Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 41 of 217
12 March 2015 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Another update:

Spanish.
Despite still having a little trouble with returning to formal studying, I do small
bits of it when my input requires it though. I've noticed some progress in reading and
my listening, when it comes to Isabel, is nearly as good as that in my other
languages. However, there are still bits which are much harder (and my comprehension
drops) and I suppose this level will disappear again when I switch to another series
and I'll need to rebuild it a few more times before it gets permanent.

As I said, I am still watching Isabel, I'm in season 2 now and it is awesome. There
are a few more series I am looking forward to but I don't want to start them too soon
(Isabel is already taking quite a lot of my time).
The SC counting bot shows 32 movies, which is nearly 1/3 of the challenge.

Reading. I am still fighting El palacio de la medianoche. I like and dislike the book
at the same time. I don't know exactly why, it just doesn't suit me as much as El
principe de la niebla had. I hope the third part of the trilogy will again catch me.
It's not a trouble related to the language or difficulty. It's the story, the setting,
the characters, I don't know.

But I read something else (finished yesterday and added 329 pages to the SC counter,
which took me over 1/10 of the challenge). Mascarada by Terry Pratchett, the Spanish
translation. He is tricky in any language, I was having troubles at the beginning (and
was glad to have read the book before) and at times later as well. But I was having
fun so much it felt easier than CRZ. I think Pratchett tends to be a very good choice
even in translations, but you either need to be quite advanced or a Pratchett lover
like me :-)

German:
Help, I don't know how to get into the flow again. I have trouble sitting down and
learning it, despite wanting to. What should I do?

French:
a bit of maintenance, watched 0,5 movie for ASCR, three episodes of Hero Corp. This
show is quite demanding. The trouble is not that much the comprehension per se. It is
just not effortless, which is rare for me. Still no sigh of my certificate with the
points.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 42 of 217
12 March 2015 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

German:
Help, I don't know how to get into the flow again. I have trouble sitting down and

I am having a bit of a language break at the moment, and sort of feel the same way.

How advanced is your German? Can you watch TV shows comfortably? If so, I'd suggest just devouring some show you like. I'm watching Fringe at the moment which is pretty well dubbed. There are so many shows to watch.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 43 of 217
12 March 2015 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Nope, my German is totally weak. The phone call I had two weeks ago was the top of my
skills and it was far from perfect, just got the job done.

I cannot devour native input. I consider intensive reading for the first time in
years. I need to get grammar down, work on the basic vocabulary.

I've been stuck for years. Reforcusing on French in December (or November?) killed the
streak I had with Assimil. It is hard getting back to it all.

Duolingo is fun but I cannot keep to it either and I don't feel like progressing much.
And I find the structure too restrictive (I'd prefer fewer levels with more courses to
choose from instead of having to pass the chosen two or three before being allowed to
get others).

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 44 of 217
12 March 2015 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

I cannot devour native input. I consider intensive reading for the first time in
years. I need to get grammar down, work on the basic vocabulary.

Then I guess Kindle with cursor plus PONS dictionary would be a good way to go.

I was reading Harry Potter pretty early on (within the first three months) so I am sure you'd be able to manage something like this. It's just slow at first (as you know).

The Percy Jackson series are a bit easier if you want to start with something more manageable.

I did enjoy watching True Blood almost from the start so perhaps you could also manage this, especially if you have already seen some episodes.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 45 of 217
12 March 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
If only I had the money for a Kindle now. Ipad is great at many things but I have yet
to find an app that would be "kindlelike" with the dictionaries and such things. And
Kindle is less tiresome for the eyes.

Perhaps you're right and I should dive into the native input anyways, at least as a
way to get me to the "real studying" as well, based on things I meet in the books/tv
series.

I watched one episode of True Blood and I should continue, true. It is however
difficult. I'll start with Eragon as I've already got the books and I don't expect it
to be harder than HP (but I might be wrong).

Thanks for the encouragement and push in the right direction!

By the way, I suppose everyone already knows Terry Pratchett died today :-( We were
just speaking about him with a few people about half an hour before I read the news.

He will be missed. His bookes helped me immensely during some sadder times (and will
in future again, should the need arise) and just have been fun during the better ones.
And his bravery when faced with Alzheimer, that is another thing to admire. His
example made it easier to speak about the illness with my granny who is at the early
stage of it. He was someone I respected and loved despite never having met him,
perhaps as a wise grandpa telling awesome stories. He was one of the rare people to
get that close to millions of hearts.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 46 of 217
12 March 2015 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
WRT Kindle's I don't know what it's like in Czech, but you can buy the 6-inch Kindle with cursor 2nd hand on Ebay for about 40 Euros. It's actually much better for language learning than the newer touch screen models, as you can quickly run the cursor down the to look up words, and definitions are far less intrusive on the screen.

Of course, 40 Euros is still 40 Euros.

Eragon sounds good. I haven't read it, but it sounds really nice. You know the routine. You just have to suck up not being able to read very quickly at first.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the grammar. I am walking proof that that is not the main impediment to reading!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 47 of 217
12 March 2015 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

By the way, I suppose everyone already knows Terry Pratchett died today :-( We were
just speaking about him with a few people about half an hour before I read the news.

He will be missed. His bookes helped me immensely during some sadder times (and will
in future again, should the need arise) and just have been fun during the better ones.
And his bravery when faced with Alzheimer, that is another thing to admire. His
example made it easier to speak about the illness with my granny who is at the early
stage of it. He was someone I respected and loved despite never having met him,
perhaps as a wise grandpa telling awesome stories. He was one of the rare people to
get that close to millions of hearts.

I hadn't yet heard. What sad news.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 48 of 217
13 March 2015 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

German:

Time for some easy reading.
On Lingq, there is a course called Schritt für Schritt.
Many lessons consist of an easy German reader, others explain grammar. Just skip the grammar ones and read the reader-lessons. Using the inbuilt dictionary (similar to Patrick's workflow).

The next step is Assimil.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version