Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 97 of 217
09 May 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
The 6wc is going quite fine, my chosen resources are awesome and I use an online
dictionary and forvo a lot.

I keep watching the Spanish tv series angel o demonio. I really like it even though I
am looking forward to trying something new again. I've been planning to start the HP7
for some time but the 6wc-German has got priority.

I need to keep working on my French in order not to lose it. I will. In a few days.

I should be studying more or university. And I gave up my false hopes towards my exbf
which is a good thing and a bad thing. More German Grammar and Broken Sword in German
should cure the pain a bit. That and my awesome friends!

Btw, I always find it interesting how many people sign up for each language at 6wc and
there tend to be quite noticeable changes.
We've got 37 participants this round. That is fewer than before, if I remember
correctly, but we've as well got far fewer of those who sign up and don't enter a
single minute.
There are no huge crowds at the most popular languages, even though Spanish is the
closest to being considered such a crowd.

languages with 1 participant: Arabic, Danish, Hawaiian, Hindi, Indonesian, Irish,
Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Slovak, Swedish
2:Croatian, Japanese
3:Italian
4:Chinese, German
more: French (5), Spanish (6)

We are quite a heterogenous group this time. I am surprised to see no Russian learner
on the list. Where is Cristina hiding?

Just to clear up a situation on Expug's log: No, I am not learning Turkmen. And not
planning to. At least for now ;-)

Now back to German. I believe I can get at least one more hour today. I got behind my
plan yesterday as I wasn't feeling well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4694 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 98 of 217
09 May 2015 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
It was being dropped by a gf that made me throw myself into the study of Ancient Greek, the first language I studied with any kind of intensity, so I suppose that started me on the language path. What was awkward was that she was also in the Ancient Greek class, LOL.

I agree this is a strange looking 6wc, but it's nice to see that there are relatively few who signed up but are doing nothing. I don't get why so many people sign up who don't participate.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 99 of 217
10 May 2015 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
There are many paths to the dark side :-D

Well, I get it why. It is the same like buying a gym membership at the beginning of
the year. And it is quite obvious from the 6wc lists that most people who just think
it would be nice to learn a language and participate in the 6wc tend to sign for the
most popular languages, which is something we already know. Very few dreamers without
dedication are gonna sign up for Polish, Catalan or Hebrew.

I've been working on the vocabulary workbook today and got to some crazy words
already,like Aufenthaltsgenehmigung. :-D Sure, you can dissect the word into its
components but you need to know them first. Fortunately, forvo can help with this as
well. Believe it or not, even native German speakers don't have unlimited lung
capacity, so you can hear tiny "pauses" in the middle of the word, between the
components. Forvo creators and all those awesome speakers-word donors should get a
nobel prize! Repeating after audio-natives is a great learning tool.

Edited by Cavesa on 10 May 2015 at 4:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 100 of 217
11 May 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
First of all, a small rant.
I was looking forward to getting the damn DALF C2 certificate finally. I called the
testing centre and later found the real official info on the central AF website. WHy
the hell don't they put the same info on the websites of each individual testing
centre? And why the hell do only some employees give you the correct info while others
have obviously no clue as well? Today I learnt they don't have three months to deliver
the certificate, they have four. Yeah, they get lots of money from the candidates but
they just cannot get more than one printer to make all the certificates for the whole
world. And I could have asked even two months ago (4-5 weeks after the exam) for an
official (but less fancy) paper with results. That is something new to me as well. I
suppose I'll ask for it. Firstly, I need it as I am looking for some summer jobs
already. Secondly, I am damn curious about my results and still slightly hesitant to
believe I have passed without holding the paper in my hand.

So, in such situations, be more clever than I was, always check several sources.
Always look for a more official than the officially official information source.
At least when dealing with the French.

Other than that, my learning activities:

French- some self talk, read a few "psychology" articles online. Still haven't
forgotten everything, thanks God ;-)

Spanish- still watching Angel o Demonio. Reading one Pratchett (el Papa Puerco) and
one HP (the last book). Some self talk.

German:

1.Vocabulary-Sage und Schreibe book
completed 11 units out of 99. Learnt some new words, got some practice.

2.Grammar- Klipp und Klar
revised most lessons I had previously completed, completed a few more. I am
approximately in one third of the book.

3.Broken Sword 2, still playing, understanding quite fine even though I miss details.
And I get lost in the cut scenes as there is only audio without the text in those.

Btw, as I mentioned in another thread, I am going to pay a library fee to the Goethe
Institut soon as I found out they give you access to their e-library as well, which
got me pretty excited.

Btw2: wanderlust attacks! Save me! Hide the temptations! :-D
(but the hitlist order is clear: After moving Spanish and German much higher, there is
Swedish, Italian, Russian, Polish and only then, if I ever get that far, shall I
consider a folly like Mandarin or Arabic!)

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3307 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 101 of 217
12 May 2015 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Sorry to hear about the long delay for your certificate - especially after you worked so hard for it. I hope it shows up in your mailbox very soon. You polyglots never cease to amaze me! I daydream about learning another language after Spanish, but you guys actually succeed and do it so well!

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3641 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 102 of 217
12 May 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I feel that way about exams I passed more than five years ago, paper or no. I still
expect someone to call me up and demand my certificates back!

El papa puerco - Hogfather? I haven't tried him in languages other than German and
French, but I am perpetually amazed at how well Pratchett translates. You also have me
wanting to try out some gameplay, although it is more than certain I won't be able to
manage it.

Good luck resisting the wanderlust! (Of course, what I mean to say here is 'give in, give
in!')

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 103 of 217
12 May 2015 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, what I dislike the most is not the long waiting. It is the lack of proper
information.

You know, I think such an official exam (with not a negligeable fee) should be better
organized. The official information resource you are pointed to should inlclude all
the needed information and be up to date. All the employees on the phone should know
the stuff they are very likely to be asked by numerous candidates. I don't think that
is so much to ask. I somehow doubt people doing their A1 or A2 (or even B1) exams
could find the info on their own at all.

I have an extremely lazy day. I am gonna do some German grammar and dive back into the
Spanish Harry Potter.

The wanderlust is horrible and it is clearly just an escape strategy. Every semester,
I get a sudden urge to start learning Mandarin (or Arabic or Japanese but mostly
Mandarin) a few weeks before the exams. Another such strategy is to look online for
jobs I could do should I get kicked out of the faculty. And these days, I try to
escape from my broken heart as well. Right now, it is nothing more than a stupid dream
as I am very far from becoming a polyglot (but thanks for the compliment, Clarity ;-)
).

Elenia, every exam I happen to pass is a huge surprise for me. Last year, I even got a
nightmare after a passed exam in which I had failed and was studying for another
attempt). It's good to see I am not entirely alone in this fear of success being a
misunderstanding :-D

Yes, it is Hogfather. Pratchett, in my opinion, gets great translators because the
publishers don't underestimate the books and the difficulty and importance of the
translation. I believe that most books are being treated differently these days, the
publisher wants a fast translation, the translator wants fast money, and lots of
sloppiness gets through. Pratchett is, however, a matter of prestige, I guess.

Hmm, I'm leaving German to rot today, I am really tired, I slept just three hours and
had a long day. I'll read HP to have a good night and return to German in the morning.

I am as well getting fed up with watching tv series for the time being. Two of my
favourites (in English) are ending now, the stories are great, but I still don't feel
like watching. The Spanish ones just have really long episodes, that is lots of time
put in and I get easily tired. Well, at least the Big Bang Theory is short and makes
me laugh all the time, and even more comforting is the huge pile of books waiting for
my attention. And I should study pathology, of course.

Good night.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 104 of 217
14 May 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
The 6WC!

Still continuing, over 11 hours in. It could be much more, had I not been lazy.
-Klipp und Klar and Sage und Schreibe workbooks are my main companions. I am trying
not to spread myself too thin right now and to get more ground for the other
activites.

I admire lots of people in the 6wc, thanks to everyone for the inspiration. But I just
cannot understand how can PeterMolenburg put in five more time than I! It is not
jealousy, it is admiration and lack of comprehension. Perhaps he doesn't need to sleep
anymore, he takes nutrition in an infusion instead of cooking and eating, he may have
taken 6 weeks of holiday at work. Well, he's been probably doing nothing from my crazy
list of ideas, the more admirable is his progress.

Super Challenges:
I've just recounted my goals. Even if I keep to the small ones, which means sticking
to the oficial rules 1 SC-book-unit = 50 pages, I have still 17085 pages left, with
the leftovers from the last huuuuge ASC. Had I counted websites and such things, my
English ASCR would have been completed ages ago. But I do not count websites and such
things, I want to stretch my abilities a bit, so here is my punishment.
over 9000 pages left to read in English, 6300 and something in French, just 1655 in
Spanish and 5000 in German.
In order to finish and not take anything into 2016 (as I have huge plans for that year
as well), I need to read 552 pages per week. Well, let's dive into it, especially once
the horrible exams at university are over.

The movie part:
I still 32 movies in French for the ASCR (advanced super challenge residuals).
I still need 34,9 movies for the Spanish SC, which is not bad, considering the fact
I've been an active participant mostly during the last three months.
and 99,4 movies in German. That should not be such a trouble, if I really start during
the summer.
Ah, the final count: I need 5,35 movies per week to complete my goals on time.

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version