Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 233 of 292
28 June 2015 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Inspired by Serpent, who seems to have made really good progress with 'Budva' recently, I have
watched four episodes over the course of the weekend so far. I am also inspired by the desire to
get another star in the Super Challenge; after those four episodes I'm on 121.8 'films', so will
hopefully get up to 125 within the next couple of weeks. Any thoughts of completing a double
challenge are now a distant dream.

Serpent needs to not read the rest of this post as there may be Budva spoilers!

One of the long-running storylines in series 3 involving a really evil drug dealer has now come to
a head, when he was shot dead by a corrupt police officer formerly in his pay. It seems weird to me
what seems to be acceptable to show on screen in 'Budva' and what isn't; strong language,
gratuitous violence and casually walking round with guns are all absolutely fine, but there seems
to be a strict taboo around showing sex/nudity. I thought the scene with the shooting was pretty
violent (no need to show the bullet holes - eeek!) and also the guy got shot within a few metres of
his small daughter, which was perhaps also a bit unnecessary. More concerning though was the fact
that the corrupt police officer shot him, then took another gun, wiped his finger prints off it,
stuck it in the dead man's hand and fired a shot from it to make it look like the drug dealer had
shot first and he'd killed him in self defence. I imagined the non-corrupt police would be able to
see straight through this when they arrived on the scene (they were in police cars just outside the
building!) but seemingly they didn't and the corrupt police officer is now a hero. I sincerely hope
I never have any involvement with the Montenegrin police!

Another storyline which is just coming to a head involved one of the characters taking his
girlfriend back to the village where he is from to meet his aunt and mother. The village is by Lake
Skadar, so there were some beautiful shots of the scenery. I'd love to know whereabouts on the lake
they filmed, but I couldn't catch the name of any places. I went to Lake Skadar last summer but my
own trip wasn't highly successful as the entire town I went to (Virpazar) seemed to be set up to
scam tourists. I wouldn't recommend it!

Once again in this episode you could see the importance of being someone's "kum" (often translated
as best man but seems to have a lot more significance than in English-speaking countries; if you're
someone's kum then you seem to be bound to them for life). The girl who was going to Skadar to meet
her boyfriend's family is an orphan and the boyfriend's mother wasn't very satisfied by her lack of
family connections. In the end they had to get the character who was her deceased father's "kum" to
come and meet the boyfriend's family too and promise that she was like a daughter to him and that
he would give her away at her wedding. That seemed to solve all the problems!

Another language point which caught my attention during the episodes I watched yesterday was how
instead of say "nisam", "nismo" etc, it often sounds like the characters are saying "nijesam",
"nijesmo" etc. I tried looking it up and it seems like this might be another specifically
Montenegrin thing. It actually caused confusion in one of the episodes I watched because one of the
character said "Nijesmo" and the other character misheard it as "jesmo"; if he'd just said "nismo"
it probably would have been clearer.

What else? I thought I was doing pretty well at understanding everything and then in the final
episode I watched last night there was a scene which contained some information that may be crucial
to understanding the main plot of the entire series... and I failed to get more than a few words of
it :'( I've relistened to the scene more than 20 times this morning as loud as I possibly can and
tried to write down all the words I could hear. I've now managed to understand the gist; the
character was saying he was washed up on this beach, presumably after some sort of battle because
it sounds like he was fighting two men and tried to strangle one of them, but the other one had a
pistol. One bullet went in his side and just missed some sort of important artery by a few
milimetres, while a second bullet broke his collar bone. He fell into the sea and came round on the
sand, where he was found by a local resident. I think he then says he was resurrected for the first
time there on that sand, and the second time when he met the woman he's about to propose to.... So
I've probably understood about 50% of his speech now. But there are still numerous words which I
either can't make out or can't find what I think(!) I've heard in a dictionary, so I'm not entirely
sure why he was fighting these people in the sea in the first place.

If anyone else wants to have a go at understanding (but not Serpent until she's watched another 30
episodes!!), the link is here. I think part of the
problem for me is that he's speaking with emotion, so seems to be swallowing some of the words, and
the other problem is that the vocabulary seems more varied than what they usually use in 'Budva' so
a lot of the words are new to me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3567 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 234 of 292
28 June 2015 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Here's a transcript:

Quote:
Beach scene:

Savo: Ođe me more izbacilo. Tamo sam se zatek'o na gliseru, sa dvije džukele protiv mene. U'vatim jednog za grkljan, krenem da ga davim. Ovaj drugi potegne pištolj. Imao sam prsluk od kevlara, al' nije pomoglo. Jedan metak mi je okrznuo bok, 2-3 milimetra promašio bedrenu arteriju. Ovaj drugi mi slomio ključnu kost. Pao sam u more, i ođe na ovaj pijesak osvanuo. Više mrtav nego živ. Tu me našao jedan mještanin, "Petrit Peroli". Prvi put sam vaskrsnuo ođe na ovom pijesku, drugi put kod tebe u krilu.

Girl: Zašto mi to pričaš?

Savo: U Budvi bilo sve zatvoreno. Napravio sam pravu uzbunu, al' sam došao do ovoga.

Savo: I mila, oli se udat' za mene?    oli = hoćeš li

Girl: Da, hoću, udaću se za tebe.

House scene:

Guy washing dishes: Da im odbijem od plate? Odbiću im i prosuto piće i hemijsko čišćenje. Olga. Okle ti?

Olga: Pa, do sad sam radila nešto.

GWD: Evo ja, doša da se presvučem. Igrali na plažu "bič volej". Pogodili me loptom, i zasuli svoga pićem.

Olga: Jesi li znao da je Kristina trudna?

Edited by nikolic993 on 28 June 2015 at 4:37pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 235 of 292
28 June 2015 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Budva spoiler alert!

Thank you nikolić, that is sooooooo helpful :) :) :) :) :)

The phrases I could hear but couldn't understand at all were:

zatek'o na gliseru
džukele
prsluk od kevlara

And out of the entire phrase "U'vatim jednog za grkljan" the only bit I managed to
catch was "grk" :D

So I have learned that a "gliser" is some sort of motorboat. "Prsluk" looks like a
waistcoat and "kevlar" seems to be some sort of fibre, so I'm guessing "prsluk od
kevlara" is a bullet-proof jacket. "Džukele" looks like they might be some sort of
mongrel dog, so I'm guessing it's a derogatory term for the two men he was fighting.

Still no idea why he was fighting two men in the middle of the sea :D But the whole
scene makes so much more sense to me now than it did last night which is fantastic :)
:)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 236 of 292
28 June 2015 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
This post doesn't have any Budva spoilers in it :)

At lunchtime today my boyfriend and I listened to the first Pimsleur Lithuanian lesson
together. Wow, Lithuanian is difficult! I tend to complain about Pimsleur a lot when I
use it, but this is the first time that my complaint has been that it's going too fast
:D I'm ashamed that by the end of lesson 1 I haven't even mastered how to say that I'm
an American man :(

Today has been one of those beautiful weekend days when I didn't have any obligations,
so I've been able to make some good progress with Glossika. I played the A files for
the first 100 sentences and used them as dictation to write out the sentences. The
pace was a little fast for me (I'm not sure whether the gaps are supposed to be long
enough to write the sentences in, but I'm too impatient to keep pausing!).

I've already found my favourite sentences of the entire course:

90. To je moje sedište.
91. Ne, nije.

I know this isn't a course where the sentences vary depending on which language you're
studying, but I honestly couldn't think of a better pair of sentences for a Serbian
course :D

I've also tried to get back into the Output Challenge and written 912 words about my
typical day (spoiler - it's not very exciting!). Waiting for that to get corrected at
lang-8 at the moment, but assuming the word count doesn't change drastically I will be
at 5,617 words for the Output Challenge.

Edited by Radioclare on 28 June 2015 at 9:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 237 of 292
28 June 2015 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
... but assuming the word count doesn't change drastically I will be
at 5,617 words for the Output Challenge.

Yay! Go Girl!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 238 of 292
28 June 2015 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
My progress? What where? :)))

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 239 of 292
28 June 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Well when I looked at the SC stats page the other day, I realised that you'd watched an
impressive 7 episodes of 'Budva' during June, whereas before Friday I'd watched a rather
pathetic 1 episode. So I felt like I ought to make more effort :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 240 of 292
29 June 2015 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Aww haha :) Glad to provide some competition then :) I would totally be less motivated if I couldn't ask you to explain stuff :)

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version