ppalme
Switzerland
ppalme.wordpress.com
Joined 3394 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
20 January 2015 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
My mission in 2015 is to be able to read a chinese newspaper by 31 December 2015

John DeFrancis, in his book The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy, reports that his Chinese colleagues estimate it takes seven to eight years for a Mandarin speaker to learn to read and write three thousand characters, whereas his French and Spanish colleagues estimate that students in their respective countries achieve comparable levels in half that time.

I studied Chinese 20 years ago at university and also lived for three years in the late 80s mainly in Hong Kong. My focus then was on speaking. Now I would like to learn to read. So far I have learned the most important 950 characters approximately in 2 months and less than 32 hours on memrise and I started to read my first book in Chinese. I have blogged about my experience here: https://ppalme.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/the-fastest-way-to-l earn-to-read-chinese/

The challenge is to find adquate reading material that is useful for the limited amount of characters I know by now. I would be very glad for any hint that I get.

At the same time my mission for 2015 is to help others overcome the first threshold to start to read Chinese.

My first mini-mission is to find the newspaper I will read by 31.12.2015 in the next two weeks based on the vocabulary I know by now. What newspaper would you think is the most easiest to read: a chinese tabloid, a newspaper for the rural population / peasants ? Any hints are welcome.

More details about my mission is here:
https://ppalme.wordpress.com/mission-2015-able-to-read-a-chi nese-newspaper-in-chinese-by-31-12-2015/
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4139 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 3
20 January 2015 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to HTLAL. I'm also studying Hanzi at the moment (traditional, like the ones used in Hong Kong. And I'm learning to write, but I've had some experience with reading before, so it's easier). I'll be following
your log. Good luck!
PS.: New users can't post working links here because of the spamming possibility, so here are the two links you tried inserting:
The fastest way to learn to read Chinese
Mission 2015: able to read a Chinese newspaper in Chinese by 31-12-2015
1 person has voted this message useful

ppalme
Switzerland
ppalme.wordpress.com
Joined 3394 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
20 January 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ezy,

many thanks for your reply and support with the links.
I gave up on traditional ones long time ago.
In order to get myself quickly to the next level I have created two new courses on Memrise to practice the most frequently used words in subtitles 1001-1211 and 1212-1421.
Thanks for following my log.
Happy Learning!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version