19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 19
24 January 2015 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
At the Polyglot Gathering in Berlin somebody asked me from behind where
I'd got my T-
shirt from (a language lover one) and even though I understood the question, I couldn't
reply because I couldn't register what language he'd just asked me in. I looked at him
for a few seconds and tried to repeat what he'd just said in my head so that I could
realise what language it was before replying in the same one. It was Czech.

Now I keep wondering whether we met at the Gathering. We must have crossed paths and I
shamefully did not remember whether we did.

Edited by tarvos on 24 January 2015 at 8:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 19
24 January 2015 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
glidefloss wrote:
Who is Barry Farber? The radio show host?

The same guy, and author of "How to Learn Any Language".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Farber

glidefloss
United States
Joined 5755 days ago

138 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 19
24 January 2015 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
yawn

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 19
25 January 2015 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
If it was Tarvos who asked Hribecek a question in an unidentified flying language in Berlin, then it would be impossible to guess which one. There are too many, and they are too good.

My own first contribution to this discussion is that I have a TV channel from Croatia, one from Serbia and - the latest addition - one from Montenegro, and I still can't hear the difference. Of course there are clues, like beOOOOOgrad (probably Serbian), mlijeko for milk (probably a dicalect from somewhere along the coast) and references to lokal towns, money and institutions, but when you listen to three very closely related and very weak languages almost in parallel then you can't avoid mixing them up, and the individual profiles of the languages get blurry. If I at some point decided that it was time to clean up my ways then I would first study the differences in pronunciation with the help of a comparative phonology (if I can find one) and then reserve some days for organized, intensive listening.

My own second contribution is simply to plead guilty: when I read or listen extensively I don't expect to study the language in question, and I may forget which one it was.

Edited by Iversen on 25 January 2015 at 9:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4438 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 13 of 19
25 January 2015 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Quote:
unidentified flying language

You've reduced me to tears in a fit of laughter.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 14 of 19
03 February 2015 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
hribecek wrote:
At the Polyglot Gathering in Berlin somebody asked me from behind where
I'd got my T-
shirt from (a language lover one) and even though I understood the question, I couldn't
reply because I couldn't register what language he'd just asked me in. I looked at him
for a few seconds and tried to repeat what he'd just said in my head so that I could
realise what language it was before replying in the same one. It was Czech.

Now I keep wondering whether we met at the Gathering. We must have crossed paths and I
shamefully did not remember whether we did.

I've wondered about that too. I met several people with some of your languages at least and a few Dutch guys, but obviously HTLAL didn't come up. It's the same with Jeff Lindqvist who I would hopefully recognise thanks to his photo here, but somehow I very much doubt we met. I met some people from here though - Fasulye, Iversen and Lapislazuli, to name the ones where we discussed HTLAL.

Edited by hribecek on 03 February 2015 at 4:06pm

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4065 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 15 of 19
04 February 2015 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
This was very common in my youth, when people were speaking to me either in Spanish or in Valencian language. I often wouldn't even notice which language they were using to speak to me. Maybe because Valencian is a variant of Catalan which tends to be closer to Spanish in terms of prosody and phonetics which makes a sudden switch between languages less distinguishable, and also because many people in the region tend to switch back and forth between Spanish and Valencian all the time.

Edited by Gomorritis on 04 February 2015 at 12:45pm

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3700 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 16 of 19
07 February 2015 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Every now and then I will respond to someone's English question in French, though rarely. Someone did something nice to me once, and they only speak English as far as I know, and without thinking my response was: "Merci." I realized what had happened and said I was sorry, though luckily most of us from America seem to know that one French word anyway.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version