Germany
Joined 4147 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: German*, English, DutchC1
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 1
18 January 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Привет!

Not sure whether the title is whacky or genius, but I'm not gonna change it, now that I came up with it. Who has time these days?

So yeah, it's me, Michael.

I was confronted with Russian maybe one year ago, and after learning the Cyrillic alphabet I naturally went: "Now that I have come this far, I might as well learn the whole language."

Well, sort of like that it went. To be honest I have no real reason to learn the language.

I love Russian (& Ukrainian) Hip Hop artists though, like CENTR, Баста, Новый Союз, Vendetta.

Anyway. Right now, I can only string together words that I know in hopes of being understood, ignoring all grammar and syntax. I can read a newspaper and understand 50 - 70% without a dictionary and 70 - 90% with the help of one.

Movies with simple language like Лиля Навсегда I understand 60 - 80% of what is being spoken and I can follow the plot on the whole. (I highly recommend the movie by the way. But be prepared to cry a lot and feel terrible about the world for at least a day.)

I watched all seasons of Кухня and sometimes I understand very little and I'm only able to follow the plot because I know how story writing works. I really wish I could follow a show like this and understand it all. Физрук, too, I would love to watch but it's too hard for now.

Come 2016 I want to be conversational ("fluent") in Russian. I want to be able to hold a conversation and express myself freely, even though it will not be in the most sophisticated or eloquent way. I will make mistakes here and there, but it will not disrupt the flow of an everyday chat. I want to understand 100% of what people say in everyday life, lest it be slang, idioms or local expressions.

After 2015 I want to be able to say: "I speak Russian."

Depending on my mood I might add: "It's not perfect, but it's decent for a college-dropout from Germany."

Thank you for taking the time to follow me.

Удачи!

Edited by Micha on 18 January 2015 at 7:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version