Canadian book on learning Old Irish

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5075 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 5
12 January 2015 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Saw this today and thought I'd share it with the community. Dr. Ranke de Vries, Professor in the Department of Celtic Studies at St Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, has written a book "A Student's Companion to Old Irish Grammar". There's a nine minute interview with the author talking about the language, the book and the Department of Celtic Studies at St Francis Xavier University here. I know this is esoteric, but it's not often you get a chance to listen to an interview with an author of a book about an ancient language plus, she's Dutch with a PHD in Celtic languages and teaches at a Canadian university. The love of language has no bounds.

Edited by iguanamon on 12 January 2015 at 5:55pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 5
12 January 2015 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing it with us, Iguanamon!

I've been interested in Old Irish for some time now, but unfortunately there aren't many resources out there. So, this book might be interesting.

The interview itself is very interesting as well! It's a pleasure to hear some body talk about Old Irish in a radio show. You don't get that every day!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5369 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 5
13 January 2015 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing the link, iguanamon, I find Old Irish fascinating! I look forward to listening to the interview later with a cup of tea when I get home from work. :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 5
13 January 2015 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I just ordered the book from Amazon. It was so low-priced that I thought "why not?". So I got it as a belated Christmas present to myself. I'll probably receive it on Thursday and tell you more about it then.

Thanks again for posting this, iguanamon! Otherwise, I would probably never have heard of this great resource.

Edited by Josquin on 13 January 2015 at 5:57pm

Potted Plant
Ireland
Joined 3463 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 5 of 5
19 January 2015 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Its always a pleasure to hear that people from other (and far more exciting) countries are taking an interest in Gaelic, never mind Old Gaelic!

I am not too sure of the development of Gaelic and its varieties used over the centuries, so I won't be able to advise exactly which texts would be of use or not. However I do know from my own studies that there is a large amount of historical sources written in Gaelic from the early medieval age to the end of early modern period. Annals, Lifes, religious texts, Law, Genealogy, can all be found online.

I am aware that these texts may be a bit dry to read, so do have a look for some tales, legends and myths (such as CĂș Chulainn, Tain Bo, the Red Branch Knights, etc). I would be very surprised that the most famous of these are not online, or any other tales.

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_annals
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/   (University College Cork)

The above are just off the top of my head. If anyone is interested I will have a look through my notes to see if I know of more. Checking the Irish universities' websites (NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth, University College Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, etc) would be a good idea as these may be another source of reading material for Old Gaelic.

Good luck in your studies!

Edited by Potted Plant on 19 January 2015 at 7:52am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version