Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 49 of 68
14 January 2015 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, I think the distinction between Central and Eastern Europe is extremely
important and ignoring centuries of different development just because of more or less
40 years of tragedy, that is very offensive. Central Europe has been under the same
evolution. From the Kingdom of Bohemia with close ties to Poland and to the Saint
Empire through the centuries to the Austria-Hungary and the WW2. The development has
been very different after the fall of the iron curtain as well. Sure, the Czech
Republic is far from perfect but there are usually immigrants coming here from the
Eastern countries, not vice versa.

Actually, this offensive prejudice I meet everywhere I go, that is one of the reasons
why one of my life plan versions is "finish medschool, get a job abroad, get
citizenship, never present myself as a czech again" :-( I am just tired of people
surprised we don't cook over open fire at home (really, czechs are sometimes being
explained the basic things like the cooker or the washing machine), of people calling
me Russian or those assuming I am a communist. Especially from people whose countries
have lower living standard for a large part of population, drown in debts and don't
stand by many of their civil rights anymore.

I find it quite hypocritical when such disdain comes from citizens of countries that
played a major part in the soviets gaining influence here by betraying us, some of
them repeatedly.

Yes, I know a usual American or similarily educated person cannot be bothered even
knowing the Czechoslovakia doesn't exist since 1993 and that Slovakia is a different
country than Slovenia, but still. I am not the one to just join the comfortable
majority that just nods and lets it be, no matter whether it is a good or a bad thing
to do.

Well, Czech might still be too close, Ari, there is a not negligeable genetic piece of
Swedish in the czech cells, due to the war of thirty years ;-) You might actually find
that genetical viking heritage in half Europe.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 50 of 68
15 January 2015 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
That's all very true, but the question is whether you can reliably expect everyone to
memorize all the history. One has to be pretty interested in the region to make that
kind of effort. And I always correct people when they talk about "Czechoslovakia",
because for my parents' generation that's still a country and it's what they learned
at school on maps, but to me they are obviously different countries. That generation
simply grew up with a different impression of the Eastern Bloc, and because these
countries weren't popular at schools even those who do realise they are separate
countries now they haven't a clue what went on there. For most people aged 45+
everything east of Germany was commie back in the day. That's simply their mental
association. My parents totally didn't understand what I was doing in Romania either,
and that country is worse off than the Czech Republic.

I mean people probably also have the idea we smoke weed a lot here, and that everyone
secretly has gay sex, because you know, that's how stereotypes work. I just go with
the flow and let them think that stuff and explain how it actually works. I can't
expect every American/Englishman/Frenchie/German to understand all of that because
it's not routinely taught. Anyone who's interested in the Czech Republic will see
through that barrier quickly enough.

Edited by tarvos on 15 January 2015 at 12:33am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 51 of 68
15 January 2015 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your kindness, Tarvos, coming in spite of the bitchiness that might be
perceived in my post. Thanks :-)

Well, I don't feel bad because of the old people, I know they just spent their
education times in a different world. Yet, it makes me angry when someone young from
Germany asks me where is the Czech Republic and it is not such a rarity. And there are
more such mistakes that persist through generations. However, it is getting slightly
better as at least the EU countries of the former area of doom are becoming popular
destinations not only for tourists but as well for exchange students. However, I don't
believe the prejudice will die out during my lifetime, that's why I often feel like
giving up on my country (especially when I see some of those who represent it).

Well, but the Netherlands usually come out of all this as a cool place, that is a bit
different. And your speedskaters and the royal family are doing some really cool PR to
the country :-)

You know, I just find it really stupid to commonly hear Americans say things like "why
should we know the individual tiny states of Europe, they don't know where Kentucky is
either". Or being part of those funny dialogues like "And what is it like in Hungary?"
"I am not from Hungary" "It is the same thing, what is it like in Hungary?". I've
never been to Hungary but it is really high on my list of places to visit by the way.
But it is still not the same.

Ari, have you considered Hungarian? It is less close than Finnish but probably equally
difficult. And Budapest is said to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Or perhaps Korean? It is surely a difficult, Asian language, with fascinating script
and it isn't as mainstream as Japanese by far :-)

If you choose Czech in the end, I'll be excited to put together some list of resources
for you :-) . I already did part of it for Rem in his log.

What kinds of music did you like?
I recommend you to add these samples:
Marta Kubišová (I love the song Depeše)
Karel Kryl (for exemple Král a Klaun)
Znouzecnost (Anděl)
Kabát
Jaromír Nohavica (he sings in Polish as well at times)
Karel Gott (he is loved in Germany, at least by some generations)
or if you like classical music, our greatest composer is Antonín Dvořák. As to
something more modern: Bohuslav Martinů. And operas by Bedřich Smetana are well known
as well.

Edited by Cavesa on 15 January 2015 at 1:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5157 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 52 of 68
15 January 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
One does observe distinctive features in the development of what are often denominated Eastern and Western Europe: the growth of towns throughout the later middle ages, the ratio between labor and land, the institution of serfdom, agrarian productivity, the expansion of commerce and eventually manufacturing, and decisively, the state-making process.

That there are differences between the historical Bohemian and Moravian territories and Serbia or the Ukraine - so there are between northern and southern France or Italy, Castille and Aragón, Brandenburg and Bavaria, none of which prevent us from grouping them when relevant. I believe all in all it makes sense to talk of an Eastern an a Western Europe, which doesn't imply a disadvantage to the former. George W. Bush was right after all when he spoke of a new and an old Europe.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 53 of 68
15 January 2015 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Well, for just the same reasons, I believe it makes only sense to speak about western,
northern, central, eastern, southern and southeastern Europe. The cultural and
historical differences are just too large. In need to make it a shorter list, than
still the eastern, central and western remain.

Sorting us, who have had much more in common with the western than eastern part of
Europe amont the eastern, that is a huge disadvantage that reflects upon our daily
lives. It begins with the stupid individuals considering us to be behind the borders
of civilisation and continues up to the international enterprizes bringing worse
quality goods here for the same price you buy the better alternatives in Spain,
Germany or France and to many things being available here much later without any good
reason. It is a huge disadvantage, at times it feels like having a disease.

To avoid misunderstanding: no, I do not consider the true eastern europe to be behind
civilisation or anything like that. It is just a much less safe area in many ways and
a much poorer one in general. And truth be told a source of troubles for my country
during history. And culturally, it is a very different tradition that deserves to be
taken on its own, not melted together with the central european one.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 54 of 68
15 January 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
I can totally see where you're coming from, Cavesa. Here, too, there's a general tendency to group the Czech Republic with Belarus and Ukraine. I think the language has something to do with it, too. Most non-speakers of slavic languages have trouble hearing the difference between them, and so they think it all sounds like Russian. This makes the mental grouping even easier. And the rest is PR, of course. In some ways it's a shame the country didn't decide to name itself "Bohemia". I can see why you wouldn't want to (for one thing, the Moravians and Silesians wouldn't be too happy), but "Bohemia" has a lot of positive associations and it's more closely linked to the West in the minds of many. Today a lot of people think Bohemia is in Germany.

At any rate, I'll do my best to spread the love of the Czech lands when I get the inevitable question "Why on earth are you studying Czech?". First I'll look them in the eyes and say "Strč prst skrz krk". And then I'll tell them what a great country it is. :)

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5772 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 55 of 68
16 January 2015 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Lichtraush: Czech tv series are better than the German ones ;-) Yes, there are
probably more books in German and movies, but German tv series suck. I am not usually
a patriot but it offends me that you automatically assume everything coming from a
smaller country must be worse than things from Germany. In this case, the bar is set
really low.

If it's true that Czech TV series are better than German ones, that would really be
incredible considering that the German and Czech speaking worlds are quite similar except
that German has about 10x as many speakers. Alright, the best German TV series I can
think of is Stromberg. What Czech series beats that? (not for the sake of having a
pissing contest; I am genuinely interested)

Quote:

Really, it is just one state but with the same or large amount of people than Sweden.
Does Sweden suffer from lack of native media?

I would assume yes. How many awesome Swedish science fiction movies and books are there?

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4871 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 56 of 68
16 January 2015 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:

Quote:
Really, it is just one state but with the same or large amount of people than Sweden.
Does Sweden suffer from lack of native media?

I would assume yes. How many awesome Swedish science fiction movies and books are there?

Arguably, no. Swedish public radio is top-notch. Swedish literature includes classics such as Strindberg,
children's favorites such as Lindgren, and international thriller sensation Stieg Larsson. Seven Swedish writers
have won the Nobel Prize in literature (OK, maybe that is a little biased). Danish and Norwegian literature is
mostly comprehensible to readers of Swedish, or at least can be translated without much loss. Swedish television
is not the best in the world, but there are several quality shows and it's available to watch free online anywhere.
Swedish films and Swedish-language music are also produced in a respectable quantity. You can read articles on
the Internet in Swedish to your heart's content.

Of course it's all relative, and if you want to claim it isn't enough, you have the right to do so. Certainly it's
nowhere near what you have for French or English. But as a learner of Swedish I can attest that tons of native
materials exist. If I were a Swede I'd be proud of my country's media presence!

But no, as for science fiction I cannot think of single one. ;)

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version