United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5795 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 9 of 26
18 January 2015 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Maybe there is some point of enlightenment an Anglophone reaches in the study of German where the kinship becomes much clearer. I guess I'll find out when I study it. :-)

Yes, there definitely is. A combination of sound shifts and spelling reform means that cognates are not quite so obvious to the uninitiated when reading, but once you get used to it things become clear pretty quickly. It also means you don't have to suffer the frustration of every Anglophone French learner, when you can get the gist of pretty much any text but listening is still a mystery.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 26
18 January 2015 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Strange. According to the table the closest language to Italian is French; however, Italians without exposure to
French have harder time with it than with Spanish, which the written language seems to me much closer to Italian.
The pronunciation is much more straightforward with an handful of words that are exactly the same in the two
languages. An Italian reading Spanish as he would read Italian is still almost perfectly understandable, while the
result doing the same with French would be totally unintelligible and quite hilarious.
An interesting point in this table is that the Italian should have the most advantage when picking other romance
languages, being something in the middle. Too bad there isn't a score for the pair Italian-Portuguese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5133 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 11 of 26
18 January 2015 at 1:50am | IP Logged 

tastyonions wrote:
Haha, it's so weird to see 0.60 for English and German. If I can get anything at all out of a German text, it's only after quite a bit of puzzling about similarities to English roots, or thanks to obvious direct loan words.

IMHO, you can only arrive at 0.60, if cognates are included, because according to Wikipedia, only 26% of English words are of Germanic origin.

tastyonions wrote:
Maybe there is some point of enlightenment an Anglophone reaches in the study of German where the kinship becomes much clearer. I guess I'll find out when I study it.

If you watch the entertaining Verner's Law consonant shift videos (1, 2, 3), you might recognize some cognates that you might otherwise miss. :-)

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4872 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 26
18 January 2015 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:

According to the table the closest language to Italian is French; however, Italians without exposure to
French have harder time with it than with Spanish, which the written language seems to me much closer to
Italian.
The pronunciation is much more straightforward with an handful of words that are exactly the same in the two
languages. An Italian reading Spanish as he would read Italian is still almost perfectly understandable, while the
result doing the same with French would be totally unintelligible and quite hilarious.

Well, it's only lexical similarity. Italian and Spanish sound similar, so it's easier to understand the cognates. Even
though it turns out there are more cognates with French, they are buried under the mess of what's happened to
French phonology and orthography over the past few hundred years.

That's why no country's people can understand French without studying, even though French's lexicon is
typical Romance.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 26
18 January 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
Too bad there isn't a score for the pair Italian-Portuguese.

Initially I found Italian clearer than Spanish, for example look at figlio/filho/hijo (and even ll is no longer pronounced like gli/lh). But once I got past this sort of thing, Spanish became much easier. If you ever play around with Portuguese, you'll notice that many words have fewer syllables than in Spanish or especially Italian. And the pronunciation is still quite different, especially if you compare to the Brazilian variety. Besides, you're already learning Spanish. Italian+Spanish are an excellent starting point for Portuguese, and definitely better than just one of them.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4520 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 26
18 January 2015 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
tristano wrote:

According to the table the closest language to Italian is French; however, Italians
without exposure to
French have harder time with it than with Spanish, which the written language seems to
me much closer to
Italian.
The pronunciation is much more straightforward with an handful of words that are
exactly the same in the two
languages. An Italian reading Spanish as he would read Italian is still almost
perfectly understandable, while the

Well, it's only lexical similarity. Italian and Spanish sound similar, so it's easier
to understand the cognates. Even
though it turns out there are more cognates with French, they are buried under the
mess of what's happened to

That's why no country's people can understand French without studying, even though
French's lexicon is
typical Romance.

French also had a significant influence from the Germanic languages which the other
languages lack. In terms of lexicon. This is not that big a deal, but substantial.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 15 of 26
18 January 2015 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:

Well, it's only lexical similarity. Italian and Spanish sound similar, so it's easier to understand the cognates. Even
though it turns out there are more cognates with French, they are buried under the mess of what's happened to

That's why no country's people can understand French without studying, even though French's lexicon is
typical Romance.

Therefore I can conclude than the most intelligible language for an Italian must be Catalan, because it has bigger
lexical similarity than Spanish and a much more transparent spelling than French. Makes sense?

Serpent wrote:

Initially I found Italian clearer than Spanish, for example look at figlio/filho/hijo (and even ll is no longer
pronounced like gli/lh). But once I got past this sort of thing, Spanish became much easier. If you ever play around
with Portuguese, you'll notice that many words have fewer syllables than in Spanish or especially Italian. And the
pronunciation is still quite different, especially if you compare to the Brazilian variety. Besides, you're already
learning Spanish. Italian+Spanish are an excellent starting point for Portuguese, and definitely better than just one
of them.

Interesting... wait a minute... now I had the idea to do the Romance language family continuity project. I just have to
add Catalan, Portuguese and Romanian and then I understand all the major romance languages :P Off course
Russian would postpone again. Mmmhh...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 26
19 January 2015 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I think it's time to do something challenging that you can stick with, whether it's Russian, Mandarin or Persian etc. Well, obviously it depends on your goals and so on. But if you were itching to get some specific content in Catalan or Portuguese, you'd be doing them already, wouldn't you? I'd say just let the cool content find you. Sooner or later the time will come. Keep working on your French and Spanish too, obviously.

You also seem to have an issue with grand schemes, like kujichagulia. Oops, I did not just send you to Kuji's log after telling you to put off Portuguese until the time is right :)

Edited by Serpent on 19 January 2015 at 11:41am

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version