Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4115 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 4
22 January 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
More out of curiosity than anything else, I'd like to know which one of these you guys prefer to use for written production, and your reasons (better community, formatting, etc) to do so.

I used Lang-8 for both for Japanese and Italian (which means I've used it for years now), until I noticed Italki had a similar feature and decided to give it a try. However, I recently went back, because on one hand I think Lang-8 has a better correction system and it's easier to keep track of, and on the other it's better at enabling discussion (not only corrections) between natives of the TL and yourself, while this is sort of lacking on Italki.

If you use another tool to work on written production, I'd also like to hear about that!
1 person has voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4517 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
22 January 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I've always liked the lang-8 format a little better, but I found both communities to be
roughly equally helpful.

I asked Fasulye about this once and she thought that because lang-8 makes you correct
other entries in order for your own entries to be more prominently featured, the edits on
lang-8 are more likely to be done perfunctorily. But in my experience both sites are
equally likely to suffer from lazy corrections. I guess this may depend on the language.

And this reminds me that I really need to start working on written production again!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
29 January 2015 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for referring to me, osoymar! I have no experience with Lang-8, but I heard from Lang-8 users about it that you have to correct essays / writings yourself to receive corrections.

On italki you have 3 different categories for writings:

- Questions / Answers
- Notebook
- Discussions

If you want to have any kind of writing excercises, you should post it under "Notebook". There the correctors have correction tools such as the possibility to cross words out, to use textmarkers and different writing colours.

Anybody can correct texts but in some languages there is quite some competition among correctors. I noticed that for Dutch people get often 2-3 corrections for one text. In other languages there is a monopoly for the corrector, such as Esperanto where I am the only regular corrector with meanwhile more than 60 corrections.

I am very satisfied with the quality of the corrections I get for my essays I post in Norwegian and Danish. I interact with my correctors to build up a contact to make it less anonymous for them to correct my writings.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 January 2015 at 10:58am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 4
29 January 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
I like Italki better. What I realy disliked about Lang8 was the necessity to correct in
order to be corrected. Don't get me wrong, I am not against giving back to community, I
did some corrections on Italki as well when I was actively using it. But making an amount
of corrections a requirement gives a huge disadvantage to natives of less popular
languages as we just don't have that much posts to correct. Sure, I can correct English
as well but everyone prefers to be corrected by a native speaker of course.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version