217 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 27 28 Next >>
fortheo
United States
Joined 4822 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 73 of 217
19 April 2015 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Wow, i'm in a similar situation right now. It is very hard to have energy for languages when you have three
15 page research essays do within a few weeks. Ughhh. Good luck with your diet too! I managed to cut out
sugar for two weeks, but then I binged out over this weekend-_- . Less stressful times are coming though!
Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 74 of 217
20 April 2015 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I understand what you're going through with sugar, most definitely. Its not easy when such a substance is
addictive as many illicit drugs and much more readily available, omnipresent in fact, and even encouraged.
You're not alone.

I quit sugar

Sugar addiction and dangers

4 étapes pour réduire le
sucre

If above link doesn't work search "4 étapes pour réduire sa consommation de sucre, www.dur-a-avaler.com"

As for medicine. Well I have often contemplated moving from nursing to medicine but I can never seem to
come up with enough 'pros' against the 'cons'. You guys work HARD. It is NOT easy doing medicine. Throw
in dietary changes, learning multiple languages and burn-out... it's any wonder you have moments in which
you tell others to stay away from medicine. I agree it's not an easy choice. For me its also the corruption and
control by pharmaceutical companies and their deliberate repression of anything natural, justified by any
means, and saturated through heavily pharma funded media avenues. Of course this doesnt mean you are
bad, nor am I suggesting that. Many of us work in the medical system because we want to make a difference.
So know that I'm not providing the links below to talk you out of medicine but to throw in some interesting
French reading that may at least allow for sime demonstration of corruption in order that you remain aware
when helping others that drugs are not the inly answer. The bottom link written by a Dr shows there are some
excellent doctors out there making a difference

Codex Alimentarius

L'industrie pharmaceutique

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 20 April 2015 at 1:00am

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3308 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 75 of 217
20 April 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Hi Cavesa! Thanks for the great tips on Spanish resources. I remember Isabel having Spanish subtitles. Does Angel o Demonio have subtitles too?

Sorry to hear about school and its demands. I remember those sleep deprived weeks in grad school when I physically did not think I would be able to handle my final exams. I looked like this with fangs.

So here's a big cyber hug for you. I hope your exams go as smoothly as possible. I am amazed that you're accomplishing as much as you are in your language studies.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 76 of 217
20 April 2015 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Sending you lots of good thoughts! Be gentle with yourself...it's ok to take a step back from some things if you need
to.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3793 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 77 of 217
22 April 2015 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Stelle's sentiments above. Remember to take time for you! I'd be exhausted if I was doing all
that you are doing.   Maybe select a few things to put on hold for a short period of time? For me, sometimes
just setting everything else aside for an hour, taking a long, hot bath/shower, and having a glass of wine can
help.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 78 of 217
24 April 2015 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot, friends! Your support helps.

You know, the problem with medicine is not that it is hard, that is a correct thing in
principle. One of the problems is that it is badly organized, so it is often hard just
to be hard, not for a purpose. And another problem is that the university expects to
be the center and only problem of your life. As soon as you get more ill, your family
has troubles (such as serious illness in the family or such things), you need to work
because you just don't have the money yet you are still not poor enough for support (I
wholeheartedly admire my working classmates) and so on, it is a problem. I'd say most
people who extend their studies or fall out, they are not just lazy morons. I got two
more years of studies do to health and regret it deeply. I want to break free! (one of
my favourite songs by Queen. Another favourite song is "f**k it all", a remake of that
Frozen song)

My experience with medicine, hospitals and such things is very different from that of
my classmates (actually the amount of my experience could unfortunately compare to
that of a few hundred other studetents summed), I can tell lots of the lies that are
said by the teachers and written in the books, hearing unethical monsters among our
teachers, that is exhausting. It all demotivates me far too often. Just as the ways we
just waste time at school, it should be organized very differently.

I found that some of my childhood's thoughts were unfortunately very precise and
correct. Most teachers are useless or even harmful for learning (thanks god for the
exceptions), the classes are waste of time and getting up early is a nightmare :-D

Thanks a lot for the support, I am drawing from wherever source I can these days to
get through. I wish I would get a Bc (like BA) after this year, just like people from
easier fields, but I won't. Most medschools in Europe, from what I've noticed, are an
exception to the system. You start right after highschool and get out after 25 or even
nearing 30. If we had the opportunity to escape, very few would stay, at least until
the university would get reformed.

I am going to Hungary tommorrow and I hope to have a great weekend. After that, I
should have more energy to study. In the meantime, I am mostly continuing with my SCs.
Reading a bit in French, finished another Pratchett in Spanish (Brujas de viaje),
watching Angel o demonio (which turns out to be a really good show, even though the
pacing might at times be different for my taste).

So, hopefully the posts to come will be far more cheerful, I don't want to depress my
readers :-) (sorry)

Edited by Cavesa on 24 April 2015 at 3:02pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4076 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 79 of 217
24 April 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I agree that classes are horseshit. To be honest, I always wondered what the point of
waking up at 06.30 was, to shower, breakfast, get ready, catch bus, arrive at 08.30 at
university i time for 09.00 lectures, when at the end of the day, I would not be able
to tell anyone what my phone number was, nor how old I was because my brain just
cannot function with waking up early. Maybe you are like me...

It seems more fruitful to just stay home and study the lecture notes, which is why I
am very sceptical of any form of classes and tutoring since, I just feel like I have
more problems learning when someone physically teaches it to me rather than myself.

About your finance, at least you do not about to be foreclosed, or are 40000€ in debt
with all family members not only in debt but unemployed, and whose governments have an
addiction to corporations, budget cuts and austerity. And one very important point,
you live in one of the most beautiful cities (and countries) in the world surrounded
by languages, i.e. you live in a landlocked country surrounded by opportunities to
practise at least 4 or 5 languages by a short trip.

I either live on an island surrounded by nothing but Anglophones, whose inhabitants
fail to believe that they live within the confines of Europe (if not Europe, where
else unless the North Sea is considered a continent), or a state that is bigger than
all countries in Europe surrounded by even more ignorant Anglophones, and whose
education system already approve of allowing graduation from secondary school
without having to learn foreign language (entering university with 0 foreign
language!). Can you believe that bullshit? Can the Anglophones get any more
monolingual than they already are (it should be noted that I never ask rhetorical
questions)? It seems so to me. It would be a dream for me to
take a short train ride to Hungary for a weekend :D

Edited by 1e4e6 on 24 April 2015 at 11:55pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5262 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 80 of 217
25 April 2015 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Hi Cavesa,

Well I don't know if it helps coming from myself, but in my opinion it appears like you're very much aware and
at least have control over your own mind (ie you don't blindly accept everything you're taught). Perhaps it
makes life harder for you but knowing that what's written in texts or taught in university in many cases has
vested interests behind it, means you have much more control over your mind than many.

This may come off as haughty or pompous- I assure you that I'm not entertaining some kind of notion that I,
or you, or we are part of some elite club of 'better free thinking people', as I don't believe humanity is entirely
ignorant- most people are aware to some degree of the wool being pulled over their eyes- how thick that wool
is is a matter of perception. Nor am I necessarily attempting to group you with me as two people who hold the
same beliefs, values etc- as I'm sure we probably don't for the most part. Nevertheless I wanted to reinforce a
positive here in an enduring tough journey- that despite all the BS at least you can see through it.

And if it helps, what you're enduring is tough and to come this far (you may not work like some fellow
students, but you study many languages), even if you were to quit today you should not be down on yourself
as you have come a long way. No person is any less valuable than any other no matter what their position or
career (or lack of) despite what society attempts to instill in us.

Le premier ministre hautain et prétentieux... mais non ! C'est pas moi du tout !

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version