Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What Expug is doing in 2015 (TAC n more)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
364 messages over 46 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 45 46 Next >>
Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 33 of 364
14 January 2015 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Expugnator wrote:
I know this word from before, but it still astonishes me how счастливы gets pronounces sheslivy (Linguaphone Russian).
Shouldn't that be "счастливый"? "Счастливы", the plural short form of "счастливый" only used in the nominative in a predicative role, is stressed on the first syllable, so the "а" isn't reduced.

It was actually на этих счастливых детей, I was trying to make a point so I took the х away, I didn't consciously place it in the plural short form, hehe. And you're right, this terminology may be even harder than some Russian words.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 34 of 364
15 January 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Just finished lesson 4 of Linguaphone Russian. It was significantly harder than the previous one. I had to rely a lot on the pictures to figure out what was being talked about, but even so I also had to translate a lot. It wasn't time-consuming yet, so I'm still avoiding OCRing. I believe when I try to read intensively without a translation, only through looking words up, I feel more forced towards interpreting and internalizing the L2 constructs. Yet this is valid only up to a point. If the text becomes too long and I have to translate every other word, then it's better to make my translation through Google Chrome first. Ideally, I wouldn't have to resort to that and I'd progress at an optimal rhythm of a regular number of new words being introduced per lesson, but I know how textbooks works, especially Linguaphone, which has such a steep vocabulary curve and also bases itself on terminating all the vocabulary within a theme/category. The 'dialogue', the next page after the text, helps a lot because it works as a 'second wave' of vocabulary, but today's lesson also introduced new vocabulary, especially verbs, in the dialogue part.

Learn Norwegian - Lesson 09
Han sier at han står opp ca. klokka sju om morgenen. Først går han på badet, sier han, hvor han vasker seg og kler på seg. Deretter går han på kjøkkenet og begynner å lage frokost, mens kona hans steller seg på badet. Så vekker de barna og spiser frokost sammen. Både foreldrene og barna drar hjemmefra ca. kvart på åtte. De har kort vei å gå til arbeidet. Mora arbeider som dyrlege og far arbeider med datamaskiner. Etter middag vasker faren og barna seg opp mens mora tar segen middagslur. Om kvelden slapper alle av - leser en god bok, ser en film på TV eller er opptatt med en hobby.

This exercise was easier than the previous one. It turns out 'Learn Norwegian' is my longest activity of the day and from now on I am counting the pages of the texts for the Super Challenge. (Will do the same with Linguaphone Russian soon, because both textbooks have long and challenging texts that I will be reading intensively). Today I realized that blyant is a cognate with Estonian pliiats (the Estonian probably coming from the Swedish blyerts), meaning pencil.

The paragraph I wrote yesterday got a lot of corrections at italki. No need to feel discouraged, as many of the corrections are already involving style, vocabulary precision and such. So, I really hope my Norwegian is getting better.

At least reading in Norwegian was easy today, as has been the case this year. I'm reading Uskyld for fall and I'm learning a lot about live in pre-war Norway. Georgian isn't bad either, but I'm going to need at least 3 other books like the one I'm reading now to notice real progress. If only I could read faster...25 minutes for 4 pages, that's more than 3 pages in half an hour, but still has to improve. The faster I become, the more I will have learned then, which means I can read even more before feeling tired.

Another good day for German reading. At this pace, I will soon get used to the terms used most often in the non-fiction subgenre I'm reading. I believe I'm having a better time lately because i'm reading stress-free, lying on my bed with two tablets, each with one version of the book (at least for Georgian, German, and Russian, as I don't need it for French or Norwegian and I use Pera-pera for Mandarin). Next week when things get back to normality I will add more noise and stress, so I am glad I used the calmer days to make noticeable progress. Listening to Deutsch Direkt wasn't bad either, I was a bit bored and willing to browse the forum but I could understand a lot and follow in the background - that's an improvement, too. Normally with non-fluent languages browsing away is enough to get completely lost. Today's episode had Arioso from Cantata BWV 156 from Bach in the soundtrack, which brought up warmly good memories. There is a popular MPB adaption with lyrics in Portuguese called Céu de Santo Amaro.

Just to bring more of the same, it was also an easier reading of Divergent in Russian. I read it only in Russian first and could get the point, only missed the descriptive details. Nonetheless, Russian is still the language I read in the least intensive, at least during parallel reading. I'm reading Linguaphone intensively, so maybe that counts, after all I'm dealing with some 10-15 new words intensively daily with Linguaphone, also more conversation from Poor Nastya, so it's not a sin to keep reading Divergent only the all-L2 then all-L1 fashion. When I am more patient I do reserve the final page for authentic parallel reading, and the most important, it has become easier and less tiresome to go through those 3 pages.

On the other hand, the dubbed Trône de fer was a walk in the park. I'm slowly recovering my best level of French comprehension.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 35 of 364
16 January 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Learn Norwegian - lesson 10

Today's lesson was a detailed coverage on the particles and expressions used in the spoken language. I've never seen it at this level before. I recommend it to anyone learning Norwegian, its a bridge-passport from bookish language to spoken language.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 36 of 364
19 January 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Not much done at the weekend, but at least I watched 40 minutes from the movie "Mon pire cauchemar". When I don't have time to sit at the computer, it is easier to watch what is on YT at the tablet.

I really like Linguaphone Russian, the 1961 edition. Today's text was for the first time an actual text, not a collection of sentences. It wasn't tiresome, though, as if it were an attempt to mention everything about time and date on a page. I OCR'ed the text but didn't have to look at the translation that much. I didn't OCR the dialogue. It wasn't exactly a follow-up to the text, but it was very appropriate. This Linguaphone Russian sounds much more like natural language than the old Norwegian one, which consisted only of texts. The dialogues in the Russian one seem fine.

Learn Norwegian - Lesson 12
Det studerer mange studenter ved Universitetet i Oslo.Det kommer studentene fra alle kanter av landet, fordi det er mange muligheter for studenter i hovedstadten. Det ligger mange institusjoner der, og det går teaterstykker på teatrene og filmer på kinoene. Det kommer en god del utlendinger til universitetet også. Det bor få studenter universitetsområdet, men det bor mange på hybel i byen eller hos venner eller slektninger i byen eller nabodistriktene. Majoriteten av dem må altså reise lang vei hver dag for å komme på universitetet. Det er mange som bruker bil - det står flere hundre biler utenfor universitetsbygningene - men det går trikker og bus dit også. HVer gang det stopper en trykke på Blindernveien stasjon, strømmer det studenter ut og begynner å gå opp bakken til universitetet.

This was a difficult exercise. Long descriptive sentences are usually difficult to phrase the most natural way that is possible. By the way, it turns out this book has 27 lessons instead of 20, as I imagined. This isn't so bad because it means the upcoming lessons are shorter than I expected. I'm learning a lot from it.

Not a bad day for Georgian. At the reading part, I'd only read long descriptive paragraphs all in Georgian. I managed to slowly read and compare the others with translations, which means I was exposed to a lot of vocabulary almost intensively. It was also a good day at understanding the TV show. I found it interesting that in the bar/café there was a bottle with the label 'Batida de Coco'. I guess it is some sort of mix made with cachaça that was imported there. Would be cool to know that Georgians are drinking Brazilian beverage.

Today I found time for finishing Mon pire cauchemar, for watching one more episode of Side om side and for Duolingo.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 37 of 364
20 January 2015 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Today I became aware of the existence of the textbook Naljaga pooleks (for the second time, maybe). Will try to find it and then see when it will fit in my learning forecast.

It is nice to be back to the usual computer, even with the current restrictions. Only the Georgian reading is a bit less practical. The old device won't open the Georgian bookstore's app, so I have to open the book at the computer while looking at the translation at the device. The best thing of the previous days was having each device at one translation, it is much better than using the desktop. On the other hand, the environment and the sound quality hear make it easier to understand videos, so today I understood quite a bit from the Georgian TV show.

Deutsch Direkt is over. A nice series, added even more doubts to my decision on which German cities to visit. Now I'm going to watch the film Bella Martha, the merged subtitle file is ready.

It was a fine, confidence-boost day for Russian reading. I'm slowly feeling less obliged to rely on the translation. Even if I read directly from L1, I already get what is going on, and use the translation only for details. If only it was the case with Georgian already...It seems the Indo-European in Russian is finally making it surpass Georgian. One can't really claim the Georgian book I'm reading is harder...Maybe when I am longer at it it will become as easy because I'll have become used to the author's style, that's my only hope now.

Today has been a calm day and I finished my main tasks quite early, enough time for one more episode of Le Trône de Fer. My focus is on finishing what I have on my plate before obtaining new material or watching broadcasted stuff.

Duolingo has changed at the desktop, no more hearts. Besides, it turns out it is faster to do it there (yes, I can hear it in spite of the audio blocking to most sites). I am not going to use the mic here anyway, so I will pick the faster way. Today I encountered quite some new words related to household. Some, even if not cognates from my other languages, are guessable from context, like sciugamano, and others are totally new to me, like spazzolino, so I'm glad I'm doing this course already. Something that makes me curious is the difference between il tavolo and la tavola and between la sedia and la seggiola.

Maintenant c'est le moment pour arrêter de procrastiner et commencer à écrire quelque chose dans mes langues d'étude. J'ai déjà assez fait pour la pratique de mes compétences de lecture et compréhension orale pour aujourd'hui. J'ai besoin d'écrire davantage en français afin de commencer à améliorer mes compétences. Je n'ai plus envie de répéter les mêmes erreurs d'auparavant.

Jeg synes norsk er også et viktig språk for meg. Jeg skulle onske jeg kunne skrive norsk uten feil, men denne dagen er fortsatt langt unna. Men jeg tror vel at jeg kunne snakke med folk fullstending i norsk hvis jeg ankom til Norge akkurat nå. Kanskje jeg ikke kunne forstå alt som folk svarte, men jeg kunne snakke om de viktigste temaene uten å må ti til engelsk. Jeg ser frem til å kune snakke norsk flytende, og jeg lærer hver dag for å oppnå dette malet. Jeg leser bøker på norsk og jeg ser på TV - forstatt med undertekster, men jeg vil prøve å gjøre det uten dem, for å innse hvor mye jeg kan forstå av den faktiske språk. Det viktigste nå er å skrive og snakker mer norsk, fordi man trenger jo å øve for å lære et språk.Jeg liker norsk, Norge og jeg vil forstå mer om den norske kultur og den norske stat. (January Challenge)

ახლა გვიან არ არის და უკვე ყველაფერს მოვამზადე. საკმარისი დრო მაქვს, რომ ცოტა ვცდილობ დაწერა ქართულად. ყოველდღე შუა ქალაქშის ვუყურებ, მაგრამ ასევე რუსულ სერიალს სამზარეულოს ხშირად ვუყურებ ქართულად. საბედნიეროდ სუბტიტრები მაქვს სამზარეულოთვის, რადგან შუა ქალაქშისთვის ან სხვა ქართული სერალისთვს სუბტიტრები არ არის. ასე რომ ბევრი ვსწავლობ როცა ვუყურებ „სამზარეულოს„. (It is not late now and I have already prepared evetything. I have enough time for trying to write a bit in Georgian. I watch შუა ქალაქში everyday, but I also often watch the Russian series Кухня dubbed in Georgian. Fortunately I have subtitles for Кухня because there are no subtitles for შუა ქალაქში or for any other Georgian series. Therefore I learn a lot when I watch Кухня).

我还有时间,我想写一点儿汉语。这年我还没 �过哦汉语,没有人跟我说话,也没有时间去 � �课。连在网上上课我都没有时间,但是中文 � �美,也很重大。所以,我想练习一点儿,为 � �提高我汉语的水平。今天是我假期后的第一 � �上班的天,可是我并不难过。我相信今年要 � �多很多学习! I still have time, I want to write a little Chinese. This year I still haven't spoken Chinese, I have no one to talk to, nor do I have time to take classes. I don't even have time for taking online classes, but Chinese is a beautiful and important language. Therefore, I would like to practice a little, in order to improve my level of Chinese. Today is my first day of work after holidays, but I'm not upset at all. I am sure I am going to learn a lot this year!
Here is the note at italki

That's it for the moment, over an hour of practice and four paragraphs in four languages. The French one is in lang-8, the others in italki. Russian has to wait or else I'll get a burnout. Next time I will try to escape from the metalinguistical islands of discussing one's own progress in a language. I suspect this is one of the reasons people find it so boring both to write and to read beginner's posts. I will try to come up with something in the terms of my deceased dialogue writing challenge or even some lines that resemble fiction. I am aware I still have to go through the stage of describing my day - ideally, my family too, but that involves giving away personal information, but I want to commit myself to writing stuff I 'd actually speak up in real life.

How so? Having been to both a French and a German meetings, I can notice that I miss, in German, some islands I've been using regularly in French, like talking about what I studied, where I work, which trips I made and which ones I intend to. I have had longer contacts with people from the French ones, and the subsequent topics have to do with that is in the news or on views on this or that country. I tend to cool down on politics even in real life in this context, so I prefer to discuss urban themes, environment. These are islands I'd like to make for myself and learn the vocabulary for in Chinese, Norwegian etc., like saying how my city is organized, the issues we have etc.

(EDIT: added link to the Chinese note on italki as an alternative to the buggy forum encription)

Edited by Expugnator on 20 January 2015 at 9:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4280 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 38 of 364
20 January 2015 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
... men jeg kunne snakke om de viktigste temaene uten å må ti til
engelsk.

Ok, I had to look that up, it's actually "ty til noe". The German translation I got sounds
kinda "høytidelig", as the Norwegians would say. Can you remember where you got this
expression from?
So I was wondering if you can use this in a normal conversation without sounding odd. I'm
sure some Norwegian is following your log and might have an answer ... :)
Maybe it's just my dictionary, because the explanations in Bokmålsordboka sound fine, but
then I would translate it differently than my dictionary (it says "zu etwas Zuflucht
nehmen" ~ "seek refuge at something").

Edited by daegga on 20 January 2015 at 9:56pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 364
21 January 2015 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
In Danish the expression "ty til" is quite wellknown. I'll leave it to our resident Norwegians to tell us how common it is in Norwegian.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4398 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 40 of 364
21 January 2015 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know "å ty til" is very common in Norwegian. I made a Google search on the expression and besides the three first results which refer to dictionaries, the next four refer to articles on newspaper websites with "ty til" in the title, as follows (with my rough translation into English.):

Tror de vil ty til «talljuks» for å lande budsjettet - from Dagbladet 10/11/2014
(Believe they will turn to cheating with the figures in order to save the budget.)

Oppgitt pappa måtte ty til «instruksjonsvideo» for å nå frem til tenåringsbarna - from Aftenposten 10/10/2014
(Exasperated dad had to make use of an "instruction video" in order to reach out to his teenagers.)

Har lett for å ty til vold - from Drammens Tidende 21/03/2014
(They easily turn to violence.)

Lett å ty til tvang - from Svelviksposten 25/10/2010
(It is easy to turn to duress.)

This discussion contains 364 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version