Joined 5282 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 9 of 62
12 January 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Meyers wrote:

I'm in Aix-en-Provence.

Thanks for sharing Meyers. Nice location :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Meyers
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 3415 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 10 of 62
14 January 2015 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
A quick update so my progress so far -

French in Action - I'm up to lesson 6 exercise 30. I spent some extra time going over the numbers,
mainly because I'm still a bit slow with them.

Assimil - Lesson 9, I've only been doing one lesson a day so far, but I'm thinking about increasing it to
two lessons per day.

Memrise - I'm about 75% through the Learn Basic French course. I've been learning 10 new words a
day.

After reading some logs, I decided that I will start counting my time spent learning French, it will be interesting
to have some stats.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4842 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 11 of 62
14 January 2015 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
You're making good progress, keep it up!

Be prepared for French in action to get significantly harder around lessons 10-15 or so. Just don't let it get you down if you find it extremely difficult to understand some of the new characters!

I can't say I suggest doing two lessons of Assimil a day unless you are already very familiar with what the lesson is teaching you. However, if worst comes to worst you could try two lessons a day and then fall back to one lesson a day if you need to.

Edited by fortheo on 14 January 2015 at 1:24am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4715 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 62
14 January 2015 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Yes, I agree with Fortheo about both NFWE and FIA. The Assimil method is meant to help you assimilate the language, and to do that you need time to let it sink in. Plus, it will begin to get harder soon. If you find you have extra time, your time might be better spent doing extra listening or reading practice. Or switch to FWT for your additional time and do them in parallel.

Great job keeping consistent and regular!

Meyers
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 3415 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes

Message 13 of 62
15 January 2015 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice Jeffers and Fortheo! I decided to go with the advice you both sugguested and just stick
with one lesson per day.

What's new? We've had a few parties here, therefore lately I've had a lot of conversation practice.. The past
two days we've also had games of RISK (a board game) with eight people which was great fun but also a
great opportunity for me to practice speaking (especially numbers). I also started recording the time that I've
been spending on each course. I started recording on the 14th, so I think I will post my weekly stats every
sunday.

Progress so far -

French in Action - Finished lesson 6.

Assimil NFWE - Lesson 11 passive wave.

Memrise - Learn Basic French Course 80% completed.

edit - I looked for some Anki decks and found one to my liking which I will begin after completing my current
memrise course.

That's all for now,
Meyers.

Edited by Meyers on 16 January 2015 at 1:41pm

Meyers
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 3415 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes

Message 14 of 62
18 January 2015 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Weekly review

This is the first weekly review! I've spent a decent amount of time studying this week, and have learned a lot.
Last night we went to a party some friends were having, It was good opportunity to practice my French and
play some Fifa.

French in Action - I finished off lesson 6 this week and start lesson 7. So far I have watched the lesson
7 video several times, listened to the audio and read the text work up. So far I'm really enjoying FiA, I'm
understanding a lot and I like the teaching style.
Assimil NFWE - Today I went over lesson 14, which is a révision leçon. I did the various exercises and
spent some time going over the preceding lessons. I've been forgetting the genders of various words in the
assimil course, for example when I did exercise 2 of lesson 12 I only got half of the genders correct.
Memrise - I'm still going through my memrise course learning at least 10-15 words a day.

As I mentioned in the post above, every Sunday I will be posting 'my stats' mainly for my own keeping.

Week one Jan 14th-18th

Min time spent: 26 minutes.
Max time spent: 2 hours 39 minutes 41 seconds.
Average time per day: 1 hour 56 minutes 29 seconds.
Weekly total: 9 hours 42 minutes 29 seconds.

Edited by Meyers on 18 January 2015 at 9:34pm

Meyers
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 3415 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes

Message 15 of 62
26 January 2015 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Weekly review

This past week was rather busy for myself, on Wednesday I went to a party hosted by Sciences Po Aix, I
caught up with some friends and met some new people. All my girlfriend's friends are very encouraging when
it comes to speaking French.. They are also very patient and help me get my ideas across in French
whenever I get stuck searching for various words. On Friday we went to a film called Ida, it's a polish film set
in the 1960's, I thought that I might have a bit of trouble understanding because it's in Polish with French
subtitles but I thought why not.. The film is quite slow, which was helpful and in the end I understood about
75% of the film. On Saturday I went to another party where I practiced some more French with my friends
and even spoke some German with a couple of students.

French in Action - I started this week off by starting lesson 7, I watched the episode several times,
listened to the audio and did the first 6 exercises in the workbook. I would've liked to do more this week,
however I'm in no rush.
Assimil NFWE - Lesson 21 passive wave.
Memrise - Finished my memrise course, I will now begin a new memrise course or anki deck.

Week two Jan 19th-25th

Min time spent: 45 minutes 48 seconds.
Max time spent: 1 hour 46 minutes 18 seconds.
Average time per day 1 hour 13 minutes 31 seconds.
Weekly total: 8 hours 34 minutes 39 seconds.
Yearly total so far: 18 hours 17 minutes 8 seconds.

Edited by Meyers on 26 January 2015 at 10:24am

fortheo
United States
Joined 4842 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 16 of 62
26 January 2015 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Sounds like you're doing good. At least you're having real social experiences that involve french!

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version