Groupie
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 1 of 6
03 January 2015 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
I thought this might be of interest to those of you who like to follow YouTube channels for language learning.
Recently, I stumbled across a community on YouTube called BookTubers. They’re YouTubers who love to talk
about books and record their book reviews (and other bookish content) to YouTube. I’ve been looking for
YouTube channels to follow in Spanish and Italian so I did a quick search on YouTube to see if BookTubing
was popular across the world. And I was excited to find out that yes, it is. All you need to do is go to YouTube
and search for “BookTube” + “Name of language (or country)” and you will probably find a channel.

These channels are great because the content is usually a bit meatier than most YouTube channels; you can
practice listening to everyday, spoken language; you will get recommendations for book titles in your target
language; and you can also practice reading as I have noticed that the comments on these types of videos are
usually longer and more thoughtful than other YouTube videos.

Here are the channels that I stumbled across in Spanish:
JavierRuescas (also an author)
laspalabrasdefa
El coleccionista de mundos

Then I tried searching for "BookTube" + "Italia" and found this channel:
Sara Boero (also an author)

I saw that there are more channels but haven’t had a chance to check out any others yet. There are videos
linked on the Facebook page: BookTubers Italia

Those are the only two languages I know (besides English), but I wanted to see if BookTube channels exist in
other languages as well. So I tried a search in Russian and found this channel:
snowrowans
So it seems that this is a good way to find YouTube channels in foreign languages.

Hope this is helpful! If you follow literary channels on YouTube, do share your recommendations.
8 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 6
03 January 2015 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
That's a very cool find.

Here's one on Books in Spanish with French subtitles.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 

Message 3 of 6
04 January 2015 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, Luke!
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 4 of 6
05 January 2015 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
My recommendation is not connected to BookTube, but still. If you want to watch how philologists, writers, poets and theatre's folk discuss books in Russian, look for "Игра в бисер". There are some episodes available, for example this one about Anna Karenina. They discuss different books, not just Russian ones, the programme is named in honour of Heinrich Hesse's novel.
It also requires quite a high level of Russian. Sometimes they argue so loud, saying things simultaneously, even I don't understand what's going on :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 

Message 5 of 6
05 January 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Via Diva! This makes me wish so badly that I was studying Russian. Anna Karenina is one of my
favorite novels, and I'd love to read it in the original language one day. I'm definitely bookmarking this for
when I finally begin my Russian studies.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3616 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 6 of 6
05 January 2015 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
This is a great idea! I vaguely knew about BookTube, but had never watched any in English
and hadn't even thought about their potential as language resources. Thank you!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version