corrected at italki last Saturday. This is ecnouraging, though now it's hard to keep up with all the writing I assigned myself to: the output challenge, 400 characters for this month's Team East Asia challenge, Team Pushkin's challenge and Team Scandinavia's challenge. I believe that only after i'm done with the French Super Challenge I will be able to work in a balanced way again.

So, two more episodes of Héro Corp logging up to 47 minutes of well-understood French (I had a much harder time with the film on Saturday, the sound quality didn't help anyway).

Today is calmer so I have 1 1/2 hour to optimize my output tasks. I already finished today's Assimil Perfectionnement Italien lesson which was short and easy.

So, I did it! I wrote a 400 character-text in Mandarin which puts an end to this month's challenge. It was a 100-challenge, so I chose to write 100 characters a week. Here it is:

生活和工作

今天上午我本来怕上班迟到,竟然按时到了。 九点五十五分我还在准备三明治带办公室,可 是我赶快把三明治准备好,看了《快乐汉语》 的今天的集,就出门。
从我家到办公室只要二十多分钟。我很喜欢走 路。为了去上班,走路比坐公共汽车快。这个 城市的公共交通非常糟糕,坐地铁不方便,坐 车真的慢。所以我决定买一间在办公室附近的 公寓。而且, 我住在的区没有那么高的生活费,也没有那么 繁忙的街道。
我工作平时不太忙,但是有时候我很忙,比如 说上个星期。我不知道这是一个异常,或者是 一个新的趋势。不管是什么结果,我都得工作 。我对我工作满意一点儿。同事都很好,工资 也好。可是有时候我认为我做的任务没有趣。 那,怎么办呢?换工作不简单,要考试。我可 在同一家公司找新的地方工作,可是这还不 么简单做,还有事儿:可能人们问我工作时 短,赚的少。幸运的是,我非常有耐心。我 生活的其他方面很乐意。我喜欢学外语,也 欢看书。我想更多地了解世界,不要对其他 有偏见。人们需要多一点相互宽容和尊重。 是只有一个通向幸福和爱情的路径。我希望 们越来越友好。

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 109 of 364
17 March 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention yesterday that I started listening to meditation videos in French before sleep. It is quite comforting that I can understand everything, much better than the English one I tried last week. This brought me even more confidence regarding fluency, and also put me on a good mood for sleep. And no, I didn't fall asleep before pausing the video, so my counting of minutes doesn't include any sort of 'learn in your sleep' time.

The day started busily and I did spend a good half hour on E Nagu Eesti, but I am enjoying this textbook more and more. Since it is working for me as a 'deuxième vague' of Estonian, this time I could pay more attention on the different names of relatives in Estonian. DOn't get me wrong, this book is just as vocabulary-killer as the typical textbooks which require you to learn the whole genealogical tree at once, but here at least I already knew the most obvious names and could learn further. That's the whole point of keeping working on beginner's materials.

The book Russo Essencial has a review lesson where the dialogues of the previous lesson is simply repeated word by word. It is helpful, but what about some more creativity to write new dialogues with old vocabulary like the newest editions of Assimil? It won't hurt.

Having a good time with Chinese. Reading Angels and Demons has become easy and relaxing, except when there are too many descriptive paragraphs in the beginning of a chapter. It helps that the chapter s are short, so you have a daily feeling of accomplishment. This morning I had trouble loading the video from CCTV, and I finished watching it almost late for work, but at least I did finish it. I am enjoying the book Erste Chinesische Lesestücke a lot. It turns out most of the time the Chinese is easier than the German. The poetry is quite concise but makes a lot of sense. For example, 白色花,无人栽 is easier for me to understand than Weiße Blüten, von niemandem gepflanzt.

I'm afraid I didn't manage to focus that much on Héro Corps today. I may have missed some scenes just for being busy with other stuff, not due to lack of understanding of French. I wouldn't mind reading a detailed review of Season 1 after I'm done with it, as I'm enjoying the series and it already seems so familiar.

I decided to do lesson 7 right after lesson 6 at Perfectionnement Italien. Lesson 7 has exercises, and I noticed this time I had a much worse idea of how to render the French into Italian. Ideally I should compare my level at Italian now with my level in French when I studied Using French, but I don't remember it exactly. I do suspect my Italian is better now than my French was back in 2002, so I shouldn't worry that much about making a good use of this book or not. It's a transparent language, after all, and I can always learn more from reading Italian authors, for example, their Musso-equivalent who wrote 'Scusa ma ti chiamo amore'.

At Turkish, I finally finished the tourist part of Le turc tout de suite and started reading its short grammar reference. Finishing it until next week will provide me with a sufficient overview of the Turkish grammar for this dabbling challenge.

I got good feedback for my Chinese post of yesterday. Once again the corrections varied a lot (I got 3) in what was corrected and how. Still, I believe the original post wasn't that bad and I'm confident about keeping writing.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 110 of 364
18 March 2015 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
For the first time I read a concise and clear explanation on Russian verbal aspects in my native language. I think my knowledge reached a point at which I may start to actually retain something. There are sample sentences with translations, which are usually what I need for understandin an explanation.

Once again I read 4 pages instead of three of Angels and Demons in Chinese. I got distracted because I had to interrupt it all the time, and so I ended up reading more. Well, at least that didn't put me that much behind at schedule, and it also demonstrated that I've made some progresses at speed.

I should keep in mind that 'to tell the truth' used as an adverbial expression is სიმართლე ითქვას. I've had to write it more than once and couldn't remember it precisely.

Something got me thinking about Italian. When you study through practicing output, you ensure you learn the words as you need them. I could start consuming native materials insanely in Italian, because it is already a transparent language, but I would be exposed to a lot of words I don't need yet. Instead, I'm better off working on writing some islands and learning words as I think I'd need them in conversation. After all, like I said, I already have comprehension and what troubles me is saying what I haven't been exposed to yet.

Accomplished Language Textbook: Le turc tout de suite

French publishing houses are known for making their language material more comprehensible than average/money-making/makreting-intensive anglophone houses. This goes as far as the phrasebook level: this Le turc tout de suite could be thought of as just a phrasebook, but it brings much more information than that. The info, which includes grammar and cultural notes, is brought up whenever necessary, much unlike the policy of dumbing down stuff for travelers. So, it is not just a book for travelers; it is also a book for those who feel like dabbling in a language to decide whether to keep studying. At this point, this book was exactly what I need for the Yürükler challenge. I was exposed to the basics of grammar and vocabulary, always in a context, and I also learned bits of the Turkic culture. I really recommend this series.

What now? I have 13 days left to work on another textbook before we switch to another Turkic language. I liked the contact with Turkish but I must admit the vocabulary was really overwhelming and so I don't know if I will dare take an opaque language anytime soon. I was excited about Turkish before, it was next in my hitlist alongside with Indonesian, but now I am probably waiting for the whole Turkic challenge to be over and only then decide to add something new. As for the remaining 13 days, I'm going to work on the first week of Assimil. I only got 7 days left out of those 13 when I'm almost sure I'm going to have time for studying, so I think it will be ok to have this initial look at Assimil and then next time I take Turkish for real I will have this background of the first week.

I should have thought about how to write my Georgian fable before, but I didn't because I feel like I'm giving myself spoilers, lol. Now I'm a bit stuck but not so because of the Georgian but rather because of the plot. I sometimes have ideas then forget about them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 111 of 364
19 March 2015 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Today is a good day for reading. I learned a lot from Chinese and I think my Georgian advanced quite a bit. Not only the vocabulary has improved but the grammar, the verbal morphology starts to make more sense, faster. Also Estonian, even though I'm still using only textbooks. The tests, for example, are much easier now than when I started them.

Today I had to help some friends and so I finished my tasks one hour later, even though I was doing everything faster earlier. No problem really, but I need to get back to writing Georgian.

Started Assimil Turkish! I hope I won't regret this. I am probably going to study it only till the end of this month. Then the Turkic challenge moves on and so do I. I really have plans for Turkish-Arabic-Persian and the more words I learn from one that is cognate to another, the better.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 112 of 364
19 March 2015 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I think being confused at the beginning of Héro Corp is normal and it is intention of the
authors. After all, noone is more confused than John himself about the whole village. :-)

Your Chinese skills are really impressive! And I am looking forward to read about your
Turkish experience.

This discussion contains 364 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version