9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 9
18 January 2015 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
I am directing this question to those of you who are familiar with the French-based language-learning series Méthode 90 by the publisher Le Livre de Poche. . In my experience with other publishers, the annotation "nouvelle édition revue et corrigée" is unreliable, as it can mean that the dialogues and exercises were completely updated, as one often sees with the Assimil series, or it can mean that only superficial changes were made. I am particularly interested in knowing what the differences are between the editions listed below.

ALLEMAND
Méthode 90, Allemand Débutant, Pratique de base, 2003
Méthode 90, Allemand Débutant, 2008

ITALIEN
Méthode 90, Italien Débutant, 2002
Méthode 90, Italien Débutant, Pratique de base, 2002/2003?

ESPAGNOL
Méthode 90, L'espagnol d'aujourd'hui en 90 leçons, 1995
Méthode 90, Espagnol Débutant, Pratique de base, 2001
Méthode 90, Espagnol Déutant, 2007

NÉERLANDAIS
Méthode 90, Néerlandais Débutant, Pratique de base, 2003
Méthode 90, Néerlandais Débutant, 2007
I cannot seem to find any recordings for this book. Does anyone know if they exist and, if so, how I might acquire them?

Merci à l'avance!

Edited by Speakeasy on 19 January 2015 at 2:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5139 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 9
19 January 2015 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
I own this edition of the Italian course. On the title page it says "Nouvelle édition par Vittorio Fiocca, mise à jour par Danièle Polard" and on the copyright page it gives two dates, 1970 and 2002. I lack the least certainty about this, but it is my impression that the courses are all fundamentally the same. I must say also this particular one is absolutely excellent.

There is also Italien pratique courante which I also have and is highly recommended as well. This is a very good series overall, though it has been published and republished in the most confusing manner. Again, I don't believe there are in fact multiple generations of these manuals, though I could be wrong.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 9
19 January 2015 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I have the 2007 edition of Espagnol débutant, but I remember that in the introductory (French) portion of the first recording, it starts out saying, "L'espagnol d'aujourd'hui en 90 leçons." So I wonder how much updating was actually done...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 4 of 9
19 January 2015 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
@Juan,
Thank you for your comments, including your recommendation. I could not find Italien pratique courante on Amazon.FR or on the publisher's website. However, used copies are available. The copies of the book that I have found do not seem to be accompanied by audio files. Would you know whether CDs or cassettes were ever produced for this book?

@Tastyonions,
Thank you for your comments. Hmm, your experience causes me to question the annotation "nouvelle édition revue et corrigée" of the latest editions of this series. Perhaps other forum members will provide additional information.

Merci à vous deux!

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5139 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 9
19 January 2015 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
I could not find Italien pratique courante on Amazon.FR or on the publisher's website. However, used copies are available. The copies of the book that I have found do not seem to be accompanied by audio files. Would you know whether CDs or cassettes were ever produced for this book?

I don't believe there were. For one, I have never seen them. Furthermore, nowhere in the introduction and the instructions of how to use the book are recordings of any type mentioned, whereas reference is made to explanations of the language's phonology.

There was a thread on this forum with a more detailed description of this series along with 40 leçons pour parler, but I cannot find it anymore.

Edited by Juаn on 19 January 2015 at 3:28am

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 6 of 9
19 January 2015 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Juan,

Thank you for the additional information concerning the absence of audio files for Italien pratique courante. C'est donc triste!

As an aside, I have several 40 leçons pour parler courses: German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, and even Russian!

I greatly appreciate the overall quality of the 40 leçons pour parler, Méthode 90, and Assimil language courses. Although these courses are quite compact, generally speaking, the dialogues and exercise material are well-conceived and all of them cover quite a lot of ground. It's a pity that, of the three, only Assimil markets versions destined for use by speakers of languages other than French, and it is a greater pity that Assimil markets so few of their more advanced courses in other languages.

Merci encore!

ClaireB
Triglot
France
Joined 4836 days ago

4 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Finnish, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 7 of 9
11 April 2015 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread....

This series of book has had several names : "XX d'aujourd'hui en 90 lecons et 90 jour, "XX - Pratique de
Base" , and now "XX - Débutant".

To the best of my knowledge, there is only one version of the books for the following languages : Italian,
Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Dutch. There is also only one edition of the Portuguese book, which is
unfortunately out of print, and very difficult to find, even here in France. The Chinese book is the newest
published, sometimes in the late 1990s-early 2000s I think. The Dutch and Arabic book have been regularly
re-published, but without recordings from the time the name of the series changed to "Pratique de Base".
They dropped Portuguese and introduced Chinese at the same time.

There is also an English book, but I don't know anything about it.

There were recordings for the Dutch and Arabic books, I have them, but they are only on tapes. Technical
issues aside, I'm not sure how legal it would be to distribute them. I don't know about recordings for the
Portuguese book however.

There are at least 2 editions of the Spanish and German books : one is from the 1970s, the other much more
recent : sometimes in the 90s for the Spanish book (I don't have it on me but can check in a few hours), and
maybe a second one in the 2000s for the German book. The current edition is only 50 lessons long, when it
was 90 before, which is a shame in my opinion. The Spanish book is still 90 lessons, though.

There were advanced books, called "pratique courante" for Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, English, and
grammar books ("Grammaire Active") for Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Arabic, English. The
advanced books are no longer in print, the grammar books are for Italian, Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese
(even if the course book isn't....), but not for German and English.

The books are quite good, especially the older editions (when there are several editions), with real literatire
texts in the later lessons. I fell in love with the Russian language at 16 when I foud a second hand copy of the
book.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3636 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 9
11 April 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
There are at least 2 different versions of the English and it's possible to find the portuguese from time to time in Parisian bookshops like Gibert Jeune for a few euros. There are no literary texts at the end of the portuguese but articles of newspapers.

A discreet publication of the audio of the Dutch, Arabic and first edition of Spanish and English would be highly welcome, whatever the quality of the audio.
Afaik, it would be illegal to publish them.
On the other side, I'm pretty sure the publisher won't publish them again. The only way to find them in France is in libraries (I've already seen the Arabic at the Buffon library in Paris), but methods on K7 are slowly disappearing from the shelves and soon these audio will be completely lost for the public.

A few years ago, it was possible to download the audio of the 2nd edition of the English and Spanish on a site called lapasserelle.com, but they were also removed and replaced by something else probably due to the infrigement to the copyright.

Edited by Arnaud25 on 11 April 2015 at 9:24pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version