United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 9 of 10
24 January 2015 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

But I have to ask - OP has studied German for a year, but hasn't seem to have reached
B1/B2. Why not? HTLALer fanatic language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18291&PN=4">gave me the impression that it
doesn't take very long to learn German to a useable level
. If it's because OP
didn't really like German that much and didn't dedicate much, or because German was
too hard/boring/annoying for OP, these won't change, and OP might as well give up
German now. But if it was due to controllable factors, I would fix those factors, give
German 2 more months and reach B2, then run happily towards Spanish.

I guess I didn't study as much as I should/could have. Certainly not as much as I did
with French. It's frustrating spending as much time as I have and still only being
able to really understand learner materials. So since my materials aren't the most
exciting I'm not really motivated to spend more time studying. And the stuff that is
interesting to me is way above the comprehensible input level for me.
Serpent wrote:
By Spanish-speaking nation, do you mean the USA? Or are you currently
somewhere else, temporarily? I'd only advice you to take a break from German if it's
the latter, or if you've lost your interest in German.

I mean America. Spanish is far from king, but it's also another world from my
experiences with French and German. Opportunities to practice those two in real life
are few and far between whereas I could spend all of my non-work,school,church time in
Spanish if I was so inclined.
Quote:

You've been around for a while; have you seen
_time%3F">my wikia articles?

That's the first time I've seen that. Thanks.
Quote:

Also, native-level French is a lifelong commitment. To many, this wouldn't really
"count" as learning three languages at the same time.

Fair enough. I suppose that I will, at some point be learning all three at once, but
since German is pathetic right now, I'll really have to give this some thought.

Expugnator wrote:
One year in German from scratch might not be enough to reach a B2;
actually an A2 would be more logical for people from different backgrounds. I studied
Norwegian, assumed to be easier, for one hour a day and only reached the intermediate
level around the 24th month.

An hour is about what I put into German most days, but I think I should probably
devote more time for a short period of time to give it a final(ish) push.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 24 January 2015 at 1:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 10
24 January 2015 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Hm, so seems like you just need more enjoyable materials. Have you used the free stuff from Deutsche Welle? Try lyricstraining too, when you're not in the mood for something more challenging. See the reading strategies article too, consider especially parallel texts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version