United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3490 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 1 of 9
09 January 2015 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

So, I'm making my first overseas trip at the end of July to Iceland! Like all sane people, I've decided to study Icelandic intensively for the next seven months, and see where that gets me. I'm kind of hoping to get to a high B2.

My question is this-- I know Icelanders generally have a high level of English, so how well do you think I should be speaking so that people do not automatically switch? I'm aware this question has been asked for other Germanic languages, but I haven't seen it for Icelandic. In terms of language learning, speech is generally my least-practiced area, since I'm a book-loving introvert, but I'm willing to step up my game. I'm guessing that speech should be quite fluid, so that it doesn't sound uncomfortable to others.

Any input about Icelandic or other languages would be great!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4521 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 9
09 January 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Icelanders have the same switch-ratio as most Scandinavians or the Dutch. They'll
pretty much all be able to do fairly well in English (if you speak Danish or another
Scandi language that's a bonus when starting). In the end, my advice is, and that goes
for all of the Northern European cultures, because the approach is fairly similar (and
I've gotten replies in Icelandic even when I had about 10 words!), to not worry about
your actual level but to work on how your impression comes across. The Icelanders will
be curious about your forays into their language, and if you sound good, they'll love
it.

1) spend a lot of time on the pronunciation and intonation of the language. Icelandic
sounds very different, it's much more stiff in its sounds than English is and it's got
a completely different sentence rhythm. This does not mean you have to be able to copy
it perfectly, but you do have to be able to sound more "Icelandic". The biggest
problem is usually the accent. It doesn't have to be fluid, it just has to sound non-
obvious that you are an American. I think you need to set aside the first week of your
learning to just getting the pronunciation right! I tend to set aside only a day or
two, but I've got a pretty wide range of phonemes I can produce reliably, but
particularly work on the hl/hr/hn sounds, the r sound, and the g sound.

2) Most Scandinavians, Nordics and Dutch people don't find it very obvious you are
learning their language, so be prepared to answer those questions in Icelandic. In
fact if you are travelling structure your vocabulary around topics you're going to
encounter first, and then everything else. Quantum mechanics discussions can wait.

3) Icelandic doesn't have as many cognates with English as Dutch or French does, but
their vocabulary structure is more intuitive for English speakers because it's got the
same roots. Icelandic vocabulary for simple things will often be the same as the
English word, but pronounced differently (or they may use an old word that English has
forgotten). More advanced words tend to be Germanic only, and usually compound words.

4) Once you've got the basics down first, start learning the verb conjugations and
noun declensions - unfortunately you need them in Icelandic to make sense. Some dative
constructions, very common in Icelandic, don't exist in English anymore. Make sure to
note what case goes with what preposition because this will be a big source of
mistakes.

Edited by tarvos on 09 January 2015 at 4:39pm

15 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7035 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
12 January 2015 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
@ solocricket,

Which state are you in?
I have the North American Icelandic directory. There could be a cultural club near you. You
could contact them and see if there are any native speakers to help out.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6396 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 9
12 January 2015 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Ask someone to translate the following monologue into Icelandic and memorize it:

"I'm sorry if my Icelandic is bad, but this is the one time I have the opportunity to practice your wonderful language. I'd be very grateful if you would speak Icelandic to me, because I think it's a fantastic language and I really want to learn it."
2 persons have voted this message useful

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3490 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 5 of 9
12 January 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the helpful responses. I'll definitely be working on pronunciation and
intonation in the coming weeks.

@ alang, I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania-- thanks!

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7035 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 9
13 January 2015 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I am going to pm you the information I have, as it will be specified to Pennsylvania.
The big cities like New York has more, and the province of Manitoba in Canada has the
most Icelandic information.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3861 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 7 of 9
15 January 2015 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
what @Tarvos said.
Plus: would you be interested in Icelandic also after you will have gone there?
This is the main difference between learning how to say the most basic pleasantries and learning the language
(because a language is a marathon, not a sprint).

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3490 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 8 of 9
30 January 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I'm interested in Icelandic for the long haul-- I'll have a decent book supply after I
go there, I imagine.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version