jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 15
03 January 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Hello, A friend has given me the sound tapes for the 1986 version of Assimil's le Polonais sans Peine. But the book is lost. I can buy a copy of the 1990 version of the text, and wonder if it can be used with the 1986 sound. The author, by the way, of both versions is the same, Barbara Kuszmider. Hopefully someone out there is knowledgeable enough to tell me if these versions of the course are the same.

I'd really appreciate any help any of you can give me.

Cheers,
John
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3641 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 2 of 15
03 January 2015 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Afaik, now there are 2 versions of the polish by Barbara Kuszmider: the one published in 1985 and the one published in 2003. These two editions are totally different.
So for me (and you should wait for a confirmation of another user to be sure) logically you should be able to use the 1986 sound with a copy of 1990. If there are changes, there should be very minor (corrections of typos)

Edited by Arnaud25 on 03 January 2015 at 4:11pm

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 15
03 January 2015 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both, I was wondering about this just the other day. Jpazzz, for comparison purposes, here are the dialogues from the first two lessons of the 2003 edition:

Lekcja pierwsza - Miło mi
Dzień dobry.
Nazywam się Marek Nowak.
Miło mi. Anna Kowalska.
Pan tu sama?
Tak, a pan?
Ja też.

Lekcja druga – Smacznego!
Co podać?
Mamy zupy schab...
A jest bigos?
Tak. A co do picia?
Proszę. Bigos Zywiec.
Smacznego!
Dziękuje.

Sorry, some of the diacritical marks are missing as I do not have the complete character set.

Edited by Speakeasy on 03 January 2015 at 4:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gunjumero
Canada
Joined 3467 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: French*

Message 4 of 15
03 January 2015 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
1985 Edition :
Lekcja pierwsza- To nie problem
Lekcja druga Bardzo dobrze

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 5 of 15
04 January 2015 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Hello all, Thank you for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge. I've ordered a copy of the 1990 edition. If you'd like, when it arrives, I'll let you know what the first couple of lessons are.

Cheers,
John

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 

Message 6 of 15
15 January 2015 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Hello all, The 1990 copy of le polonais sans peine arrived today. It is identical to the 1985 version, in fact, in one place it identifies it as a 1985 copyrite.
Hope this helps. In any case, my thanks to all of you who helped.

Cheers,
John

Neumanx
Germany
Joined 3344 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English

Message 7 of 15
09 April 2015 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Hello all, I am sorry to revive this thread, but its title is the most suitable for my
question. I heard that Assimil released a new edition of its Polish course "Le Polonais"
(collection sans peine) on March 12th, 2015. On Soundcloud you can listen to lessons 1, 50,
and 100, whose text seems to be the same as in the previous edition of 2003, but recorded
with different voices. The book is a little thicker, but it has the same number of lessons
(100). Does anybody know if there are any major changes in this version worthwhile buying it? By the way, the same question applies to Assimil's new Czech course "Le Tchèque" which has 92
lessons exactly like the previous course "Le Tchèque sans peine".

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 8 of 15
10 April 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Hello Neumanx

Your question is quite pertinent and, hopefully, someone will be able to provide a definitive answer.

My Experiences in Differentiating Editions of Assimil Courses
I am such a great fan of the Assimil courses that, in several cases, I have bought what-have-been-labelled-as “previous editions” of their courses, my objective being to “double up” on the practice material for a given language. However, the question of “Editions” is not at all obvious and I have been “led astray” more than once; led astray in the sense that I have bought the “same content” despite indications from Assimil and from Booksellers that the previous edition was, indeed, different from the current one. For example, let us say that I am beginning to study a given language and that I have purchased the “latest edition” of Assimil for that language. Locating the “true” previous edition (in terms of content) is not at all obvious!

New Editions -- Changes to Recording Media Only
It seems to me that Assimil has published what they label as a “new edition” whenever they make a change in the recording medium as: from cassettes to CDs, from CDs to MP3, from CDs to CDs-plus-MP3, from all of the previous media to including EBook, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. This has lead me, on several occasions, to buying a “previous edition” for which the content was exactly the same as the “latest edition” even though the time span between the editions was as much as a decade or more. To complicate matters, the English-language and French-language “editions” do not bear the same dates even though the target language content is identical!

New Editions -- Minor Changes to the Content Only
In some cases, Assimil has issued a “new edition” when the only “true” change to the content has been the inclusion of a recorded dialogue in every seventh lesson that had been previously reserved for the presentation of a review of the grammatical issues illustrated in the previous six lessons. Often, these new editions also include a glossary and a table of contents that were absent from the previous editions. I suppose that, since these so-called new editions are technically different from the previous ones, then we can consider them new. However, since the dialogues and the exercises are often unchanged, I still feel that I have been led astray.

New Editions – Classification by Booksellers
Furthermore, I have found that the classification of these “editions” on AbeBooks and Amazon to be of no help whatsoever, particularly in cases where the ultimate seller was a small, independent bookseller offering their wares on these larger websites. And, when I complained that to the smaller booksellers that they had shipped the wrong edition, they advised me that AbeBooks or Amazon classified their books on the websites in a particular way and that they, the small bookseller, had no control over the matter but were held responsible for reimbursing the customer! To be fair, local Booksellers in my area have not been much better in differentiating the Assimil editions.

My Recommendation
Although other Forum Members might have had better experiences than I have, I would suggest caution when buying “new” editions! That is, your question here is, indeed, pertinent, and … I’m sorry that I don’t have a definitive answer.

Edited by Speakeasy on 10 April 2015 at 12:59am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version