JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4550 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, FrenchC2

Message 1 of 7
26 January 2015 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Hello! Long time has passed since I visited the forum. Lately I haven't been able to
find the time to study any language. Although I have a job that requires me to speak
several languages daily, I might have the opportunity to move to another department
where Dutch will make a huge impact when the final decision is made!
This is the main reason I will be learning Dutch, and if I don't get the promotion I
always have the motivation of being able to speak Belgium's both languages, which is a
country I visit very often.

I have started with some basic pronunciation flashcards, first the letters of the
alphabet and then the diphthongs. Nothing too hard, although since I started learning
Norwegian I find myself pronouncing every Germanic language I'm not familiar with in
Norwegian, which is a bit odd.

About my goals, I got my hands on a few children's books, such as   Het Lelijke
Jonge Eendje, Assepoester, Sneeuwwitje, Doornroosje
and many others. They're about
30 books with accompanying audio. My first goal is to have read one book by the start
of April.

I have a French / Dutch dictionary, Assimil, Teach Yourself and a bunch of other
learning materials to help me with in this journey.

I should be doing some Assimil today and maybe one lesson of Pimsleur (shame there are
only 30 lessons!).

Thanks for reading, I will try and update this log every day!

João.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 7
26 January 2015 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Good to see people are still learning Dutch. Working with the Flemish, are you? You'll
find that easier to pronounce.

Veel succes!

JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4550 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 3 of 7
26 January 2015 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm using standard Dutch materials as Flemish ones seem to be harder to find. Is it
possible to be understood in Belgium if I speak standard Dutch? I know they sound
different but I have no idea about the vocabulary or if they're really mutually
intelligible.

Thanks!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 7
27 January 2015 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
There is no such thing as Flemish materials, at most there's such a thing as Flemish
standard pronunciation of standard Dutch. The language is the same, although vocabulary
usage may vary in Flanders (but you'll find vocabulary to vary everywhere based on
dialect, so that's not a big issue).

Do Americans understand you if you speak British English? They do, but they might think
some of your vocabulary is weird.

Same with Belgians and Dutch. However be aware that in Belgium and some parts of the
Netherlands you may encounter older people who speak stronger dialect and that's not
always easy to understand.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4550 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 5 of 7
27 January 2015 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for enlightening me! I've heard plenty of things about Flemish vs Dutch and none
of them really made sense to me, but now I understand.

As for my today's studying, I've managed to review all my pronunciation cards and added
all the vocabulary in Assimil's first lesson and reviewed it.

I've done all the exercises and had no trouble understanding the dialogue nor the
vocabulary used.

Hoping to do the first Pimsleur lesson today, we'll update the post if I do so!

JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4550 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 6 of 7
30 January 2015 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
So, I haven't updated the log for 3 days now, that's already a failure! I've managed
to get Assimil Lesson 2 done on the 28th of January, as well as adding its
vocabulary to Anki and reviewing all my decks
. I failed to do Pimsleur's first
lesson

29th of January was not productive at all. I got absolutely nothing done. No Dutch
whatsoever except the content in my phone which I changed to Dutch so I can get a bit
more exposure, and I figured out what gelezen, wijzig, anuuleer, nieuwe, verslagen,
reagerem, delen, leuk
and some other random words mean! Added them to Anki today.

As for today, I got my Anki reviewing done and I finally managed to get Pimsleur's
lesson 1
done. I have also re-listened to lessons 1 and 2 of Assimil.

I will try and study some more today, maybe keep adding some Dutch frenquency
words
from Wikipedia's list and do one Assimil lesson as well

JoaoCorreia
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4550 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 7 of 7
02 February 2015 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I have been failing my study goals. I always skip 1 or 2 days in between my studies,
which is bad for progress. Nevertheless, I got something done today!

• Lesson 3 of Assimil
  • Lesson 2 of Pimsleur
  • Anki decks review
  • Adding new words to Anki

I also reviewed lessons 1 and 2 of Assimil. I don't have much more to say about my
progress because I feel I still need a couple more months of studying to actually have a
basic grasp of the language. I still keep confusing it with Norwegian, specially when
doing Pimsleur.

Edited by JoaoCorreia on 02 February 2015 at 4:55pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version