United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3803 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 42
22 January 2015 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Bienvenue fortheo! You are making great progress with solid resources! For French Canadian music: I like
Robert Charlebois, a very prominent figure in Quebec music. Lindbergh, Ordinaire, and je reviendrai a
montreal are some of his more popular songs. I also like Harmonium, Pour Un Instant. Both of these bands
fall more in the Classic Rock genre. I also like Zachary Richard, mentioned earlier and Terez Montcalm, but I
know less of them than the others.   For cartoons, the only thing I have watched has been the Blake et
Mortimer series which you can find on YouTube, but this is not Quebec French. I listen to C'est la Vie
podcast, but the one I listen to is a word of a week where different usages of the word are explored it is in
Quebec French/English. I also watch to the Telejournal, a nightly news program, which is not geo-restricted,
98.5 out of Montreal is a great talk radio during the week (on the weekend it is mainly music). You get news,
weather, traffic, call-in shows, etc. It is excellent source for a variety of accents, speed, registers, etc. You can
listen to it with Tune In Radio app.

One recommendation for you, I easily found Quebecoise language exchange partners. You may not be quite
ready for a speaking language exchange, but it won't be long, and you could start exchanging by emails now
- which I also did. I have also found that having language partners and listening resources in France and
Quebec has trained my ear for both from the beginning.

Have fun on this journey!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 42
22 January 2015 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
Easy French Reader

I'm almost finished with the first section in my Easy french Reader. For some reason they didn't record audio for the rest of the book, which sucks because those lessons look far more interesting. The easy reader was my favorite form of comprehensible input; but without audio in the upcoming sections, I may try something else. I might switch to some other easy audiobooks that I have, or I may use the extra time to focus more on the text and audio lessons of FIA, I'm not sure yet.

You're doing great to persevere with this. I could not stand some of the silly character voices in the audio, and I quit using it. I particularly remember being annoyed by the classroom scene with the fly.

fortheo wrote:
FIA
Speaking of FIA, my god, the occupations episodes were torture for me. I don't know why. I just kept day dreaming during those episodes (I watched them numerous times) and it wasn't even daydreams that included Mireille—I welcome those day dreams; it was just day dreams of something boring like fixing my door. That's how bored I was with the occupation episodes (16-18). I got through them, but they definitely weren't my strongest French moments.

I can't remember which lessons they were, but the episodes where they were on holiday in a beach house but had to stay in because it was raining really dragged for me.

fortheo wrote:
I'm also still hoping someone can suggest some cartoons :)

I really like Les P'tits Diables. They talk fast, but you can always tell what's going on. Others have really enjoyed the cartoons of Le Petit Nicolas (but I've only watched a few myself).
2 persons have voted this message useful

fortheo
United States
Joined 4832 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 11 of 42
01 February 2015 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
@mohave and Jeffers
Thanks for all the suggestions! I do have a few Quebecoise language partners on skype, though I am not at a level where I can get the best use out of them just yet. Thanks for all the music and cartoon suggestions as well! I'm looking forward to getting into native material

Update
Assimil new french with ease - lesson 73 (15 for the active wave)
French in action - Lesson 23

It's been an okay week. Assimil has always been my main course and I've been staying on schedule with that, but I decided to drop the easy french reader for now because my interest in it plummeted to zero. FIA has been going...decently. I watch one lesson a day, and this past week I've watched about 3 episodes multiple times but I think I need to focus on the transcripts of these lessons a bit more because there is definitely more I can get out of it.

University has started and it's been rough. My usual 2 hours or so of french has been cut down to an hour or an hour and a half on a good day. I am taking a french course at uni, but it isn't really structured towards my learning style. For instance, If I'm going to learn a grammar point I would like to see a written paragraph (or more) that shows that grammar in real life use/in context. If I'm going to learn a grammar point I like to have already acquired the vocabulary involved in the lesson, that way I don't need to worry about learning the meaning and the grammar at the same time. However, for this uni class the professor merely throws out some words and then says, “ this is how they conjugate” I don't learn that way at all.

My comprehension has been very good in the class though, I understand just about everything the professor says. If there is one good thing that has come from the class thus far it's that it has elucidated my weakness: written grammar (and active skills in general). The only grammar I've studied was Michel Thomas and I spend very little time on the grammar points in assimil because I'm more worried about comprehension. I've always planned to acquire as much language as I can before I really focused on grammar, but I may need to change that in order to pass this class. I have Schaum's french grammar, and a Practice makes perfect book lying around somewhere—I may use one of those.

However, most grammar books tend to present the same problem as my university class: grammar out of context. Granted, these books do give you a “fill in the blank” sentence, so it is somewhat in context, but at the same time it just seems very stilted and unnatural to me for some reason. I don't learn by filling in the blanks, at least not at first; Instead I learn by seeing that grammar point many times in various contexts. Then when I have full grasp of the meaning I can activate it in fill in the blank exercises. Does that make sense to you guys?

Anyways, I'm still on track so that's good! I'm currently in a few literature classes and a sociolinguistics class that demands a lot of reading out of me, but if they ever slow down I plan to supplement assimil with the old 70's Linguaphone course. The audio quality is better than FWT (which I wanted to use) and the drawings are nicer. I'd like to start that right now because I know it has one continuous plot which is something that I like, but I know if I started it now I wouldn't be able to maintain my schedule.

Anyways, I'm just going to keep on going with watching FIA (looking at the transcripts when I need to) and using Assimil as my main course.

Edited by fortheo on 01 February 2015 at 7:24am

redflag
Australia
Joined 3638 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 12 of 42
01 February 2015 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
You might like Linguee if you don't already know it - it gives you multiple full contexts for words and phrases
http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/bien+que.h tml
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5272 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 13 of 42
01 February 2015 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
You're really moving through Assimil quite well fortheo. Looks like its been a really good month for you. The
Easy reader was pretty dull then hey? It might hold your interest more as you improve, or maybe it's just
rubbish.

Btw redflag's suggestion of linguee is an excellent one. It's perfect for finding examples of expressions used
in context. Good suggestion redflag!

Seems like uni has some pros and cons... listening to the prof sounds great!

Alors bonne continuation avec tes études ! Hopefully you can keep up the study outside of uni.

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 01 February 2015 at 12:19pm

fortheo
United States
Joined 4832 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 14 of 42
07 March 2015 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
redflag wrote:
You might like Linguee if you don't already know it - it gives you multiple full contexts for words and phrases
http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/bien+que.h tml

Thanks for the link, it's really useful!

@Peter
The easy reader wasn't boring, I may go back to it someday— I think I was just tired of it and would rather spend my time focusing on other things. My class is going well—the teacher does speak french more than my previous teacher did, but she still speaks in English the majority of the time. I'd rather the class be 80% in french, 20% English (just for little explanations) but alas I'm not the teacher. That said, the class is at least improving my grammar awareness.

@Mohaves and Jeffers
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm definitely looking forward to getting into cartoons and music and graphic novels and native material in general.

Quick update

Assimil new french with ease - lesson 89 (30 for the active wave)
French in action - Lesson 33

I've come to realize that I suck at updating this log! I am studying though, so that's good. I'd be lying if I said that my uni studies haven't hampered my french a little, but for the most part I've stayed on track. If I count my 3 hours a week of french classes, I probably devote about 12 hours or so a week to french. It's not a lot, but at least I'm consistently studying french for at least an hour or so a day.

There isn't much to really update on though; l'imparfait, passé composé, and the future tense is becoming a bit clearer; my grammar knowledge is largely passive and very scattered; and my speaking/listening seems about the same as ever. Overall things feel very stagnant and I'm hoping it's just a phase. Nonetheless, I keep plugging away at Assimil and FIA. I really just want to finish Assimil and use that time to jump into Native materials, but I know I should finish Assimil first other wise I'll probably never go back to it. FWE is great, but lately I feel as if I spend 70% of time reviewing and only 30% of time encountering new language

I also have the Assimil that was meant to teach English to french speakers. I realized half of the book was essentially a graded reader, so I've been reading lessons from that between my classes. I've read about 30 lessons from that book. Despite the simplicity of the lessons, there were a few words here and there that I wasn't familiar with; overall it has helped quench my thirst for new language.

Anyways, I'm still studying. Thanks for all the support!

Edited by fortheo on 07 March 2015 at 3:08am

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5752 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 15 of 42
07 March 2015 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Straya wrote:
Hi!

If you're heading to Quebec i would recommend the quebecois in 10 lessons i believe its
called. I had heard if it in the past and then benny lewis made mention of it too!

Written by HTLAL member Arekkusu.

Edited by Spanky on 07 March 2015 at 3:03am

fortheo
United States
Joined 4832 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 

Message 16 of 42
19 March 2015 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Spanky, I'm looking to use quebecois in 10 lessons once this semester is over and I have more free time.

I wasn't going to do an update just yet, but since I'm here:

Assimil: Lesson 94
FIA: still re watching 25-33 (watching one episode a day)

I've been sick as hell so I haven't made much progress on that front—mostly just reviewing everyday.

I also started using graded readers. I go through a chapter a day with this routine: Listen to the chapters audio, listen to the chapters audio again, read the chapter, listen and read the chapter. Each chapter stays in my reviews for about three days, for reviews I just listen to it, and or listen and read.

Anyways, on to my real reason for posting today: For those of you have used FIA, did you get the impression that Robert is kind of a creep? In the past few episodes he's pretty much just followed Mireille around. He followed someone for like 30 minutes on the highway because he thought he saw Mireille in the car. My creep radar is going off.

Edited by fortheo on 19 March 2015 at 11:32pm

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version