Diglot
United States
Joined 4818 days ago

38 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
09 January 2015 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
I'm planning a trip to either Canada or France (maybe Switzerland).

BUT, I want to make sure I end up speaking as much French as possible, and LISTENING
to as much French as possible.

And tips?

I was thinking of attending book readings. There's usually a lively
question and answer session, and people mingle with strangers there.

I don't want to go through a "school immersion program" either. They are entirely TOO
expensive, and you are surrounded by English speakers, or non-French speakers.

I guess I could hang out at bars?

I'm sort of stumped.

So, let me know if you have any tips for clocking in as many hours of
FRENCH as possible during a stay in a French-speaking country.

Edited by issemiyaki on 09 January 2015 at 3:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 4
09 January 2015 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Here are a few ideas. I assume you'll be traveling alone. The book readings you mentioned is a good idea. Another idea is to sign up for "couchsurfing.org". You don't have to stay in someone's home. You can meet people "for a cup of cofeee" and, obviously, conversation. Another idea is to seek out volunteer opportunities in the local area to put yourself in a position where you can meet people. Searching around will turn up opportunities to go hiking/exploring in a group. Don't dismiss "hanging out" in a bar but choose the bar wisely. Avoid bars with loud music. Carry a local newspaper with you or a book with an interesting cover (in TL). You can always put it down beside you. It can be a great conversation starter when someone notices, and, if there is no conversation- you can always read.

Consider avoiding tourist hotspots like Montreal, Quebec City, Paris, etc. Think instead about small to medium size, less touristy cities like Chicoutimi, Trois Rivieres, Marseilles, Lyon, etc. Small, lesser known places can have quite a bit to offer if one will only look. People in these places are more likely to find you interesting there because you won't be the norm.

Last but not least, (I highly recommend doing this!) create conversation "islands" a la Boris Shekhtman's book- How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately. Concentrate on the basics- introducing yourself, talking about yourself- why you are learning French and how you are going about it. Learn how to ask questions that will draw out your conversation partner instead of eliciting yes or no answers. To be interesting, be interested.

Boris Shekhtman wrote:
] ... the acquisition of the language, the knowledge of the language – have nothing to do with communicative tools. Communicative tools are the combination of skills which allow a speaker to use most effectively the level of foreign language in his or her command. To make this definition more clear, let us imagine a group of students with the same level of knowledge of foreign language. Let us imagine also that these students have come to the host country, and are capable of observing the quality of their communication with native speakers. The result of our observation could be striking: Some students could communicate with the inhabitants of the host country with great difficulty; they cannot maintain a conversation, they answer questions very abruptly, they are afraid of making mistakes, they await the next question from their counterpart with fear, in the process of speaking they think extensively in their native language, and even worse, when they speak, they translate from their native language to the foreign language, they cannot find the necessary words quickly – in brief, they create an anti-communicative atmosphere with their counterpart and, as a result, conversation stops. Other students with the same level of knowledge conduct these conversations much better and more effectively. What is the reason for this difference? The latter group of students use intentionally or naturally some communicative tools.

Edited by iguanamon on 09 January 2015 at 1:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

issemiyaki
Diglot
United States
Joined 4818 days ago

38 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 4
09 January 2015 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Yes, I'll be traveling alone.

Volunteering is a wonderful idea. Thanks for that!

I also like his tips for preparing yourself for conversations.

Appreciate your help on this.

Edited by issemiyaki on 09 January 2015 at 3:54am

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
09 January 2015 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
If you haven't yet made any plans, and you're willing to work while traveling you can try this site.

WWOOF or the French site

You live with a host family on a farm and do a couple of hours of work. But you are immersed in the country with the family and speaking the language. Cuts down on the cost of your trip too. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version