patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 89 of 217
29 April 2015 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to hear about the break-up. That sucks.

I guess you won't be in Berlin either next week for the polyglot meeting. You were one of the people on HTLAL that I was hoping to finally met.

I don't know about renting laptops, that sounds v. expensive, but couldn't you perhaps just get a cheap gamebox of some kind and go from there?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 90 of 217
29 April 2015 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I'll just try what my computer can do. Brokensword up to 3 should be ok, hopefully the
witcher 1 without problems. But witcher 2 and the later adventures, i am not sure. What
would be the best if I could just borrow the computer would be one thing. Giving it back
so that there would be no temptation.

Not in Berlin next week, studying here and who knows in what state of mind.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 91 of 217
30 April 2015 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Oh, sorry to hear about your breakup :(
My friend recently recommended Galavant, a short series in English (22-min episodes x 8). I don't normally watch stuff in English but this seems like quick fun :D

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 92 of 217
30 April 2015 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Serpent.

I heard about Galavant and now I'll check it out, it looks good.

I have a longer weekend before me. Perhaps some larger dose of German (including the
Witcher in German, should it not prove too difficult) will soothe my nerves a bit.

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3303 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 93 of 217
30 April 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa, I am so sorry to hear about the break up. When I'm going through one, surrounding myself with friends and work helps me too. I wish I knew more about gaming and rentals to give you some good advice, but it sounds like the HTLAL crew have got you covered. Take good care of yourself!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 94 of 217
01 May 2015 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Good luck dealing with the breakup, I am in sort of same situation as well. Well, I suggest you get some dose of German, maybe not large, but regular (see the team thread) ;) Not an expert on a matter of dealing with such situations, but being busy is always
helpful.

Edited by Via Diva on 01 May 2015 at 11:52am

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3840 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 95 of 217
03 May 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Hello Cavesa,
I haven't really read through your log at this very moment, but I wanted to answer your question about science websites or so in
German on your log instead of on mine. I think here it's of use to more people as they might follow your log for German and not mine
:D

What I sometimes like to read is 'Spektrum der Wissenschaft' or rather "Gehirn und Geist" (from the same publisher dealing with brain
stuff which I'm quite interested in apart from Chemistry..). It's actually a magazine but they have a website, too
(http://www.spektrum.de/).
It may be popular science but I think it is quite good and not like those magazines "the biggest mistake of mankind!" "5 ways to live a
better life" sort of popular science stuff.

As for documentaries I recommend the "mediathek" (media center) of German tv channels. I'm not sure the content is available in
other countries though. Some of them are on youtube (still not sure whether it's available everywhere).
There are channels like 3sat, arte, zdfinfo which sometimes have good documentaries on science and of course other stuff (history...)
3Sat wissenschaftsdoku
Arte
I also found the site dokumonster which seems to be a site where documentaries are brought together which are presented on
youtube. I haven't used it though.

I must say that after university I don't really read much science related stuff :D For news (and they also have some science news) I read
the Spiegel. It depends on what science you want to read about. Of course I know a lot for
advanced chemistry, but that is mostly in English.

I hope that helped :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 96 of 217
06 May 2015 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Komma. These tips look great, I hope to be finally ready for them by the end
of this 6WC.

Thanks to everyone for your support. It is hard to focus on anything these days. I
still keep some hope but I am unsure how realistic it is. Well, if it is false, I'll
be free to find a foreigner guy and practice my languages, that's a silver lining (but
I'd rather have the former bf back).

But the 6wc started still quite well.

My Spanish SC is still going on as a side language for May. It is an easy way to get
some more minutes of overall languages studies. English doesn't count for the 6wc. Not
sure whether French (some reading and movie watching planned) is going to count or
not.

But the main focus is on German.

Plan for 6WC German: as many hours as possible. Every minute counts. What am I doing
and going to do:

1.grammar-Klipp und Klar. Curently revising a bit but I should be continuing with new
lessons soon

2.vocab-Sage und Schreibe. it is a good book, I am slowly going through, some of the
lessons are already easy for me but I keep learning new things even in them.

3.Broken Sword 2. Awesome first piece of immersion. I understand much better than I'd
have thought, even though I still miss quite a lot. I fortunately know the game and
remember the story, that helps. But I am getting better. It is great to have nice
audio with precise subtitles for once. ;-) Unfortunately, my computer is too bad for
the Witcher :-( But I've got some more adventures on my gog account and those should
be mostly fine.

4.more things to be used: Assimil, Themen Aktuell. Hopefully, I'll get to reading
Eragon already by the end of the challenge.

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version