Joined 3793 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 41 of 42
07 July 2015 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
fortheo wrote:
What sites do you suggest for tutors?

Fortheo - I have never used a tutor so I can't recommend a site. I believe I see many mentioning iTalki for
tutors. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this point.   

If you like your language partners, perhaps put more structure into your sessions ahead of time. With my
language partners, we've done a lot of things to mix up our sessions. I have been with both approx18 months
now. My favorite drill so far is I select something in English. My partner doesn't read it before our session, and
then reads it out loud when he sees it for the first time. I am able to help with pronounciation, or explaining
grammaire, current news events, etc, and then we do the opposite in French. Also, I've had my partners pick
a topic in French (without me knowing the subject before), and then we discuss that subject for 30 minutes. It
is difficult, but I always learn new vocabulary etc. I also have had my partners help explain a grammar point
and or degrees of distinction in vocabulary words. With my partner from Quebec, she generally picks the
topic she wants to discuss in English, and I pick a topic in French. Anyway, just some ideas for you.

Best of Luck!

Best of luck!
3 persons have voted this message useful

fortheo
United States
Joined 4822 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 42 of 42
08 July 2015 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Thanks mohave, and you're absolutely right—I need more structure with my language partners! I was thinking of this just an hour ago. I'm thinking about maybe trying something with pictures. For instance, I'd show pictures of two different people and tell my partner to compare and contrast those two people, and not just their physical appearances but perhaps make up whole lives for them etc etc (basically go as far as their language skills allow them to) and then do the same in french. I think I will try to get my partners to try your reading drill and perhaps this picture idea.

Thanks again, if you think of anymore methods you use with your language partners, feel free to share!

Edited by fortheo on 08 July 2015 at 6:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version