Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 11
30 January 2015 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Hi @1e4e6,
   I don't know which are your time constraints and I don't know if what I'm going to
share with you fits your style or not.

You seem to have a very strong romance base, so you should be able to understand
Catalan at least at the 90%.

It was like this when I first started to learn Spanish. I tried Assimil Lo Spagnolo
senza Sforzo but it just seemed to me that I was going to waste my team, being too
easy, so I started to listen every day 90 minutes of Spanish podcasts. After two
months I can understand virtually everything and speak and write a quite broken
Spanish - although I can already make me understood by natives quite efficiently with
my "Itanol". I'm now going to participate to the Italki challenge (take 20 hours of
lessons in the month of February - I want to do solely informal tutoring for this
month and then I will decide what to do next month). I also bought a B1/B2 grammar of
Spanish.

So the idea is: ton of input in a first silent phase of 2 months, then speak with
natives, then formal grammar (or maybe not :) ).
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5678 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 10 of 11
30 January 2015 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
That's exactly what Assimil is, a 2½ month phase of input and practice with accent. The Assimil course quickly picks up, many of the later lessons are well over 7 minutes long of straight Catalan. I gave my copy away after i finished it otherwise i'd post some pictures of the later lessons. They're like five pages long (not including Spanish translation) of paragraphs (not the one line sentences/half sentences you see early in Assimil courses), all annotated. There's also tons of interesting cultural information including a series of lessons covering the history of Catalunya from its beginnings up to the suppression of Catalan during Franco's dictatorship. I recommend going through it as an actual course (it'll also help you separate Catalan and Spanish), but i suppose you could also use it as a graded reader.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5074 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 11 of 11
02 February 2015 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I want to add that Assimil also brought out a French-based course, "Le Catalan", which was published later and is of different content than the old Spanish-based one, even though one of the authors appears to be still the same.

Making use of both courses would have the advantage of not only getting more content, but also of approaching Catalan via bilingual texts from two different angles, Spanish and French, which are both Catalan's 'neighbours'.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version