Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 36 37 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 153 of 292
28 April 2015 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I may be able to help you radioclare. First- a bunch of "ifs". If the pdf's are simply formatted- i.e: not two columns or poorly scanned with text that is ocr'ed (text with characters made optically recognizable by a computer) you are in luck. How you can tell if a text has been ocr'ed is by trying to copy a stretch of text and paste it somewhere. If it pastes in a legible fashion, Bob's your uncle. You'll need to download a free, open-source, program called Calibre. Calibre allows you to easily convert a pdf file to mobi format. You can even search the web for cover images and import them in the conversion process.

If the pdf's have not been ocr'ed, you can use a pdf editing program to do that. I have official adobe software which makes it easy and it has been well worth every penny I paid for it over the years. There are also lower cost and perhaps free alternatives out there. With a good pdf editing software you can crop the pages to make them appear bigger on an e-ink screen or read them in landscape instead of portrait format.

If you have a tablet style kindle, or just a tablet, cropping is not necessary. What I have described may seem complicated, but once you do it a few times it is really quite easy and quick. With languages like Haitian Creole and Ladino, there are no e-books unless I make them myself. Mind you, there isn't an integrated pop-up dictionary for them on the kindle but I can still take notes on it and save words for later easily.
3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 154 of 292
29 April 2015 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Thank you Serpent, I hadn't thought about trying to listen to music via Firefox but
will give that a try :)

I still don't feel like I'm doing very well at anything at the moment. This weekend
was entirely taken up by an Esperanto trustee meeting and so I didn't have a lot of
free time.

I've read about 60 pages of 'Reketaš' so far and I'm enjoying it.

I've been exploring other options for buying e-books in Serbian or Croatian and come
to the conclusion that it still isn't really possible on a large scale in the way that
it is for western European languages. I'm sure that will change over the course of the
next few years and I just have to be patient, but I'm rubbish at being patient. I've
bought a collection of 90 books as pdfs instead and am going to experiment to see
whether I can get them into any format which is a bit easy to read on my Kindle.

If you are going to do 90 of them, then I suggest you download calibre, those online things I told you would take forever.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4364 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 155 of 292
29 April 2015 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for the advice :) All the pdfs I have seem to already be OCR'd, which is
good news. I've downloaded Calibre and just waiting for it to convert the files now.
Think it might take a while to get through all 90 even without doing it online! Will be
interesting to see how readable the results are :)
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 156 of 292
30 April 2015 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Thank you both for the advice :) All the pdfs I have seem to already be OCR'd, which is
good news. I've downloaded Calibre and just waiting for it to convert the files now.
Think it might take a while to get through all 90 even without doing it online! Will be
interesting to see how readable the results are :)

If you use linux conversion is easy. Put them all in the same directory and run this command.

for a in `ls *.pdf`; do ebook-convert $a `basename $a .pdf`.epub; done

:D

EDIT: Being a sad git, I went away and worked out how to do this in windows.

1) open a cmd shell, (press start then type cmd and press return, you should get a little black box)
2) change directory to where your books are. cd \users\documents (or whatever)
3) run this command:
for %A in (dir *.pdf) do ebook-convert %A %A.epub

That will loop through and change all PDF files to EPUB files, assuming calibre's ebook-convert.exe is in your path. If not you might need to do something like:
for %A in (dir *.pdf) do "C:\program files\calibre\bin\ebook-convert" %A %A.epub

The problem is that it will convert FRED.PDF to FRED.PDF.epub but hey... it is windows.

Edited by rdearman on 30 April 2015 at 12:54am

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4364 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 157 of 292
30 April 2015 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Erm, I went for the non-technical approach of opening Calibre, highlighting the pdfs and pressing the "convert" button... is the more complicated way better?

I started reading one of them this morning and it's fine except that the line spacing is all funny, so there is about a line and a half of text, then a blank space, then a line and a half of text, then a blank space etc. Guessing this happens because the length of lines is different in the pdf to what they need to be in the mobi file. I think it's still an improvement on reading the pdf file though because the text is a decent size :)

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 158 of 292
30 April 2015 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Erm, I went for the non-technical approach of opening Calibre, highlighting the pdfs and pressing the "convert" button... is the more complicated way better?

I started reading one of them this morning and it's fine except that the line spacing is all funny, so there is about a line and a half of text, then a blank space, then a line and a half of text, then a blank space etc. Guessing this happens because the length of lines is different in the pdf to what they need to be in the mobi file. I think it's still an improvement on reading the pdf file though because the text is a decent size :)

LOL... your solution is better! I'm just a commandline junkie.

I think you can set some parameters to adjust the lines. I don't know how to set them in the GUI interface. But on the commandline they are:
--pretty-print (If specified, the output plugin will try to create output that is as human readable as possible.)
--mobi-ignore-margins (Ignore margins in the input document.)
--mobi-file-type (By default calibre generates MOBI files that contain the old MOBI 6 format. This format is compatible with all devices. However, by changing this setting, you can tell calibre to generate MOBI files that contain both MOBI 6 and the new KF8 format, or only the new KF8 format. KF8 has more features than MOBI 6, but only works with newer Kindles.)

You should have some kinda tickboxes for these options.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4364 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 159 of 292
30 April 2015 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, that makes sense :) My Calibre is still busy converting the 90 pdfs but
when it's finished I will investigate the different parameters in more detail.

Not achieved much so far this week, except for reading more of "Reketaš"; I'm got
through another 86 pages since I last posted. I'm enjoying it, but can't see how the
story is going to end.

6WC starts tomorrow and I can't decide whether to sign up. Given my complete failure
to make time for Macedonian, registering with it could either give me the kick I need
to do some work or just make me completely depressed when I fail to achieve anything
at all :D I also have so much stuff that I still want to achieve with Croatian (but am
equally failing to do!) that I am tempted to register with that just for the sake of
additional motivation, although I think it's getting to the stage where I can't
honestly call myself a "beginner". In a parallel universe where I have a thing called
free time, I actually want to register with Czech in preparation for going to Prague
for August bank holiday :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 160 of 292
01 May 2015 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
You are not a beginner in Croatian, but you can still log your progress.

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version