United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 9 of 16
04 January 2015 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Averaging 2-3 hours of study a day, a book in a language other than English or German roughly every fortnight, a successful polyglot conference, and C1 level in Mandarin by the close of 2014 - what a bevy of achievements in one year, Sprachprofi!! I have no doubt you'll continue to inspire us both on Team Rare and the Forum in general this year, and I wish you all the best with reaching your goals in 2015 (especially getting to B1 in Hebrew).

5 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 16
16 January 2015 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Teango!

Here's my first update.. I waited long enough...

I'm on track in terms of hours studied. I have been studying Hebrew regularly every
day since the beginning of the Add1Challenge. I have now mastered the alphabet in as
much as I'll ever master it, I've studied enough of my Cornelsen Lextra Hebräisch
course to know that it's basically unusable, and I have started on Colloquial Hebrew
instead. I also had my first Hebrew tutoring session, which convinced me that tourist-
level Hebrew could easily be within my reach if I just had a bigger vocabulary. Hence
my goal for the next week is to learn 50 words / day. I have hit this goal yesterday
and today.

Not much is going on with my other languages right now, other than using them in e-
mails - I have a friend who is adamant about using French, Dutch or German according
to the topic we talk about. Next week, my Chinese classes at Dalarna University online
are slowly starting up again, so I'll add more Chinese back to the mix.

Books read so far:
1. Mondscheintarif by Ildikó von Kürthy
2. This Perfect Day by Ira Levin - this one I heartily recommend, it's like "Brave
New World" but better.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 11 of 16
09 February 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
My Hebrew is progressing nicely. I uploaded a Day 21 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcmDF2xfQK8

I'm also doing a lot of Chinese, because of Dalarna.

Really busy and often exhausted :-(
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 12 of 16
15 March 2015 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I just posted a video of my Day 60 in Hebrew. Still making LOTS of mistakes, but I'm
proud of how far I've come:

https://youtu.be/DGIbdn6gOj0

I'm mostly studying with tutors, because I found two amazing Hebrew tutors on italki.
I also have an Israeli-German friend with whom I do a language exchange occasionally,
I do Anki and I watch the Israeli series "Bnei Aruba".

It's crunch time for the organization of the Polyglot Workshops and Polyglot Gathering
and this is really cutting into my reading and my language study. If it wasn't for the
Add1Challenge and the upcoming Hebrew Dinner with Alex Rawlings, I would probably let
this affect my Hebrew study as well, but fortunately I have external motivation :)
6 persons have voted this message useful

djc463
Heptaglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5599 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 16
15 April 2015 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the update! It's always inspiring to hear from such a motivated individual. I'm curious why you mentioned
that you wanted to make namely Italian the pillar for the Romance languages and not Latin or French. Do you feel
that Italian is your 'best' romance language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 14 of 16
15 April 2015 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
My Day 90 video is out! And I've written up some epiphanies I had during this challenge. I'm always looking to improve my learning process.

http://learnlangs.com/90_days_Hebrew

@djc, French is my best Romance language (I majored in French philology) and my Latin is still better than my Italian too, at least passively. I used to work as a Latin teacher. I need to use Italian as my pillar because French and Latin are too far removed from the other modern Romance languages. Right now, I'm confusing Spanish with Italian a lot. I think the same would happen if I learn Portuguese, which is on my hit list. Further improving my French wouldn't help here. According to Richard Simcott, I need to get to C1
in Italian and make it my pillar in order to have a chance to beat the confusion.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 April 2015 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 15 of 16
13 June 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
The Polyglot Gathering was bad for my studies. I'm only now restarting them for real.

Since June 1st, I'm doing another Add1Challenge with Hebrew, since the routine worked
well for me last time. Also in the italki challenge for June, though with more than just
Hebrew.

My priorities of improvement:
1. Hebrew
2. Italian (with a goal of reaching C1 so I can work on Spanish again)
3. Norwegian (just dabbling for a friend)
4. Chinese
3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version