Germany
Joined 3840 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 33 of 49
06 March 2015 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,
I know it's already March and starting now would be no real total annihilation ^^ However, I
just finished exams and the semester of university stuff which really stopped me from doing
anything else than learning chemistry (after a long day of university there was no energy left
to really study something else)
That is why I want to start now. One of my plans is to improve my English and I'd consider
my skills as advanced. I wonder whether you are still open to new members? If not, I hope
that you'll answer me a few or one questions at least. :)

What would you suggest as study resources. And here I mean mostly grammar. I know there
are many different opinions on whether to study grammar or not, but sometimes I'd like to
know how it is correct. And work on a few things with a good study book would be nice.

My goal for English is to improve in mostly scientific terms. I'll write my Bachelor thesis this
year and I could do it in English if I want to. And this would be a very great opportunity, but
not easy as I never really learned to write scientific English. I wrote a few reports, but there
are plenty of things I can improve.

I will link my log, when I have created it (and you still accept me as a team member... I'm not
really sure what to do in TAC as I failed last year... due to the start of this last and very very
very ... hard semester..)

Greetings to you all,
Komma
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 34 of 49
29 March 2015 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the late reply, but of course you're accepted :)
Just try to be regular in studies. As for grammar - Murphy. Don't know anything that works better. But I haven't
tried much things anyway.

Any ideas about the April challenge? I am thinking about recording a spoken improv, maybe make improv
dialogues with one another or volunteering natives. But I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3310 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English, GermanB2
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 35 of 49
01 April 2015 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Hi all,
I'm here because of the suggestion given by iguanamon in my presentation thread.
I think that in some sense I can say that my English is advanced, but I don't know if it's advanced enough for this team.
Although I've studied English since I was 8, I studied it mainly in school and, as the school ended five years ago, I trained my language only reading (scientific articles and internet forums) and, sometimes watching tv series (I'm a great fan of TopGear).
I can say that my comprehension in reading is good, I can even study on books written in technical English, but I have some problems with listening and, mainly, with speaking: I don't speak much and, when I speak, due to agitation, I make grammar errors.
So, that's me.
Can I try to enjoy this team?

I've already opened a log, but for German and Modern Hebrew. I didn't it for English because I'm not making 'direct' grammar exercises, but I'm refreshing my language speaking with you, writing on the forum and making online courses (English->German on duolingo and English->Hebrew on hebrewpod101), but if you think it's necessary I'll add English and share the link of my log :)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 36 of 49
01 April 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Sure you can join the team. Although I have to say that writing even the small bits in a log is a way to detect if
you're still active somehow.

eugen
Triglot
Italy
Joined 3310 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English, GermanB2
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 37 of 49
02 April 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Via Diva! So, I started a log for my English, here's the link:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=40274&PN=1&TPN=1
It's in the same thread of German and Modern Hebrew, but I put a separator between the languages, so I think it's no problem.

I'm waiting for the April challenge! (I hope that it will be not necessary a microphone, at the moment I don't have it...)

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 38 of 49
02 April 2015 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
eugen wrote:
I'm waiting for the April challenge! (I hope that it will be not necessary a microphone, at the moment I don't have it...)

CORRECTION: I hope that a microphone won't be necessary. At the moment, I don't have one.

Good to see you've joined the team. Your English is understandable. It just needs a little polishing. I do encourage you to join and write short texts on lang8.com for correction. You may also find someone there with whom to do a language exchange in English, Hebrew and German. This group doesn't do skype, as far as I know, so you won't need a microphone. Even if they did do skype, it's hard to improve speaking a language if one only speaks it with non-native speakers.

Good luck Eugen!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 39 of 49
02 April 2015 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Even if they did do skype, it's hard to improve speaking a language if one only speaks it
with non-native speakers.

I can't agree here :) but of course that requires a lot of native input.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3840 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 40 of 49
12 April 2015 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
[quote=Via Diva]Sorry for the late reply, but of course you're accepted :)
Just try to be regular in studies. As for grammar - Murphy. Don't know anything that works better. But I haven't
tried much things anyway. [quote]

Thank you. I've got my log TID=40158">here.
I have been a bit busy with Easter and starting my bachelor thesis that I haven't updated lately. That will change
however :)

[quote=Via Diva]Any ideas about the April challenge? I am thinking about recording a spoken improv, maybe make
improv
dialogues with one another or volunteering natives. But I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter. [quote]

That would be interesting. Maybe I'll try some monologue (as I don't know any natives..). I hope the micro of my Laptop
still works.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version