68 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 25 of 68
11 January 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
And Czech, for example, the national language of an entire country, is short on those? I
wasn't aiming that at you, Ari, but more at everybody else in this thread.

Edited by tarvos on 11 January 2015 at 12:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 26 of 68
11 January 2015 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Ari- Russian!

Reasons: Besides being a challenging language, the language is widespread in Eurasia from Kaliningrad in the West to Vladivostok in the East. Russia is a bordering country of Scandinavia. It's a quick jaunt for you to visit from your home. Right now the exchange rate is highly advantageous. There's enough Russian language media to last you a lifetime. Last but not least, there is a supportive community on HTLAL. Some of our most knowledgeable members are Russian. I think with your current situation of where you live, your language-learning experience and the HTLAL support you would have available, that you are in an optimum position to learn Russian. Learning Russian would give you something to do for the next few years.

Edited by iguanamon on 11 January 2015 at 12:54pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 27 of 68
11 January 2015 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
And Czech, for example, the national language of an entire country, is short on those?

Well, like I said in the OP, I'm unsure about the amount of Czech media availible. For all I know, they might be watching mostly undubbed American movies and TV series.

@Iguanamon: I do kinda want to know Russian, if nothing else then because of its sheer geographic spread. With Russian and Arabic, I'd know the official languages of 75% of the world's land mass. But my plan for Russian is to do Czech first, because it attracts me more and seems more fun to study.

Then again, thinking about it, my sister-in-law speaks Russian and so does my Sifu in China, and they'd be thrilled. And Russian does have the advantage of a cooler alphabet than Czech … Damn you, Iguanamon!
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3836 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 28 of 68
11 January 2015 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
You're plenty of good challenges in terms of languages
- Icelandic: the language of the best country in the world, being very archaic it allows you to read the Old Norse
literature
- Georgian
- Mongolian
- Tibetan
- Lithuanian
- Latvian
- Urdu
- Xhosa
- Vietnamese
etc

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 29 of 68
11 January 2015 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
And Czech, for example, the national language of an entire country, is
short on those? I
wasn't aiming that at you, Ari, but more at everybody else in this thread.

I'm sure Ari has his own perspective on it, but allow me to respond to why Czech (and
other minor languages) aren't very attractive to me. I have specific tastes in books,
movies, music, and television. Seeing as how I struggle to find even a German TV show
that I like, am I realistically going to find much worth watching in Czech? Much worth
listening to or reading? Unlikely, and it would take a lot of time and failed attempts
to find the few things I would end up liking. And I sure as hell am not going to put
hundreds of hours into learning Czech just so I can read Harry Potter translations and
watch dubbed American shows.

I like to learn languages that I will run into often without having to hunt them down
like a scavenger. How often am I likely to run into Czech, even in a large city like
Boston? Maybe once a year. I hear languages like Japanese and German every week in
Boston by just walking around the city.

Now, I know the common response to this is that when you finally do end up visiting
Czechia, the people will be overjoyed that you learned their small language and will
shower you with good feelings. But for me this doesn't come close to making up for the
cons I mentioned above. I satisfy my curiosity for Czech and its kin through dabbling
and reading about them, and then I move on to the main course.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 30 of 68
11 January 2015 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
There are tons of Czech media. Tons. Of various quality, just as for other languages.

Yes, there are many dubbed things you can use as an intermediate, as I do it for my
TLs.
Then there are many movies and tv series originally in the language. Some are dumb
soap operas but we've got quite a lot of really good comedies, fairy tales, recently a
few good crime series, there are a few movies that got well known prizes, including
Oscar. When it comes to books, we've got some of every genre, except for the long
classical novels. There is a lot to read even when you restrict yourself to original
Czech literature only.

Lichtraush: Czech tv series are better than the German ones ;-) Yes, there are
probably more books in German and movies, but German tv series suck. I am not usually
a patriot but it offends me that you automatically assume everything coming from a
smaller country must be worse than things from Germany. In this case, the bar is set
really low.

Really, it is just one state but with the same or large amount of people than Sweden.
Does Sweden suffer from lack of native media?

The only trouble though might be getting the material in your hands as it certainly is
a trouble for me to get the things in Swedish here. Fortunately, czechs are basically
forced by circumstances to be pirates.

There is no Czechia by the way. The word doesn't exist. It is the Czech Republic.
There is no official shorter version and there is unlikely to be one soon. The only
czech using the word is the alcoholic president who is a living proof that 51% of
voters are irresponsible and/or dumb.

Czech can give you a huge headstart for Slovak (well, you will basically learn two
languages in one), for Polish, for other Slavic languages including Russian or
Croatian.

Yes, if you go for usefulness, it is not a priority language for anyone except most
immigrants, but Ari is obviously going for other things.

As for Japanese. Ari, wouldn't you feel a little bit too mainstream? :-D

Dead languages:
no movies, just books. But the books are usually free! Latin is great, the grammar is
like romance grammar + German grammar, in my opinion.
And there is no language with more beautiful script than Ancient Egyptian.

German is an economically reasonable choice. However, it is as well a language giving
access to some good quality material for others, as I've seen a few weeks ago in
Dresden. The only problem is if it bores you.

I would recommend a dead language personally, it is a real challenge. Latin has really
enriched my life, even though I didn't get as far as I had hoped and that I gave up.
Books in Latin and Ancient Greek are still pillars of our culture nd the people
writing them were obviously intelligent and the works still apply even to us. Ancient
Egyptian is probably the coolest language one can ever learn! Hey, it's got
hyeroglyphs, no other reason needed :-D

Edited by Cavesa on 11 January 2015 at 7:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 31 of 68
11 January 2015 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Really, it is just one state but with the same or large amount of people than Sweden.
Does Sweden suffer from lack of native media?

A bit, yeah. For me, Swedish would be a borderline language. There's probably enough for me to work with, but not by a large margin. Of all the languages I've studied, only Cantonese has less media than Swedish, and then only if we're talking about books. In movies, Cantonese beats Swedish by a long shot. But your post makes me feel better about the Czech media situation. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't seem to carry any Czech ebooks (at least none that I'm allowed to purchase), which is a big bummer for me. Reading on the Kindle with a popup dictionary is incredibly practical and I wouldn't like to rely on paper books or hunting down individual ebooks and importing them into the Kindle.

Quote:
There is no Czechia by the way. The word doesn't exist. It is the Czech Republic.
There is no official shorter version and there is unlikely to be one soon. The only
czech using the word is the alcoholic president who is a living proof that 51% of
voters are irresponsible and/or dumb.

According to Wikipedia, the term "Czechia" was launched already in 1993 by Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs Jozef Zieleniec, but it seems to never have caught on. And, as you probably know, the country is called "Tjeckien" in Swedish. Which doesn't invalidate what you said, I just wanted to elucidate a bit.

Quote:
Yes, if you go for usefulness, it is not a priority language for anyone except most immigrants, but Ari is obviously going for other things.

Consonant clusers! Also I'm impressed by the country's low religiosity and high income equality. Both of those things are indicators that I'm going to like the country and culture.

Quote:
As for Japanese. Ari, wouldn't you feel a little bit too mainstream? :-D

Yes. Yes I would.

Quote:
Latin has really enriched my life, even though I didn't get as far as I had hoped and that I gave up.

Latin is a language I'm probably going to study, but not right now. My two latest languages were Spanish and Portuguese; I'm fed up with Romance for the moment.

Gaah, so hard to choose. I've still got a bit of time to think, though. I won't pick up a new language before February at the earliest. But this thread has really helped me get some more structure to my thinking. I think I've ruled out Thai and Arabic for the moment. I want to learn a South-East Asian language at some point, but it's not the priority now. The Slavic route sounds more interesting to me right now.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4919 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 32 of 68
11 January 2015 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Yes, there are many dubbed things you can use as an intermediate, as I do it for my
TLs.

How is the quality of the dubbed material? I have no problem watching dubbed material, if it's decent dubbing. One major complaint I've always had of Polish-dubbed series, though, is that they don't lower the volume nearly enough of the original English, resulting in basically two languages being broadcast at the same volume.

R.
==

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version