Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4839 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 11
12 January 2015 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes stilted language feels more appropriate when the characters aren't supposed to be speakers of the
language the book's written in. Like in Dune, the characters (who live in outer space in the future) say things
like "Let us..." and "May we not..." and "Whence," and it has the desired effect of making them not sound like 20th-
century Americans.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 11
13 January 2015 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
chiara-sai wrote:
But ‘ahimè’ is also quite outdated in Italian. Also if I’m not
mistaken the book is about a rich family living in the first half of the 20th century,
so I would expect the posh and archaic language to be appropriate.

True, my Italian isn't anywhere near good enough to pick up register, or details like
this. Though the novel is pretty good about indicating when the Finzi-Contini are using
posh words ... Micòl, the daughter, likes to drop in Venetian phrases, or Austrian words
she picked up on ski trips to the Alps (she refers to the cottage in the garden as the
Hütte, and likes to have a drink of Skiwasser before going to bed).

Though in this case the speaker is a middle class student in the Jewish ghetto, not one
of the elite!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5100 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 11 of 11
13 January 2015 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
Sometimes stilted language feels more appropriate when the characters aren't supposed to be speakers of the
language the book's written in. Like in Dune, the characters (who live in outer space in the future) say things
like "Let us..." and "May we not..." and "Whence," and it has the desired effect of making them not sound like 20th-
century Americans.

However, sometimes English translators overdo this. A good example is Richard Burton's translation of the Arabian Nights; Burton unnecessarily used archaic English even though the book is a collection of folk tales written in plain Arabic. Here's an excerpt from the well-known story of the fisherman and the genie in the bottle:

Original wrote:
اعف عن قتلي يعف الله عنك، ولا تهلكني، يسلط الله عليك، من يهلكك. فقال لا بد من قتلك، فتمن علي أي موتة تموتها فلما تحقق ذلك منه الصياد راجع العفريت وقال اعف عني إكرامًا لما أعتقتك، فقال العفريت: وأنا ما أقتلك إلا لأجل ما خلصتني، فقال الصياد: يا شيخ العفاريت هل أصنع معك مليح، فتقابلني بالقبيح

Richard Burton wrote:
"Spare my life, so Allah spare shine; and slay me not, lest Allah set one to slay thee." Replied the Contumacious One, "There is no help for it; die thou must; so ask me by way of boon what manner of death thou wilt die." Albeit thus certified the Fisherman again addressed the Ifrit saying, "Forgive me this my death as a generous reward for having freed thee;" and the Ifrit, "Surely I would not slay thee save on account of that same release." "O Chief of the Ifrits," said the Fisherman, "I do thee good and thou requitest me with evil!

Here's a Google Books link to a modern translation of the same passage by Malcolm C. Lyons. (Click the Page link to see the full passage.)

Edited by Doitsujin on 13 January 2015 at 12:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version