Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s tac log 2015 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
292 messages over 37 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 281 of 292
15 July 2015 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Which language are you struggling to get corrected on lang-8, Expug? I do seem to be
extraordinarily lucky in that I often get my texts corrected within a few hours and it's
unusual for it to take longer than a day for someone to respond. I think I am benefiting
from the fact that there are far more Croatians learning languages on the website than
people from other countries trying to learn Croatian. Basica seems to get pretty rapid
corrections for Serbian too, although it is irritating that you have to specify whether a
text is in Croatian or Serbian, so I generally I only get Croatians correcting my stuff
despite the fact that Serbians could doubtless correct it equally well.

I can't even use commas accurately in English :D If my only mistakes were in punctuation
I would be ecstatic :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 282 of 292
15 July 2015 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Any of my languages I try there: French, Norwegian and Georgian. It used to be better with French, but lately no luck. As for Norwegian I haven't got any corrections at all. With Georgian I used to get instant corrections too, but somehow it faded. I posted there yesterday and someone 'tried' to correct it, but seemed to have some problems.

I usually cross-post at italki, where I used to have more lucky for Norwegian, but I don't have that luch anymore. I cross-posted my Georgian text in the hope that either one of the communities correct it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 283 of 292
16 July 2015 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
That's frustrating :( My theory was that it would be harder to get corrections for French as there are more people learning that and needing corrections than with Georgian, but sounds like that isn't the case! I will make the most of getting Croatian corrections while I can.

Yesterday's words...

Quote:
Danas sam radila kod kuće. Bila sam umorna nakon jučerašnje proslave i nisam imala sastanke zbog kojih bih morala biti u uredu. Nemam često priliku raditi kod kuće jer obično postoji neki konkretni razlog zbog kojeg moram vidjeti ili kolege ili klijente. Međutim, jako mi se sviđa rad kod kuće. Mislim da sam efikasnija kada nema stalnih prekida. Kada radim kod kuće, telefon ne zvoni previše i mogu se usredotočiti. Kod kuće me najviše prekidaju mačke koje uvijek žele sjediti na mom računalu. Naravno, slažem se da je važno ponekad biti zajedno s kolegama, ali se pitam hoće li jednog dana biti normalno raditi kod kuće i razgovarati s kolegama preko, primjerice, Skype-a.

There are definitely going to be Budva spoilers in the rest of this post because I watched the penultimate episode last night.

OMG. Where to start?! Well, it was very exciting and one scene even made me cry. Have I achieved B1 listening if Montenegrin dialogue makes me cry?! Who knows :)

The main story line of the series came to a head when Savo finally discovered the background of the mysterious woman he is on the verge of marrying. This was thanks to the efforts of his daughter Bojana and her journalist friend with the uncle who speaks Esperanto. They had tracked the woman, Mila, down to the home which she shares with her disabled father and scary psycho brother and Bojana passed the address on to Savo, who decided to do the completely logical thing and break into it with a crowbar.

The psycho brother luckily wasn't there, as conveniently he was sitting on a beach trying to convince Mila that she needed to go ahead with their plan to murder Savo. Mila was waivering, because her father had miraculously regained the ability to speak in a previous episode and told her that she needed to stop what she was doing. Savo was therefore confronted with the father, who instantly recognised him, although Savo had no idea who he was.

It turned out that Mila's father had been an important colonel during the Yugoslavian years and very close to Tito. He had obviously been very upset by the breakdown of Yugoslavia, and we had a flashback to a scene when he was in the grounds of a beautiful villa (it wasn't clear whether it belonged to him or to Tito) and a younger version of Savo turned up with boxes of American cigarettes, which he proceeded to hand out to other people who looked like military officials. I think basically Savo was buying the villa off them at a knock-down price. The father came running up shouting that they were traitors and he was so upset about it that he had a stroke, which is the source of his present incapacity. Mila, who was a small girl at the time, was there and saw what happened. So ever since, she and her brother have been intent on destroying Savo and the other people involved.

Savo eventually realised who the father was and made the quite reasonable points that a) he wasn't responsible for the guy having had a stroke and b) he wasn't responsible for the fall of Yugoslavia either, but the father seemed to see him as a symbol of the type of person who was responsible for these things. The father asked Savo to kill him, which seemed rather unreasonable, and Savo refused and left.

Shortly afterwards the scary brother returned and freaked out when he saw someone had broken into the house. The father repeated what Mila had been saying to him; that they needed to stop pursuing Savo, stop trying to get revenge and move on with their lives. The father repeated this over and over again but the brother couldn't process it, I guess because he'd spent his entire life trying to get revenge on these people. He was shouting at the father to stop saying that but the father kept saying it over and over again until the son lost it. Then we had possibly the most disturbing scene in the entire history of Budva, when the son picked up a ceramic plant pot and hit his father with it repeatedly until he went quiet. You didn't see the father, just the son wielding the pot and each time he raised it, it was covered in blood...

Meanwhile a few minor storylines came to a conclusion and Savo was back with Mila. Rather than confronting her about her father he proceeded to have a completely normal conversation with her. Not sure whether he was biding his time to mention it or whether it hadn't occurred to him that maybe her intentions towards him were less than honourable. Either way, it turned out to be a bad decision as her scary brother called her and told him that Savo had broken into the house while they were out and killed their father. Mila tricks Savo into driving her to a remote location, whereupon her brother hits him over the head with a crowbar and she holds him at gunpoint... and that's where the episode ended!

Definitely going to watch the final episode this evening :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 284 of 292
16 July 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent made me aware that Serbian/Croatian has been added to the list of languages you can test yourself on at the Online Diagnostic Assessment website. This is very exciting; you can only test reading for the time being, but hopefully listening might be added soon too.

I have tried the reading test and it is HARD! I guess partly because it is showing you questions above the level where it thinks you are to check you're not at the level above yet. It's basically a reading comprehension test (you type answers to questions on Serbian/Croatian texts in English) but I found the themes of the texts were quite challenging, being mainly political or economic themes (for example I had one text about the economic consequences of the sale of a Serbian oil company).

What also made it difficult for me is that the texts roughly alternated between the Latin alphabet and Serbian Cyrillic. Luckily it wasn't a timed test, because my Cyrillic reading speed is still slow. I found reading comprehension a lot more difficult for the Cyrillic texts because I couldn't just glance at a paragraph and pick out the key words as I could in Croatian; I had to read each word in the paragraph one by word to puzzle out what it was about.

My results are here.

If the link doesn't work, I came out as level 2+. I scored 77.78% on content questions at that level (only 55.56% at the next level 3) and 92.59% on linguistic questions at that level (74.07% at the next level). Interestingly, it gives you the marks for "Croatian only" separately to "All Serbian/Croatian", which I guess makes it possible to judge how much reading Cyrillic impacted your scores. It doesn't look like it made a huge impact in my case.

The big question is - what does level 2+ actually mean?! It's an American scoring system and according to Wikipedia it equates to B2.

So I'm extremely happy with that result :) :) :)

Edited by Radioclare on 16 July 2015 at 3:00pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 285 of 292
16 July 2015 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Told you so! =D It was only a matter of getting yourself tested to confirm what everyone already knew.

I try not to make a big deal of it, because I'm the one who chose to learn 10 languages at once, after all. Had I been learning one or two and writing regularly, perhaps I'd have enough friends on lang-8 to constantly correct me. In the case of French and German, at least for shorter paragraphs, I can always contact friends at a webchat. So I really shouldn't make a big deal out of it, not let it discourage me from practicing.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4365 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 286 of 292
16 July 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Okay, okay, perhaps you are all better at determining my level than I am ;) Perhaps at the end of the year I need to
organise a poll on my log so you can vote for whether I reached B2 or not :D

Today's words...

Quote:
Danas sam pogledala posljednju epizodu serije „Budva na pjenu od mora“. Bila je jako uzbudljiva. Sada sam
malo tužna jer nemam ništa da gledam na hrvatskom ili srpskom. Kada sam počela gledati Budvu, serija mi se činila
strašno. Mislila sam da su glumci loši, dijalog prespor čak za mene kao strankinju, i nije mi se svidjela glazba.
Međutim, konačno sam se navikla na sve to i počela uživati u seriji. Još uvijek su mi naglasci čudni. Primjer, skoro
svi likovi kažu „šjutra“ umjesto „sutra“, „šjedi“ umjesto „sjedi“ i tako dalje, ali sam navikla i na to. Zapravo
mislim da ću morati biti oprezna kada odem u Hrvatsku ovog ljeta da ne govorim tako! Imam dojam da su reditelji
htjeli da serija utiče na ljude tako da svi hoće ljetovati u Crnoj Gori. Ne znam hoće li biti uspješno zato što mi
se čini da je možda previše oružja i zločina u seriji. Kad bi moja majka pogledala tu seriju, sigurna sam da bi
rekla da je opasno putovati u Crnu Goru na odmor! Ipak, već sam dvaput bila u Crnoj Gori i nikada nisam imala
problema. Čak sam posjetila Budvu, mada mislim da grad u stvarnosti nije tako lijep kako izgleda na televiziji.

There were more (silly!) mistakes in that text than I would have liked, but never mind. I was a bit over-excited
because I finally watched the last episode of 'Budva na pjenu od mora'. Wow. There was a lot of suspense! In the
final episode we had a death (though not necessarily of the person I was expecting), an engagement and a birth, so
pretty much all storylines were resolved. It was really, really good. I cried again!

And now I feel like I have been orphaned by a series again - not sure what I am going to watch to take it's place. I
ideally want to watch something Croatian (for cultural reasons really, because I feel like I've spent too long
absorbing weird Montenegrin accents, and when I watched a Croatian series before I learned a lot of Zagreb slang
from it). But I want something that I can watch without a lot of hassle; the best thing about the two series I have
watched so far have been freely available on Youtube, which makes life a lot easier. I have heard that one of the
biggest Croatian TV series ever is "Larin Izbor" so I would quite like to try that, but it seems virtually
impossible to find all the episodes online (there are a lot of episodes!) so not sure that is going to work :(

basica
Australia
Joined 3318 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 287 of 292
17 July 2015 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Okay, okay, perhaps you are all better at determining my level
than I am ;) Perhaps at the end of the year I need to organise a poll on my log so you
can vote for whether I reached B2 or not :D

I think it's got to do with one's personality. Those who tend to be perfectionists
(like myself) will look at a list of criteria and go "Hmm, I only meet 97 out of the
100 key proficiencies - obviously I haven't met the requirements yet!" while others
tend to go "Hmm, I've met 35 out of 100, 35 is nearly 50, 50 is a pass on an exam so
therefore I must have met the requirements!". People tend to be more on one extreme or
the other and much more rarely in the middle.

U svakom slučaju ( :P ), you have made excellent progress! I also hope you do find a
TV show replacement :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 288 of 292
17 July 2015 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Awww, but I think it's pretty clear that you're B2 in reading at least. I mean level 2 is already B2, and you got 2+.

In terms of for example basic fluency, the real issue is whether you feel comfortable saying "I speak Croatian" and in general if you can speak it with some fluency (in the technical sense) and even confidence. If you lack these, you probably need to accept that there *will* be moments when you lack accuracy. Just speak and don't worry, and I know it's easier said than done. I think glossika can help a lot with that, and of course your next trip to Croatia.

Edited by Serpent on 17 July 2015 at 6:15am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 292 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version