imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4694 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 1 of 4
03 January 2015 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

(Warning - I'm not good with introductions, it's most likely that the following text is very boring.)

So, it's 2015 - I'm not quite sure if I should write finally (because the TAC has begun) or already (as another year has passed). I hope to stick with my Super Challenge languages French, Portuguese and Welsh and with English (always room for improvement) this year and not to give in to the Sirens' calls of other languages.

My main learning materials:
- the Say Something in Welsh audio courses
- Lehrbuch der walisischen Sprache by Britta Schulze-Thulin, Hamburg : Buske, 2006. ISBN 978-3-87548-403-8

I have a couple of other books at home (I'm still on Christmas/New Year's holidays at my parents house) that I'll list when I'm back at my place.

I've played around with Welsh for quite some time now, but I think I wasn't serious enough about it. So my goal for this year (actually for the first nine month) is to learn enough that I can pick up one of my three Roald Dahl children's books by October and start reading it without looking up every other word and to finish reading it by the end of the year.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
03 January 2015 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
It's great to have you on the team! (your log is now on the main page as well)

Reading literature in a foreign language is indeed a nice goal.

I'll update the Welsh links and resources later today.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 4
04 January 2015 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Bore da, teammate! I really like your goal of reading Roald Dahl stories in Welsh by the end of the year. I discovered Dahl's translated books were just the right level for me whilst transitioning between intermediate and advanced novels in German, and of course, they are a lot of fun to read. Pob lwc with all your language goals this year!

Edited by Teango on 04 January 2015 at 7:58pm

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4694 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 4 of 4
31 January 2015 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
It's already the last day of January and I'm somehow drawn between the feelings of "it can't already be the 31st today" and "I haven't had holidays for about a year".
I think I'm feeling like this because while I was away for 2,5 weeks for Christmas/New Year some of my *insert swear word of choice here* female colleagues' egos clashed so my boss decided to change seating arrengements in the bureaus - again. And guess who was the lucky one to switch her bureau for the second time in 15 month without having participated in any kind of drama? Yep, you guessed right. I'm now sharing the bureau with 3 secretaries who are constantly talking to each other or to someone over the phone. And though I like to chat with them once in a while (it's working wonders for my spoken French) I don't want to spend my lunch break eating with and talking to them! And no, I don't want to explain myself every other day why I don't want to spend this time with them. I want to eat my lunch and study because that's one of the few times of the day when I'm not working or driving (commuting) and am awake enough to do so.
Okay, rant finished.

So, January.

I worked through the first 2 chapters of my textbook and I think I managed to learn and forget most of the vocabulary apart from the words I had already learned through the "Say Something in Welsh" course. Well, it's not really that bad, but I'm struggling quite a bit to bring spelling and pronunciation together.

To escape the noise in my new office I listened to quite a lot BBC Radio Cymru via headphones the last 3 weeks (1 or 2 hours each day). Obviously I hardly understood anything, but I hope it'll help me with general things like language melody and intonation.

I kept on watching Welsh tv (with English subs) for my Super Challenge of course the obligatory Pobol y Cwm though I still haven't seen the episodes from last 3 weeks because I first wanted to finish the first series of Y Gwyll (Hinterland) which I think is absolutely brilliant - can't wait for them to film a second series!
Today I watched Dan y Wenallt - a Welsh language production of Under Milk Wood with Rhys Ifans as Captain Cat. I didn't know Dylan Thomas' drama before and it is quite bizarre but also somehow very poetic ... Unfortunately today was the final day to watch it on S4C, I really would like to watch it again someday.

Edited by Mani on 01 February 2015 at 9:46am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version