United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 1 of 10
23 January 2015 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Now that it's 2015, I've been studying German for a year and I'm having second
thoughts. I've taken the time to re-evaluate my goals and my current progress and I'm
wondering if I've reached the point in my relationship with German in which we need a
break from each other, so to speak.

Here's a little history:
I had planned on studying German and then Spanish afterwards. After one full year of
studying German independently, I've be very disappointed by where I am in this
language (particularly when I compare it to my first year progress in French). At the
same time, I've had more and more encounters with mono-lingual Spanish speakers, and
naturally I've been unable to communicate effectively with them.

In addition, I realized that since my goals were always lower in German than the other
two languages, it might be a better idea to get the tough stuff out of the way first.
To clarify, I want to have native level French (leave me alone, I can dream) and about
a C1 in Spanish while I'd be quite happy with a B1-2 in German.

So basically, I'm starting to think that I should take a break from German, study
Spanish instead and when my skills in Spanish are sufficient, I will pick German back
up again.

I know that many of you are on the polyglot path so please give me your advice and
opinions. Do you think it would be better to “finish off” German first and then start
Spanish or should I take advantage of the fact that I live in a Spanish speaking
nation and then pick German up again later?

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4310 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 10
23 January 2015 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
What about option 3: study them simultaneously?
If you're not even B1 in German, then taking a break might mean almost 1 year lost. Get
it
to a level where it is easily maintainable by watching TV and reading a bit here and
there. But that's independent from the question whether you should start Spanish.

Edited by daegga on 23 January 2015 at 12:45am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 3 of 10
23 January 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
What about option 3: study them simultaneously?
If you're not even B1 in German, then taking a break might mean almost 1 year lost.
Get
it
to a level where it is easily maintainable by watching TV and reading a bit here and
there. But that's independent from the question whether you should start Spanish.

You know, I had almost titled this thread "Is three a crowd?"

Losing everything and starting (almost) from scratch would be pretty lousy...

On the one hand that sounds like I get to have my cake and eat it too. But on the
other hand, I have to wonder about how much that will slow down my potential progress
in Spanish. I mean three languages at once is intimidating to me.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 23 January 2015 at 1:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3778 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 10
23 January 2015 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
I did the exact same thing. I was studying Spanish and wanted to learn German. I'd lost the spark for Spanish, but I felt like I should "finish it off" before I switched to German.

I spent 10 years not working hard enough to finish off Spanish--and not starting German.

Follow your heart and switch to Spanish.

I've spent an amazing amount of time on German since the beginning of December and I've worried that I would totally lose Spanish--today I had a conversation in Spanish (the first in two years) about replacing the gate and yes, I had to back a couple German words out of the conversation but otherwise it was fine.

German will be waiting for you when you're ready to come back.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 10
23 January 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Sticking with German, after what you've written, would be a lot like a sunk cost fallacy.

Lifehack.org wrote:
In economics, a sunk cost is any past cost that has already been paid and cannot be recovered. For example, a business may have invested a million dollars into new hardware. This money is now gone and cannot be recovered, so it shouldn’t figure into the business’s decision making process.

Or, let’s say you buy tickets to a concert. On the day of the event, you catch a cold. Even though you are sick, you decide to go to the concert because otherwise “you would have wasted your money”.

Boom! You just fell for the sunk cost fallacy.

Sure, you spent the money already. But you can’t get it back. If you aren’t going to have a good time at the concert, you only make your life worse by going.

How Often Do You Fall Into The Sunk Cost Fallacy Trap?

Edited by iguanamon on 23 January 2015 at 3:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5097 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 6 of 10
23 January 2015 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
If you aren’t going to have a good time at the concert, you only make your life worse by going.

True if insisting on the sunk item is a bad thing and makes your life outright worse. If OP likes German and wants the benefits of knowing German, then the current frustration s/he has is just 1 bad thing that would eventually lead to 100s of good things.

OP can consider rotating between languages; 1 month of this, 5 weeks of that. I find it far more efficient, interesting and sustainable than continuous study, and I do it deliberately.

But I have to ask - OP has studied German for a year, but hasn't seem to have reached B1/B2. Why not? HTLALer fanatic gave me the impression that it doesn't take very long to learn German to a useable level. If it's because OP didn't really like German that much and didn't dedicate much, or because German was too hard/boring/annoying for OP, these won't change, and OP might as well give up German now. But if it was due to controllable factors, I would fix those factors, give German 2 more months and reach B2, then run happily towards Spanish.

Edited by smallwhite on 23 January 2015 at 3:51am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 10
23 January 2015 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
By Spanish-speaking nation, do you mean the USA? Or are you currently somewhere else, temporarily? I'd only advice you to take a break from German if it's the latter, or if you've lost your interest in German.

You've been around for a while; have you seen my wikia articles?

Also, native-level French is a lifelong commitment. To many, this wouldn't really "count" as learning three languages at the same time.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 10
23 January 2015 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
One year in German from scratch might not be enough to reach a B2; actually an A2 would be more logical for people from different backgrounds. I studied Norwegian, assumed to be easier, for one hour a day and only reached the intermediate level around the 24th month.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version