Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 ... 36 37 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 209 of 292
19 June 2015 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
No, that's L-R. That's useful.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4342 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 210 of 292
19 June 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Okay... I have absolutely no idea what shadowing is then! Can anyone enlighten me??

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 211 of 292
19 June 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
It's a technique where you listen to an audio recording and repeat it out loud or
vocalise it straight after.

I don't like it very much. Serpent does.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4342 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 212 of 292
19 June 2015 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation :)

It sounds a bit like Pimsleur!!

It might be useful but I guess the difficult bit would be finding some suitable audio to do it with.

basica
Australia
Joined 3295 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 213 of 292
19 June 2015 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Glossika offer Croatian and Serbian ;)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4342 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 214 of 292
19 June 2015 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I was going to say "What's Glossika?" but I don't want to sound like a broken record, so will go away and Google it....

Is it something you recommend, basica?

basica
Australia
Joined 3295 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 215 of 292
19 June 2015 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
www.glossika.com

Glossika is my main form of "study" at the moment. Since you're at an intermediate level it might not honestly
do that much for you in terms of learning - but if you're looking at something that gives you the audio plus text
for you to shadow to help with speaking practice then it will probably do the trick.

For someone who is an "advanced" beginner it's helpful as I pick up vocab in context and help me to
internalise certain sentence patterns and pick up on things that I wouldn't notice otherwise. For example, the
first thing I noticed is that the speaker when talking about possession, didn't really favour "tvoj" or "moj" but
rather "mi je" or "ti je" or in plural it would switch to "su ti" and "su mi". After speaking to some Serbs they
agreed that this is definitely the case and you would definitely say "gde su ti deca" instead of "gde su tvoja
deca" which would have been my initial inclination.

If you go to their site you can check out in a bit more detail what they're about if what they do suits you. I've
been doing it near 3 months now and I gotta say that while I like it, I think the next language I use them with
will probably be with a more intense and short approach rather than a relaxed and long one.

Edited by basica on 19 June 2015 at 3:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 216 of 292
19 June 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I think you may have a misconception about shadowing- it's not like Pimsleur, where the CD (mp3, whatever) says a phrase and you
repeat it during a pause.

With shadowing, you start saying the phrase just after the CD starts speaking, so you're listening at the same time you're
speaking. Let me see if I can get the text below to line up correctly-

[CD] This is an example phrase that you are meant to shadow. I am a big fan of this technique.
[You]              This is an example phrase that you are meant to shadow. I am a big fan of this technique.

If you search youtube for "shadowing arguelles" you'll find several videos that demonstrate and discuss the technique.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version