Joined 4019 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 113 of 217
26 May 2015 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Today, I had a lot of time. Instead of studying patophysiology and learning
German, I wrongly chose to eat tons of various things, feel horrible, pity myself, be angry with
the world, watch 3 episodes of a tv series and spend about an hour on 9gag and other such
great occupations.

That. Oh that. I know all about that.
Guess we need to have more books about self-discipline and stuff. But I doubt I can discipline
myself to read one haha.
Btw, I know where you can get first 4 seasons of Doctor Who (the new one) in German, some
movies in German and even audiobooks. There's one famous social network that does such
wonderful things, but no links outside PM :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 114 of 217
26 May 2015 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Via Diva, have I already confessed my feelings towards you? It is not just gratefulness for your offer of links to what-must-not-be-named. You've been one of the constant inspirations and one of those I admire! And I don't recommend books about self-discipline and stuff, they make far too convenient procrastination excuses :-D

Speaking of procrastination. I went through a few pages of the newest vocabulary thread. I really liked the first few pages, where I could read about routines of other people that are food for thought. The rest turned into the usual battle full of strawmen with the same combatants on each side and same arguments. I don't feel like participating for a dozenth time, especially as I feel like just my person is becoming more oil to the fire. So, inspired by the thread, I thought of summing up my thoughts on the matter. Even if noone else is interested in my opinion, I can sort my thoughts up.

-while knowing a few hundred words is certainly enough to get you started, even get you started with speaking, only a fool can believe knowing really well a few hundred words suffices for most kinds of conversations, unless you want to bore the natives to sleep. And remember that most languages are very different from English where you can basically substitute most verbs by one of the most common ones with a preposition. And the more different is the new language from your old ones, the more vocabulary learning awaits you.
-CEFR exams, both those I have passed and others I have only informed myself about, DO usualy evaluate your vocabulary. No, the examinator doesn't count words. But they certainly pay attention whether you use appropriate words, whether you aren't repeating yourself too much and so on. A practical example: I was warned by an examinator I had spoken with before my CAE, that repeated use of words like "good" and "interesting" is a serious red flag.
-frequency lists and such tools cannot predict what words are YOU gonna need. A frequency list based on newspaper vocabulary won't cover your needs in many other areas.
-however, vocabulary sources (like Vocabulaire Progressif) can give you base for a wide range of situations. For everyday vocabulary, I can as well recommend tv series and books of the "lower" genres.
-sure, you can always use a dictionary and ask the native for a word. But if you do it too much, you'll bore and annoy yourself and (which is worse) the native. You can make your life much more comfortable by learning a few thousand words you are likely to need before the necessity actually arises.
-sure, you can learn a lot from input and should choose input of appropriate level for you. But sometimes, the graded readers are just so boring... and yes, you can learn most of the commonly learnt words from books and movies but there are words you are gonna need and that happen to be in your input once or twice per 10000 pages. And they might be vital for some situations.
-about srs decks: noone forces you to use a premade one without any changes. delete words you don't see yourself using. add words from your studies
-of course you cannot learn a language just by hoarding words, just by learning a 5000 core words list on memrise without anything else. Of course. And the htlalers usualy know that perfectly fine. But vocabulary learning, whether you use more immersion tools or lists and srs, needs to be part of the learning process. All the grammar and accent in the world won't save you if your vocabulary is smaller than that of three year old.
-learning a list doesn't necessarily mean learning without context. the other pillars of learning usually provide that and you can always google more. I've correctly actively used words I had only encountered in a premade srs deck a few times already. So, I wouldn't doom those decks either.

A practical example:
1.One of the posters (I think rdearman?) found a great book about the Bombai city, which is above his current level. But it makes him much more interested and passionate than some graded book or kids' stories. Therefore there is no reason to switch for something else.
2.A common vocabulary poster claims there are two approaches: just diving in with a dictionary no matter how much work it is going to be (intensive reading is about that but not everyone can be an intensive reader. i surely cannot). The other is just memorising a 10000 words list and hoping the words are gonna be there. That is one of the common strawmen, in my opinion. Of course there are gonna be many differen words.
3.My approach is a third one: no general/newspaper frequency list but learning a few lists of words commonly associated with description of city layout, architecture, history. And then dive in and get lost much less often and enjoy the reading much more right away.

Really, you cannot predict future and every new situation is likely to teach you a few more words. But refusing to learn too much beforehand, in fear of learning some useless words, that is stupid and may cost you, from my experience. There are situations that make you wish you had learnt more vocabulary.

So, if someone was asking me: "Cavesa, how the hell am I gonna learn all that vocabulary? There is so much of it!" I'd say:
"No worries, you don't need to learn it all at once. You don't need to guess your future needs. Start with vocabulary builders for beginners and intermediates, use the vocabulary lists in your course. Continue with lots of native input, that will teach you lots of vocabulary in context, even though not everything you are likely to need. Use any kind of dictionary you find comfortable whenever you feel the need. Use SRS if you like, or write lists, try mnemonics or whatever else that might be helpful. Don't worry about not knowing all the meanings of a word at once. Learn the most common few and acquire the rest on the go. And above all, don't freak out, there is no reason to. At any time, look up words YOU are likely to need no matter their overall frequency. Find out examples, google is your friend. And don't forget you'll need a much larger passive than active vocabulary as the natives don't usually go through lobotomy before speaking to learners."

Thanks for either reading or skipping this. Now that it's writen down, I no longer feel any temptation to respond to the vocab threads of doom.
7 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 115 of 217
26 May 2015 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Quote:
only a fool can believe knowing really well a few hundred words suffices for
most kinds of conversations, unless you want to bore the natives to sleep.

Inject some personality into your conversation. Someone stuttering out their Chinese
is a boring idle good-for-nothing, but in this case I have resolved to gesticulating,
paraphrasing, whipping out my phone and using Pleco while I murmur a long, drawn-out
sound and triumphantly announce that it is "word x"! If you feel you are boring, force
yourself to think on your feet so that you can comeback from every lull.

And don't forget that conversations naturally pause. I used to have to interview
people professionally, and one of the key things you can do is shut up for a few
seconds. The other will want to fill the void, and then you capitalize. You can let
them do the hard work. If you work with a teacher, they will be masters of this
technique.

About self-discipline: I don't have it. I just have boundless energy when motivated
and this keeps me going. I stop when I don't and then I realise I need to sleep/eat/go
to the bathroom/do some other useless chore. Which leads to very arhythmic and chaotic
day plans, but I love it that way.

Basically, what matters is getting things done. Some people schedule it down to the
details, some don't. Find the method that suits you and then burn through your skills.

Edited by tarvos on 26 May 2015 at 5:46am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 116 of 217
26 May 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I am one of those people who prefer to use many more words than just the hands-legs language, it might be a personality fault, I admit. My father is awesome at the latter, he can have a "conversation" and get things done in quite whichever language and he knows like 50 words of English and 10 Italian despite years spent on English. But the truth is that I get very frustrated when my vocabulary is not sufficient to cover my needs even roughly. And I've been in situations where the gesticulation heavy low-vocabulary conversation was really painful and complicated.

Sure the conversation pauses and you are not having a monologue. That's why I mention the need to have a larger passive vocabulary. The other side will carry their part but you need to understand them. I think the value of passive vocabulary for active skills tends to be underestimated sometimes.

Yes, get the things done in whatever way you find to work. However, what I mind in those doom threads are a few mindsets I find potentially poisonous.

1.The approach "I don't want to learn too many words beforehand, because I might not need them" is, in my opinion, quite a bad approach to most kinds of learning. After all, why learn a foreign language you are not guaranteed to really need? This kind of thinking basically turns most htlalers into fools as we tend to be learning tons of things we might never trully need.

2.And frustrating yourself over not knowing all 100 uses of a very common word, that is unnecessary.
I think some of the examples are as welltoo English centered, some of the common examples are rather specific to it. In some languages, you are better investing your time learning 10 various verbs than 10 uses of one.

3.The polarization. From what I read around htlal, vast majority of learners uses some kind of combination of methods, few are pure native inputits who wouldn't touch a course (and a language course is already a kind of wordlist in some ways) and even fewer are the srs hoarders who don't do anything else.

4.Some of the arguments used are often just arrogant or obvious strawmen. (btw I would find it offensive and would feel embarassed to just repeat the same thing over and over despite several successful polyglots having valid counterarguments.)

3.And particularily, the way sallard mixes in cefr levels and exams without having personal experience with them (perhaps someone else takes the skeleton of the closet sometimes as well but I cannot remember any other names now), that is just incorrect. I am not speaking about Quebec immigrant exams, JLPT, etc. I have information only about exams in my TLs. When it comes to those: Anyone who expects their vocabulary not to be evaluated (especially in the B and C levels) just because it is not counted and you are usually not given a list to memorize beforehand, is naive and likely to fail the exam if they count on such a myth too much. And the exams are not the only point in learning and life.

Sometimes I feel I have less self-discipline and focus with every day passing. :-D
Thanks for your support, Tarvos. Not being the only hard-to-find-a-routine one gives me hope
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 117 of 217
26 May 2015 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Yeah, I am one of those people who prefer to use many more words than
just the hands-legs language, it might be a personality fault, I admit. My father is
awesome at the latter, he can have a "conversation" and get things done in quite
whichever language and he knows like 50 words of English and 10 Italian despite years
spent on English. But the truth is that I get very frustrated when my vocabulary is
not sufficient to cover my needs even roughly. And I've been in situations where the
gesticulation heavy low-vocabulary conversation was really painful and complicated.

By all means, prepare. Preparation never hurts. I don't do it because I am a lazy
butt, but the two are not mutually exclusive. I find it horribly annoying having to
gesticulate or sound like Tarzan, too - the reason I do it is because it is better
than keeping my mouth shut when I need something. It's not a strategy to move forward,
it's a strategy to cope while you move inwards to find a way to move forward. This way
you can keep unwanted problems at bay for a while until you find the right way to say
it. It's like using a blunt knife - you can't cut well with it, but by golly those
vegetables need peeling and cutting! So you better cut the best way you can and in the
meanwhile try and see if there's a sharp knife around.

Quote:
Sure the conversation pauses and you are not having a monologue. That's why I
mention the need to have a larger passive vocabulary. The other side will carry their
part but you need to understand them. I think the value of passive vocabulary for
active skills tends to be underestimated sometimes.

No comprehension isn't always vocab. Often it's also poor ear training and
pronunciation. More vocab helps, but if you don't know what that word sounds like you
won't understand it in hearing. People need to train pronunciation and actively
listening more. Very often in Mandarin, I know what the word is that is being said,
just not its meaning (that you can look up with Pleco). I really advocate more
speaking in this case because you are not getting used to actually listening for and
using the language in a real context. Passive vocabulary will give you extra words
when you recognize them, but you need to be able to pronounce them properly (including
stress/tones!) when you want to hear them in speech. It's not an or/or situation. The
and is important.

Yes, get the things done in whatever way you find to work. However, what I mind in
those doom threads are a few mindsets I find potentially poisonous.

Quote:
1.The approach "I don't want to learn too many words beforehand, because I
might not need them" is, in my opinion, quite a bad approach to most kinds of
learning. After all, why learn a foreign language you are not guaranteed to really
need? This kind of thinking basically turns most htlalers into fools as we tend to be
learning tons of things we might never trully need.

I mostly skip jargon. I'm never going to actually need that. It's not that you don't
need it; it's that it won't push you forward right now when you could be learning a
useful word like "faire" and a few forms in French first. Because the "faire" will
bring you a longer way than "vis-écrou". Unless you're a carpenter.

Quote:
2.And frustrating yourself over not knowing all 100 uses of a very common word,
that is unnecessary.
I think some of the examples are as welltoo English centered, some of the common
examples are rather specific to it. In some languages, you are better investing your
time learning 10 various verbs than 10 uses of one.

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on your life and context.

Quote:
3.The polarization. From what I read around htlal, vast majority of learners
uses some kind of combination of methods, few are pure native inputits who wouldn't
touch a course (and a language course is already a kind of wordlist in some ways) and
even fewer are the srs hoarders who don't do anything else.

I hate categorizing, but one reason I seem so unstructured is because I don't think
there's a method or approach, rather than a huge number of small ones to solve
problems. When someone asks, can you cook, the answer isn't yes or no, straight up;
it's "can I cook what exactly? Steak? Rice? Pancakes?". Because I can make most basic
things but a good tournedos will still stretch me. And the times I do roast beef right
make me proud, but I know it's just beginner's luck. No one is a pure this or that,
they just have favourite tools based on context. And if someone looks through my log a
bit they can find all of that info in there.

Quote:
4.Some of the arguments used are often just arrogant or obvious strawmen. (btw
I would find it offensive and would feel embarassed to just repeat the same thing over
and over despite several successful polyglots having valid counterarguments.)

This is probably an attack at s_allard, but it's generally problematic of internet
debates. The only way to respond is to not do it and leave them be. If they want to be
deluded let them, you can't stop them.

Quote:
.And particularily, the way sallard mixes in cefr levels and exams without
having personal experience with them (perhaps someone else takes the skeleton of the
closet sometimes as well but I cannot remember any other names now), that is just
incorrect. I am not speaking about Quebec immigrant exams, JLPT, etc. I have
information only about exams in my TLs. When it comes to those: Anyone who expects
their vocabulary not to be evaluated (especially in the B and C levels) just because
it is not counted and you are usually not given a list to memorize beforehand, is
naive and likely to fail the exam if they count on such a myth too much. And the exams
are not the only point in learning and life.

I'm working on sitting the Russian C2 exam and the skills I use for it are different
(I've honed them so I'm okay) but the thing is an exam situation is very contrived and
requires a different approach and methodology. The problem is if you can only think in
general terms and never see smaller situations then you will cut too broadly and never
have a good solution for a specific problem. Language has much more in common with
medicine and engineering than people think. We don't want to find a cure-all for
cancer; we want to treat that damn cold right now. Or an allergy to peanuts etc. etc.
etc.

Quote:
Sometimes I feel I have less self-discipline and focus with every day passing.
:-DThanks for your support, Tarvos. Not being the only hard-to-find-a-routine one
gives me hope

No probs. By all means do ask yourself if you need a routine, though. Some people
function best without it, and they achieve great results. Iversen is a prime example.

Edited by tarvos on 26 May 2015 at 6:59am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6488 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 118 of 217
26 May 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
I have lots of routines, like doing wordlists, copying texts with or without hyperliteral translations etc. etc. However I try to avoid having a fixed schedule. It is enough that I try to cover all my languages and all my methods within a reasonable time frame. I don't want to know that Thursday at. 19.47 is wordlist time in Greek or listening-like-a-bloodhound time in Serbian. But both activities should take place at least once during the next week or so.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 119 of 217
26 May 2015 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
By routine people mean the scheduled ones, that is what I meant. But I agree with you
wholeheartedly otherwise.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4992 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 120 of 217
26 May 2015 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I went through a few pages of the newest vocabulary thread. I really liked
the first few pages, where I could read about routines of other people that are food for
thought. The rest turned into the usual battle full of strawmen with the same combatants
on each side and same arguments.

I've mostly been avoiding that thread like the plague, so thanks for confirming my
suspicions :) I did look at a few recent posts out of curiosity the other day and it was
the same bloody 300-words debate that's been done to death on several other threads. No
thanks, I'll be out learning my languages while they all go around in circles and
deliberately misinterpret each other's arguments.

As usual my views are quite moderate: I think it's very important to master basic usage
and many learners don't focus on it enough - more than enough learners know a lot of
vocabulary yet struggle to express simple things and make tons of basic mistakes, and
that includes myself at times - but at the same time, the basics only get you so far and
you need more if you want to speak well in a variety of situations. But moderate opinions
like mine are no fun in Internet debates!

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version