Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 ... 36 37 Next >>
nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3565 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 169 of 292
17 May 2015 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I am reluctantly giving up with reading a novel in Cyrillic because the one I have
(which I bought at random) is just far too difficult to me. It's not the alphabet; the
language is just so difficult that when I try to read it I feel like I'm trying to
read a book in a Slavic language I haven't learned yet. For context, here is the first
sentence (see how long it is and how little sense it makes!!)

Quote:
Драги и веома поштовани,

Крепи нас надежда да ће, некад и негде, под прозорима цењене Редакције Алманаха
Земљомерцке оба цвета Високе колегије, поштански рог затулити, унаточ непотпуности,
боље рећи: изостављања атресе, и најавити приспеће управ ове, набрекле куверте са
нашом, за печатњу приправљеном радњом, то јест: руковетима спремљених нотата, на
основу зимњих прича и писаног градива из Старог ваљевског катастра, уз прибирак личних
домишљаја о колубарској кампањи земљомерца К. и о његовом фабулозном ишчезнућу приде,
а и о другом - што ће се, течајем ове пропратнице, редом помињати.

I just read this and I have absolutely no idea what the hell it is about. :D
It looks like it was written 100 years ago.

I highlighted all the unknown words.
I think you made a good call. :D

nadežda = nada (hope) archaic word and a common female name

Edited by nikolic993 on 17 May 2015 at 7:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4368 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 170 of 292
17 May 2015 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Thank you nikolić - I'm really glad you found it difficult to read as well, because it
really knocked my confidence when I opened the book and could hardly understand anything!
But I don't feel so bad now you found it confusing as well :)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4368 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 171 of 292
19 May 2015 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
I watched another episode of Budva last night and had a moment of cultural confusion when one of the characters started a new job, and his wife threw a glass of water in his face. As far as I could gather, this was supposed to bring him good luck but it seemed a bit harsh to me as it meant he had to turn up one his first day with a wet suit!

Having looked it up this morning, apparently spilling a glass of water behind someone who's going on a journey, starting a new job, taking an exam etc is supposed to bring good luck. So I think what happened in 'Budva' is that the wife was intending to spill the water behind the husband, but actually he turned around at the last minute because he'd forgotten something and it ended up in his face :D

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4368 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 172 of 292
22 May 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
I've watched another two episodes of 'Budva' since my last update. It's so exciting! One of the main characters was the victim of an attempted murder attack and is now in intensive care, so have been on the edge of my seat.

Still reading 'Izgubljeni Simbol' and am now on page 236, so not quite halfway through. This is really exciting too, though the pdf quality isn't the best. I've learned a new word - 'bukvalan' (literal).

Going to Sweden for a long weekend tomorrow, so quite excited.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 173 of 292
22 May 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
omg which one? but don't tell me any other details haha :D
but it's probably Luka haha no?
also do you remember a few posts where you told me not to look because of spoilers? were they about season 1 or 2? i'll be done with season 1 soon haha. i've read your post about how the plot about the guy and girl from antagonist families was pretty obvious, and it's obvious anyway haha :D
but i guess soon i can go back to some posts i skipped, yay :D

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 174 of 292
23 May 2015 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
nadežda = nada (hope) = this is the actual word in Russian by the way. In Romanian, which
usually uses speranță, nădejdă is literary. I once used it and was told off for being too
Moldovan.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 175 of 292
23 May 2015 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
wow thanks for pointing out about romanian!
and yeah with my russian the passage is not *that* difficult... "крепи нас надежда" seems to mean smth like "the hope gives us strength", for example. although in russian крепить means to hook, bind (also in the more icky meaning of bind).

basically the text feels rambly/literary, but the beginning is often difficult and vague. for now it definitely seems like overkill, but it may well be worth a try later, perhaps after learning some russian hehe.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 176 of 292
23 May 2015 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
I realised this evening that I was in danger of losing my 37-week streak if I didn't log some activity for the SC straight away, so I sat down to watch
an episode of the Montenegrin soap opera 'Budva na pjenu od mora'... and unexpectedly ended up watching three and getting to the end of series one!

I have definitely posted before that I have found some of the episodes of this programme as slow as treacle but in episode 10 things started to get more
interesting as various plot lines were nearing conclusion and all the good guys were getting set for happy endings. Then in episode 11 something dramatic
and unexpected happened which meant I had to watch episode 12 immediately to see how everything was resolved :) Having finished the first series now I
think I can admit that I've enjoyed it despite myself so I am definitely going to watch series 2.

More interesting than the storylines has probably been the opportunity to listen to Montenegrin accents, which still sound pretty odd to me. I have
noticed a lot of š sounds where no š should be, a lot of dropped h's (they always say "oću" rather than "hoću" for example) and sometimes the emphasis
being on a different syllable of a word to the one I expected, so that their speech seems to have a different rhythm somehow. There are still whole
phrases of dialogue than I can't make head nor tail of at times.

And kinda same here now. Although I pretty much knew upon finishing episode 9 that I would probably marathon through the rest :D now it's 9.35 am omg.

Good to know it's odd for you too. Although you'd probably understand much more in writing. I even have entire scenes where I only get the gist. I thought my understanding had improved by the middle of the first season, but apparently it was just less complicated, apart from the amphora subplot maybe. I'll definitely watch the last 3-4 episodes again at some point. I also kinda want to watch the 1st and maybe 2nd again because I struggled so much to remember/figure out who is who.

I've noticed oću too, but it seemed only an occasional thing to me. I think often there's a weak h, or maybe I was just imagining it because it's supposed to be there.
any examples for š btw?

Edited by Serpent on 23 May 2015 at 8:44am

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version