48 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 48
05 January 2015 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Happy New Year!
One thing I've noticed is that most of the challenges don't cover music. So I present to you the Music challenge!
(let me know if you have other ideas for the title)

The goal is simply to discover more new music in foreign languages, even the ones you're not learning (for example, if you feel wanderlust or want to explore a different culture).

[ Wikia page ][ Registration/purposes of this thread ][ Resources ]

The challenge is weekly. There will be no points system or winners. The wikia page will be used for keeping track.

There are three ways of completing a week's challenge:
1) one album per week
2) one song per day (7 songs)
3) two songs per weekday (10 songs)

(you can do more than one type in the same week!)

An album has to be listened to in its entirety, although bonus tracks or remixes can be skipped. Due to the two other kinds of challenges, the minimal length is 7 songs or 40 minutes (for bands like Moonsorrow). Compilations count, self-published online albums also do. Fanmixes don't count as albums. If you skip the bonus tracks, the minimal length requirements should still apply. Double albums (min. 15 songs) can be spread over two weeks and don't have to be done consecutively. Speaking of that, you don't have to listen to the songs in the "official" order, and you can devote more attention to some songs than to others, as long as you give each of them at least one listen.

If anything I mentioned is a problem for you, or if you want more variety, go for the song-based challenge. You can mix and match them as you like, but especially for the 7-song challenge, you're highly encouraged to listen to the song more than once. If you're disappointed with your song of the day, why not just find a new one? This way you don't even have to keep listening to the end. (cont. in the next post)

Edited by Serpent on 20 January 2015 at 2:21am

10 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 48
05 January 2015 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Getting to know a song is a very subjective notion. Since there are no points, you can choose any reasonable definition for unfamiliar songs (and familiar ones). I personally think that if you've only heard a song live, or only a couple of times without really paying attention, it can still count.

If you can sing along perfectly, it obviously doesn't count as a new song, even if you have no clue what you're singing. However, you can also declare a revision week and come back to familiar songs in order to learn them more properly. Again, the definition of "proper" is up to you - you don't have to translate the song or learn it by heart if you don't want to! Whatever works for you! Songs for the revision week don't need to be the ones you've already used for the challenge, just any songs you happen to know but want to know better (whatever that means). Furthermore, you don't have to stop discovering new music just because you're going back to old songs. Write "new+old" if you're doing both.

Finally, although almost everything is allowed, feel free to set a personal challenge if it motivates you. You can require all songs to be in a specific language or do a different language every day. However, to keep the wikia page neat, please don't add any extra information to the table. Post about it here.

This thread has several other purposes too.

REGISTRATION
You don't have to register (especially in advance), but it's encouraged. I ask you to cover the following information but you don't have to stick to a rigid format.

Name/username (feel free to include your last.fm username or similar)
Do you count weeks starting from Monday or Sunday? Exceptions are allowed. For example, the challenge was started on a Monday
Preferred challenge type (optional) Mostly if you have a very strong preference or if there's only one type that works for you
Personal definitions, restrictions, challenges
Favourite music genres (optional)

TECHNICAL SUPPORT for the wikia page
If you have any technical difficulties, you can ask a question or request your username to be added (please state clearly where)

SHARING AND DISCUSSING THE SONGS
If you want to list the songs/albums you listened to, this thread is the place for it. Please post only about the songs you (re)discover; however, you can post here even if you don't meet the weekly challenge requirements.
It's highly encouraged to share Youtube links (or also the ones on Spotify, Lyricstraining etc - please no links to filesharing services unless it was officially posted by the band).
Remember to warn for NSFW or potentially offensive/triggering content.

Edited by Serpent on 05 January 2015 at 1:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 3 of 48
05 January 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
RESOURCES
Youtube.com (duh)
Last.fm
Spotify
Lyricstraining
Using music to improve your listening (wikia article); includes a section on how other challenges handle music
List of music sorted by language (wikia article)
LyricsTranslate.com

Browser add-ons
Last.Fm scrobbler for Youtube
Enhanced media player for Youtube (Firefox)
Now Playing notifier for Youtube (Firefox)
Firefox add-on search results for "music"

Feel free to suggest more links!

Edited by Serpent on 23 January 2015 at 6:17am

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 4 of 48
05 January 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Oh damn, this is the way to explore my huge collection and stop listen to one band for weeks and months. I'm in!

Name/username; viadiva (my last.fm nickname happens to be the same), viadiva9 for Twitter or vk.com
I count weeks from Monday, but the time when I can listen the most comes on Sunday, so most of the week is just a preparation, haha
Preferred challenge type: one album per week
Genres: progressive/ progressive death/doom metal, avant-garde, heavy metal, black metal, alternative/post-grunge, folk metal, gothic metal... nah, you get the point.

'tis sad that I can't tell about the gems I know, but it's also the best way to discover new ones!
And I am gonna count everything new/revisited, I can't sing along even to English songs, cause my listening skills are weak.

Edited by Via Diva on 05 January 2015 at 2:22pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 5 of 48
05 January 2015 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the positive feedback!
I've now added a quick comparison of how different challenges handle music.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 48
05 January 2015 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
My number 1 for now.

Нам нужна одна победа ( А Студио )
We need a victory by A Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2W47fpL7pI

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 48
05 January 2015 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Definitely up for this! Not sure how consistent I'll be but I'll give it a try.

Name/username: Gary (gaz514 on last.fm)
Do you count weeks starting from Monday or Sunday? Monday.
Personal definitions, restrictions, challenges: Mostly French and Italian, maybe also Spanish.
Favourite music genres (optional): Metal, rock, hip-hop.

Edited by garyb on 05 January 2015 at 2:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 48
05 January 2015 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
I just checked that last.fm and it's like all bands I love and have seen (in most
cases)....

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version