Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What Expug is doing in 2015 (TAC n more)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
364 messages over 46 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 45 46 Next >>
Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 145 of 364
30 April 2015 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I read such an interesting story on Chinese names and their usage in different contexts with parents, friends and spouses. The book China in kleinen Geschichten is really interesting.

I am starting to have the same sort of fun that people who only study Romance languages do. The native materials I'm using for my weaker languages still aren't transparent, of course, but they allow me to enjoy the story(ies) a bit more. Overall my comprehension has improved and my reading is also starting to flow. I'm really looking forward to another Super Challenge because that's when I will (probably) be at the required/expected level at the beginning of a Super Challenge for Russian, Georgian and Mandarin.

Hero Corp is really such a cool series. I wish there were Portuguese subtitles so my friends could watch it. Well, there are English ones.

I had decided which resources to use for Turkmen, but no time for it once again. At least I watched quite a lot from Hero Corp. I admit things will only get fully back on track when I finish the French Super Challenge (1 hour a day) and E Nagu Eesti (1 hour a day), which will both happen about the same time, in some two weeks.

(Edit: formatting).

Edited by Expugnator on 30 April 2015 at 11:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 146 of 364
04 May 2015 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
We travelled the weekend (including May 1st which was Friday) and so there was no study. Well, at least I got my wife to watch Divergent, which she liked. Insurgent is still on the theaters, but I better not mention it again because I'm still reading the book Insurgent in Russian and I don't want to be spoiled by the movie. It's one of the worst ways to be spoiled.

I finished watching the interesting film The Harmonists, about The Comedian Harmonists. It really worked with portuguese subtitles loaded in the player and German subtitles open in parallel at Notepad. I won't feel concerned about making subtitles match exactly anymore. It would be important for weaker languages, but my German is enough to allow me to just glance at the German subtitles and only ever look at the Portuguese ones when I really can't figure out the odd word. Now i'm going for a film with a more contemporary atmosphere, Keinohrhasen.

Hero Corp was harder to understand today but I don't think I should take back my 'Speaks' status. Fact is I'm not enjoying the 4th season as much as the others (Season 2 is still my favorite).

Finally time for proper study of Turkmen. It turns out the introduction from Peace Corps is quite short. I like the way the language sounds. Quite Turkic but not as musical as Turkish. It sounds a bit drier. The vowels are a bit odd too, it seems. I don't like the alphabet that much, though. It looks obviously like it was transcribed from cyrillic.

I feel a bit of wanderlust for Modern Greek again, but I also feel wanderlust for new language books. When I buy textbooks for the languages I'm actively learning, I tend to insert them in my schedule and learn them right away. So it was the case with Russo Essencial, and Lehrbuch der Estnischen Sprache will probably come next after E nagu Eesti. Sometimes, though, I feel like buying textbooks for languages which are beyond in my hitlist. I don't have any in mind now, anyway, so I'll just cool down.

I was close to working on an Italian lesson for the first time after my trip, but ran out of time. Still better than all the past months. Considering that E Nagu Eesti took me over an hour in the morning, this means I'm doing better with reading in Mandarin, Georgian and German. Hope to have better luck tomorrow, even if it's supposed to be the busiest day of the week.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 147 of 364
05 May 2015 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
It surprised me to find out now that Turkmen distinguishes vowel length. Another complicator. COnsidering there aren't any good resources with audio.

Finally, it happened. I studied another lesson from Perfectionnement Italien. Italian is back on the game! I'm not in a hurry to finishing textbooks and starting native materials, though.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 148 of 364
05 May 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
For checking vowel lengths in Turkmen words I discover in written sources I use this dictionary. If a word contains long vowels other than ä a transcription indicating them is provided. As for resources with audio, I've found GLOSS lessons pretty helpful and interesting. The problems with it are that A) they aren't really a coherent course, more like a collection of separate lessons on various topics; and B) there are numerous typos that make dictionary lookups problematic.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 149 of 364
06 May 2015 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
It surprised me to find out now that Turkmen distinguishes vowel length. Another complicator. COnsidering there aren't any good resources with audio.

Finally, it happened. I studied another lesson from Perfectionnement Italien. Italian is back on the game! I'm not in a hurry to finishing textbooks and starting native materials, though.

I hope that GLOSS Turkmen works for you as a source of audio if you're still having problems with Headstart2. The only real problem with the Peace Corps' audio is that the woman has that Russian accent. The man doesn't have that accent and sounds more like the speakers in GLOSS and Headstart.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 150 of 364
06 May 2015 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I don't enjoy Hero Corp now as much as I used to as well. The story seems more chaotic
and less catchy, the humour is a bit weaker, in my opinion. It is hard to keep the same
quality over several seasons for all the series makers. So, your skills may not be
entirely at fault here ;-)

Congrats on such a progress in Chinese! It sounds awesome.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 151 of 364
06 May 2015 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Glad to know. It is short, anyway. I'm already over it and going through the manual, from which I'm learning important grammar features. Lots seem similar to the little Turkish I've encountered so far. That's the main point of the challenge, right?

Concerning Gloss, there is a 'Download' button where you get the mp3s in a zipped file, so it's ok for me.. Now it's about getting used to its non-linear format. I will keep working on the manuals now and will get back to GLOSS if there is time towards the end of the Turkmen stage for this challenge.

Cavesa: I knew I wasn't alone in my thoughts =D I'm already looking forward to the next series.

======================================================
I finished the beginner exercises from Goethe-Verlag for Estonian. That means a few more minutes in the morning now, as I will be only doing one activity for Estonian from now on (as if the one I'm doing weren't taking me enough time). I'm at the stage of consolidating what I learn in terms of grammar and acquiring new vocabulary so I can consider taking native materials later.

There are some books from Roald Dahl in Georgian now. Maybe that's a new start.

So, I managed to find the second season of Helt Perfekt and I'm going for more nonsensical, overly colloquial Norwegian for a couple of weeks more. I must admit I was frustrated I couldn't find the first book of Ellings series to buy as an ebook not even in German, and even though I watched the film I don't think I can handle an audiobook on its own without an accompanying text yet. Anyway, I hope my understanding of spoken Norwegian improves the way French did. My reading skills are already good enough, practically B2-ish, but then watching Norwegian is not the same as watching French when i knew all the words and just didn't understand the speech. Now I have to hear words I wouldn't understand even if there were subtitles.

It was a busier day again, so only time for 2 episodes of Hero Corp, no Turkmen or Italian. Tomorrow is likely to be the same as I have some bureaucratic issues to deal with.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 152 of 364
07 May 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I hope I'm not the only one who got confused about Hero Corp and Peace Corps.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 364 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version