Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4363 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 113 of 292
01 April 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Thank you tarvos, that's really interesting to know. I love when I can guess some words
of Russian from Croatian - it gives me hope that I'll be able to learn it one day :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3316 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 114 of 292
01 April 2015 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Thank you tarvos, that's really interesting to know. I love when I can guess some words
of Russian from Croatian - it gives me hope that I'll be able to learn it one day :)

I have the same feeling. I occasionally pick up words and it makes me feel like :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4363 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 115 of 292
04 April 2015 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Yes, that's how I feel too basica :)

This week I have spent some of my commuting time reading some of the grammar pdf from
the Basic Croatian website. I have
read it at least once before, but probably not for two years and I thought I might get
more out of it at the level I'm at now. I have to say that I still find some of the
grammar explanations in it unnecessarily confusing, but there is definitely some
useful stuff and it must be the best free source of information about Croatian
grammar.

I have also started reading 'Књига о џунгли' (Jungle Book). I still keep
procrastinating reading in Cyrillic because I subconsciously seem to regard it as
being "too difficult", but every time I succeed in forcing myself to actually do it,
it isn't anywhere near as bad as I think. I read 85 pages yesterday and learned some
new words:

jazbina = den
soko = falcon

I was impressed myself that I already knew the word 'čopor' (pack, in the context of
wolves). Reading 'Twilight' really did have some educational value :D

I watched another episode of 'Budva' yesterday. There was some actual bad weather in
this episode (for the first time ever!) with waves crashing onto the promenade. The
sinister Russian featured again but I can't work out what it is about his accent that
sounds so odd.

I've also been rereading some more of the BCS grammar textbook. I read the chapter
which covered the conditional yesterday and that's one of those topics where I can
definitely see that my understanding has improved a lot over the past year or so.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 116 of 292
04 April 2015 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It does. The plural of человек in Russian is indeed люди. However, after large numerals
(when mentioning the numbers of attendees at a concert or football game, for example),
you will often simply see человек used instead:

Вчера 3000 человек поучаствовали в митинге за праву человека в центре Москва.

"Yesterday 3000 people attended a demonstration for human rights in the center of
Moscow".
"за права человека в центре Москвы"
In this case человек is simply the hmmm partitive form? I can't figure out the case, haha. Sounds like genetive plural but generally it would be людей/ljudej. I'm not sure why, but with an exact number it's just wrong, like *пять людей. Maybe because you use singular forms with smaller numbers, so it goes like один человек, два человека, пять человек. Maybe it has something to do with the dual, not sure.

Человеки (čeloveki) is also used playfully sometimes, perhaps when imitating the speech of children, tired/drunk adults or aliens.

In Ukrainian чоловік is the normal word for man btw, and жінка is a woman. This sounds jarring to a Russian ear.

Edited by Serpent on 04 April 2015 at 4:53pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 117 of 292
04 April 2015 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Я, наверное, выпил, когда написал это предложение...

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4363 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 118 of 292
04 April 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
The one word I couldn't make any kind of guess at there was выпил :)

I've mostly been visiting family today but had a bit of time for Croatian this
morning. I went through the BCS grammar textbook and made notes on all the bits that
touch on aspect. The layout of the textbook is not ideal - I would prefer it if there
was just one chapter on each topic to consult, rather than bits of each topic being
strewn throughout the entire thing. Thankfully the index is very good! I wanted to
spend some time reading up on aspect because I feel like that's where I'm making the
majority of my mistakes when I write (silly case errors excepted). I don't think these
errors come from a lack of understanding as such; I think it's more a case of me not
thinking about it carefully enough when I write.

I then started trying to write 500 words on rdearman's next writing prompt, which is
about what would you paint if you could paint anything in the world, but I probably
only wrote 100 before I had to go out, so will need to come back to it tomorrow.

It's lovely to have a few days off for Easter and be able to think about things like
this :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 119 of 292
04 April 2015 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
it literally means "I drank" (or he drank) and it implies alcohol :)

Edited by Serpent on 05 April 2015 at 12:23am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4487 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 120 of 292
05 April 2015 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
In this case it even means "I had drunk before I wrote that..." Self-effacing commentary
basically.

Edited by tarvos on 05 April 2015 at 1:33am

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version