Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 161 of 217
23 June 2015 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Well, heartbreaks are gonna be dealt with when I'll have my exams done. I have awesome friends, great dad, and tons of books, tv series and computer games to look forward to after the exams. (I invested 10 euros in games mostly in German in the last gog sale btw).

I am now doing bits of Spanish grammar every day (ok, now it's day two), as it is refreshing and doesn't take more time than a cup of coffee. But I need to work harder on my exams. I had to change the schedule and postpone them as I good bad toothache and had to visit my dentist instead. To the list of awesome parts of my life: I have the best dentist in the whole world. She is great! She really saved me.
You know, it feels like a real betrayal when a piece of chocolate paralyzes me with pain.

I'll see what I can do about traveling during the holidays. Berlin sounds really cool and I'd be excited to meet you, guys :-)

Russian is not the only language with awesomely monolingual natives. There are the Italians, Spaniards, Hungarians, older Austrians and so on :-)

Btw I had a brief French encounter yesterday, on my way from the dentist. I was advicing a tourist couple how to get to their hotel and they didn't switch despite my French being possibly influenced by the fact half my mouth was still recovering from anesthesia. ;-) And they didn't compliment my French, which was actually the biggest possible compliment, if you know what I mean :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 162 of 217
23 June 2015 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Heureka, progress in German! When did it happen? No idea! When did I find out? Right now!

A friend shared a newspaper commentary on facebook: Habermas:Merkels Griechenland-Politik ist ein Fehler.

And I could understand! Not every word by far. But I could understand even some not that obvious things like ...hatte er für die Euro-Gruppe die Kastanien aus dem Feuer geholt.

And I get what it is about, most of the thoughts. Sure, I am far from perfection, I could do with a dictionary but I can get a lot of things without it! YAY!!!!!

A very needed piece of motivation to continue my German studies asap.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4002 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 163 of 217
23 June 2015 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Keep going! Well done!
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 164 of 217
23 June 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Very well done! I (unsurprisingly) didn't understand even a word of the bits you posted.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4308 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 165 of 217
23 June 2015 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Elenia wrote:
Very well done! I (unsurprisingly) didn't understand even a word of the
bits you posted.

Sounds like they had a delicious meal:
too long url to include

Edited by daegga on 23 June 2015 at 8:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 166 of 217
23 June 2015 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

A friend shared a newspaper commentary on facebook: Habermas:Merkels Griechenland-Politik ist ein Fehler.

Congratulations! I saw the same article the other day, though I didn't get around to reading it.

Habermas is regarded as one (the?) greatest living German intellectuals, so if you are enjoying reading him you are doing ok.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 167 of 217
24 June 2015 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'll see what I can do about traveling during the holidays. Berlin sounds really
cool and I'd be excited to meet you, guys :-)

If you can make it there in the beginning of August you may even meet some Frenchies
(which is the reason I'm going :))

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 168 of 217
25 June 2015 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Thanks!

About the bit I posted: I find that Czech is not a bad base for learning German, for example compared to English. Sure, the pronunciation isn't that different, the grammar has a lot of common features and logic (for example the conjugations, despite fewer cases, are very often easily transfered), we share vocabulary from the times when most Czechs spoke German. But the funniest is exactly this, the Kastanien like things. The sayings and idioms are often the same. More often than those in my other languages (even though I believe whole Europe shares many more than we usually suspect).

I got my DALF C2 score as I asked for it out of curiosity. I haven't got the diploma yet (why, oh dear AF, why can't you use a little bit of all the high exam fees to buy a second printer?), I haven't found out the scores for each of the parts.

But my overall score is 58/100.
-it is not bad. I felt bad in 2010, when I got exactly 50 (the minimum to pass) in the DELF B2. Obviously, I progressed far from there. And the DELF/DALF exams are meant to be hard and 50(=pass) is already a good result usually.
-it is not awesome either. Even considering the fact the examinators very rarely give over 35 in either part of C2 from what I heard (hard to tell how good my source is, why is there no official information? It is not irrelevant to see how many people are probably underestimating/overestimating their abilities when you're making the decision), I still hoped to be above 60 or 65 at least.

After I'll have my uni exams, I'll get back to languages. And I consider trying a DELE in November, as those exams obviously work as great motivation for me. However, I have no clue about the level and will need to pay for a consultation (basically an interview with assessment, from what I read).
My passive skills are at least C1, even though I need to work on my weaker areas to get the comprehension to the French or English level.
My active skills? No clue. I have too little writing practice in my life and not many speaking opportunities (but I still meet many more Spanish natives than French or German ones usually). Based on those, I suppose I could strive for at least B1, perhaps B2 if I work hard on my grammar and vocabulary. I certanly don't intend to pay a tutor for a B level exam preparation.

GOod night, I need to study.

P.S. beginning of August doesn't look too good, I'll probably be taking care of some exchange students and that means mostly time at the beginning of the month.

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version