23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5132 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 9 of 23
07 January 2015 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
A lot is worth putting up with in order to have such valuable and high quality materials available for languages that are devoid of them otherwise.

The prices charged for worthless internet interactive apps and "learn to speak a language right away" materials I do find outrageous.
2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7008 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 23
07 January 2015 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I remember they had lots of problems with the site also. One order I made was by phone, when
they did take them. The cassette issue was a strange one, as a woman emailed me, that I can
buy a cheap cassette player for the Papiamento reader. My reply was not in favour, due to one
player, just for the sole purpose of one reader. I emailed her saying I would wait. They did
release it on cds eventually.

Another point of interest, is that Professor Argüelles had three publications with them.
"The Handbook of Korean Verbal Conjugation", "Korean Newspaper Reader", and "North Korean
Reader". I can honestly say I don't run into North Korean resources very often.

Edited by alang on 07 January 2015 at 6:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3839 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 23
08 January 2015 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
I have not used any of the Dunwoody Press materials as the languages that they specialize in are not amongst those that interest me the most. However, since it is possible that this publisher has ceased operations permanently, IF I were a student of any these more exotic languages, I would consider “stocking up” on the available inventory before it all disappears. I conducted a superficial search and located the following sellers:

Alibris: Dunwoody Press

Bay Foreign Language Books: Dunwoody Press

Schoenhof's Foreign Books: Dunwoody Press

I am sure that many other suppliers exist, either online or otherwise; however, it is possible that their catalogues are not easily accessible by the publisher's name. Good luck with your own searches!

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5132 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 12 of 23
18 January 2015 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Have there been any news?

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7008 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 13 of 23
18 January 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 

If the site is still not up, then presume the worse, until further notice. That is what
I have done. The direct address for the website no longer shows up on a google search any
more.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 23
21 February 2015 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
This is incredibly sad news.

JohnPaul
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5497 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 23
13 April 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
I was interested in some of their Persian resources, though not seriously. I did a bit of Googling and
then then a bit of hunting in the Internet Archive. I found some interesting things.

I don't believe the publisher has gone out of business per se, but rather has become an internal
publisher. Dunwoody was purchased by McNeil Technologies in 1999, one of those opaque
companies that provides services to shady US government agencies. In 2010 the company became
a part of AECOM, which is another similar though larger company. In November AECOM acquired
URS corp, which is another Haliburton/Bechtel like conglomerate.

It appears that Dunwoody served as the learning and teaching resources provider for McNeil's
business in providing the US DoD and other agencies with language testing, training, interpretation,
translation, etc.

From what I can dig up AECOM is still providing the same services and no doubt need the publishing
arm to continue their work, it simply appears to be a situation where the retail publishing was seen as
non essential and thus outwardly shut down. This is too bad.

Someone should contact the Professor. See what he has been told about the books of his that he
published.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5132 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 16 of 23
14 April 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I had ordered from Bay Foreign Language Books before and always received great customer service, so I decided to write and ask them if they knew what happened to Dunwoody Press. This is the reply I received:

Bay Foreign Language Books wrote:
Good morning

We are sorry that we cannot help you with this publisher's books, apart from
those books that are in our stock, because the publisher ceased trading at
the beginning of this year. The owner said that he may start trading again
later in the year and that he would let us know if this happened but we
haven't heard anything yet.

May we suggest that you ask again in a few months time if you are still
interested and we can let you know if we have heard from the publisher.

Best regards

I have been obtaining some of the books from separate sources, but unfortunately the audio for them can not be found anywhere. This is immensely regrettably, since not only are these challenging languages for which audio support would be tremendously helpful, there are very few if any other materials at all available for them.

There are three sites I have seen that offer these books along with the audio, but they seem shady and despite contacting them on numerous occasions asking if they in fact have the materials in stock have received no reply. They are:

http://www.iinet.com/~ilcadmin/index.html

http://www.multilingualbooks.com/

http://www.worldlanguage.com/

Anyone dealt with them before?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version