Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 25 of 217
23 February 2015 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

-the hard ones. Japanese or Chinese sound better and better, youtube is already
showing me adds in Arabic for some weird reason (I didn't watch nearly anything
related lately), but I won't take any of these as that wouldn't be a responsible
choice now.

If I was your age, and had your passion for languages, I'd personally go for Chinese or Japanese, partly for the challenge, and partly because I find the cultures very interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3602 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 26 of 217
23 February 2015 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Is interference that big a deal?   I mean, I experience it all the time even with
languages very different from each other. This morning on the train I was doing
Danish
on Memrise and a couple of times all I could think of was the Indonesian word for the
same thing. Lasts a few seconds, my mental gears have to creak a bit. Then the right
word comes.   It's definitely a thing, but I've never ought of it as a reason not to
do
more than one language. Perhaps if/when I do Norwegian after Danish, very similar
written languages - I will have a different experience?

So sure interference between Italian/Spanish maybe sometimes, but I would've thought
the
positive aspects of the similarities would more than make up for it? Genuinely
interested if people experience this as a significant problem, not just a momentary
inconvenience?

PS. Congratulations in anticipation of confirmation of your exam success! What an
achievement.

Edited by redflag on 23 February 2015 at 11:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 27 of 217
23 February 2015 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I managed very little interference when consciously working on Spanish or French during the same period in
my life, but... they are far enough apart for me to not mix them up. It seems I just switch entirely into
French/Spanish/whatever language mode and generally don't get mixed up, but I certainly have also had
moments like redflags here and there as well in which when i'm in a more casual pensive mode (not
consciously studying/producing the language) in my head for example where i'll mix three languages in one
sentence. Actually there have been one or two occasions in a foreign environment in which i've actually said
a French word to a Spanish person by accident and quickly realised my error, but all in all these incidents for
me have been rare. Time is more an issue for me when trying to learn more than one language.

However, I think Cavesa's apprehension regarding Italian messing with Spanish is a very valid one. I've read
of a few experienced language learners really stuffing up a learned romance language by introducing the next
romance language. This is only with regards to Spanish, Italian and Portuguese from what I've read. In
particular I vaguely remember a blog or something I read two or three years ago online in which the person
had advanced Spanish skills and went on to intensely study Portuguese but his/her Spanish was destroyed
and took some time to be able to 'recover it'. Whether or not he/she was eventually able to manage both I
don't remember, but I get the sense that he/she decided to give up on Portuguese in the end.

I guess Cavesa your best option is if you feel like simply taking the risk at some point then do so, otherwise in
the meantime try a different language. You could see it as an experiment that you could abort at any time... ie
a few months of Italian and see how your Spanish is going... all ok... a few more months... check again, and
so on.

I think it's worthwhile to get your Spanish to a more advanced level though in my opinion before adding
Italian. Also I would assume it would be best to keep your exposure to Spanish up when you study Italian so
you can learn to differentiate between the subtleties of the two within your head. That situation I related
above I believe that person had put their Spanish aside while focusing on Portuguese and I think especially
with Italian and Spanish that could be a recipe for disaster as it could rewrite/rewire your Spanish 'code' in
your head into Italian, particularly if you're good at shortcutting the language with tricks such as recognising
cognates and similarities to other languges and memorising such shortcuts to develop new word endings and
in turn new words - you could rewire your Spanish brain into an Italian one by rewriting those shortcuts.

In summary I'd think continue regular Spanish when introducing Italian, but at a later stage when your
Spanish is advanced enough (that could be now, not sure exactly what your level is) and proceed with
caution.   

I wonder if anyone's ever had problems with ther German / Dutch combination... or Danish/ Swedish/
Norwegian...

PM

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3842 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 28 of 217
23 February 2015 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow, C2 in French without having lived in France, thats impressive!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 29 of 217
24 February 2015 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Patrik, I am my age and I have my passion for languages but I have a pathology exam to
prepare for. And two others at the end of the semester. But pathology is a nightmare.
It is very interesting, unlike most subjects, but there is so much information! There
is even a joke: Chuck Norris counted to infinity? Nope, he got much further. He
counted all the pathology exam questions!

Thanks redflag, but I'm still waiting with receiving congratulations. Normally, I am
the High Mistress of the Pass-it-by-a-hair Clan but I sometimes I get among the
unlucky ones, one or two points under the bar. So, I am still waiting impatiently for
the final results.

I am really tempted by Italian. When it came to adding Spanish to my French, the
positive side prevailed. I got a huge discount on comprehension and as well grammar
and vocabulary. But the interference was there a bit, fought by lots of listening
mostly, as I feel the languages are much more different in sound than in writing.
Perhaps that could work for Italian as well? But my French was much better back then
than my Spanish is now, so the balance might be different.

I love Italy, I've visited it five times so far and want to see more of it! I love the
food, the culture, the music, I suppose I'll love the books and movies and tv series
as well. And the people have always appeared really friendly, which is a huge plus.

So, why am I hesitating? Perhaps out of subconscious pride, ordering me not to get an
"easy" language? Or because I feel bad about abandoning Swedish for now? Because I've
been considering learning a slavic language so that I finally get a learning discount
thanks to my native language as well? I don't know.

But I am starting to feel I'll end up with Italian as the next serious language
in the end.

I'll give myself a month to get back into the pace with Spanish and German and I think
I'll know by then :-)

Edited by Cavesa on 24 February 2015 at 12:11am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 30 of 217
24 February 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Patrik, I am my age and I have my passion for languages but I have a pathology exam to
prepare for. And two others at the end of the semester. But pathology is a nightmare.
It is very interesting, unlike most subjects, but there is so much information! There
is even a joke: Chuck Norris counted to infinity? Nope, he got much further. He
counted all the pathology exam questions!

I just think with Japanese/Chinese you are looking at 10 years or more to get the full benefit.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the French result.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 31 of 217
24 February 2015 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I write so slowly new posts appear before I post the reply :-D

Peter, I think you are right that Spanish-Italian might be a problem due to my Spanish
not being advanced enough. My passive Spanish is really good, especially considering
not that high amount of efforts put in, but I should probably get a solid foundation
in grammar before adding another romance language to the mix. Thanks god at least my
old bits of Latin aren't dancing in the circle as well. Or I could try and see how it
works out, true.

During my last attempt at Swedish, I didn't have much trouble with interference with
German but I have a bad feeling it may come. Even though redflag's experience shows my
fears may be unfounded.

And I've been totally neglecting my slavic plans. I have a native language with lots
of relatives and I haven't learnt any yet, isn't that a waste of potential? But I have
already postponed reading the newest Sapkowski until I can do so in Polish :-D

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 32 of 217
24 February 2015 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Very true, patrick. With Italian or Polish, I suppose I could simply have fun in the
language in just a year or two. Japanese and Mandarin are a much more difficult path. And
Arabic as well, even though those Arabic adds on youtube sounded awesome! (Don't look
down on me, :-) it was an add promoting a panarabic charity, if I guessed correctly. And
youtube made me watch it twice or three times already)

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version