Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Yet another ’my next language’ thread :)

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
32 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4454 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 32
27 January 2015 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Go Greek! Challenging without being "impossible," Indo-European but off the "beaten path" of Romance / Germanic / Slavic, beautiful vacation destination, writing system that looks nice and is relatively straightforward to learn, long and interesting history.

That is what has been tempting me lately, anyway.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 32
27 January 2015 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
With regard to Scandinavian languages, it depends on what you want to do with them.
literature --> probably Swedish, but any of the 3 major Scandinavian written standards
is fine. Swedish is easiest to get for free.
movies/tv --> Danish, with a big gap to Swedish (forget Norwegian, it's a side dish)
linguistic curiosity --> Norwegian
Assimil --> Swedish > Danish > Norwegian (Bokmål)

I agree that Danish has the most difficult pronunciation of the 3, but in the long run
it's easier than understanding all the variations in Norway. The difficulty lies mainly
in active language use, ie. pronouncing the words yourself. Understanding is
manageable.
Strong tendency to use standard or standard-near Danish.

I think you're highly biased, being a native speaker of German with a knowledge of English and Swedish. Danish isn't easy to understand if you don't already understand another Scandinavian language.

However if we're speaking of comprehension, why not go for the whole trio?
And really, any Scandinavian language offers linguistic curiosity.

Greek is an interesting option too. The cyrillic alphabet was based on it and Russian has many loan words from it, though probably often from Biblical Greek and/or with the meaning changed.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3836 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 11 of 32
27 January 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys ;)
Let's try to answer individually.

@nikolic993:
- wow, never thought about it! I would have a plus of learning 4 languages in one.

@Serpent:
- Focusing on understanding only Russian can be an idea, I'm worried about my brain ordering me to drop
everything else.
- Romance languages: well, that is chilling out to the extreme :) But actually I don't want to mess up my Spanish
with Catalan and Portuguese. Romanian can be an idea, but I read that Romanian cinema is pretty bad. Dutch has
also this issue.
- German and Afrikaans no, not until I speak Dutch decently.
- Tackling the trio Norwegian, Swedish and Danish: dammit! I said one XD Do you know that if I do start with the
scandinavian as a block 1) I have more or less to study starting from tomorrow 2) it still counts for one so I have to
add another one afterwards? :P This is so tempting. I can rationalize more by saying that I would gain a better
overview of English, my Dutch would be boosted by this and at the end I will be closer to Icelandic.

@Mooby:
- The non-rational approach unfortunately tends not to help me a lot. In the past I dropped every language I choose
just because it was beautiful or fascinating. My heart suggests me to learn pretty obscure languages but my brain
orders me to use my time in a practical way.

@tastyonions: hey! Greek is not a bad idea at all. The food is very tasty and I have a nice Greek restaurant at 1m
from my house. And I find Greek very fascinating also. I don't know anything about Greek cinema anyway.

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 32
28 January 2015 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
In case you choose Swedish, don't think there are no dialects on TV - there are. In any show, series, movie and newscast you're likely to hear something that doesn't sound like your "language course Swedish".
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 32
28 January 2015 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:

I have some caveat for these two languages:
- presence of an Assimil course
- presence of interesting multimedia (podcasts, movies). Literature is a plus
- not a romance one
- not German / Russian / Mandarin
- goal achievable within 1 year of non-intensive study (20 minutes of Assimil per day in the beginning, 45m to 1.5h everyday of podcasts in the second stage

Oh, fun, it's like a puzzle game! Looking at languages I've studied and flirted with over the years, I'd say:

Arabic

Assimil: One of their few bad courses
Interesting media and literature: movies, limited literature
Can learn in one year: fat chance

Indonesian

Assimil: yes
Interesting media and literature: limited
Can learn in one year: absolutely

Turkish

Assimil: yes, French base
Interesting media and literature: horrible movies, one decent historical soap opera, two famous writers, huge online presence
Can learn in one year: It would be a challenge

Japanese

Interesting media and literature: oh hell yes
Can learn in one year: see Arabic

Latin

Interesting media and literature: if you like the classics, hell yes
Can learn in one year: don't know

I'm surprised there's no Icelandic or Irish Assimil courses (I don't count the "On the Road" series). Either would also be a good choice.   And I don't know enough about modern Greek to weigh in, but I learned basic tourist phrases once for a trip to Mykonos - and that alone put me heads and shoulders above every other visitor I met that summer.

Edited by kanewai on 28 January 2015 at 1:10am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4919 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 14 of 32
28 January 2015 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Turkish

Interesting media and literature: horrible movies, one decent historical soap opera...

Pretty subjective, but I've found lots of good, contemporary programming on Kanal D. It's all easily accessible from any region, too.

R.
==

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 15 of 32
28 January 2015 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
kanewai wrote:

Turkish

Interesting media and literature: horrible movies, one decent historical soap opera...

Pretty subjective, but I've found lots of good, contemporary programming on Kanal D. It's all easily accessible from any region, too.

R.
==

mea culpa - I had a total mind fart there, and was only thinking of such gems as Turkish Star Wars. There is of course a whole generation of new Turkish directors like Nuri Bilge Ceylan (Winter Sleep), Zeki Demirkubuz, Fatih Akın (The Cut), and Uğur Yücel, among others.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 32
28 January 2015 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Scandinavian languages look like they might be just what you are looking for.

Or Slavic ones, such as Polish. There is quite a lot of good movies, lots of
literature, there is Assimil and other material as well.

Greek is a great idea, actually. :-)

From the Romance, have you considered Italian? It is quite different from Spanish and
French, I don't think it would mix that much with your Spanish, which is probably a
well founded fear when it comes to Catalan or Portuguese.

How about Hebrew? There is Assimil, I've heard the Modern Hebrew is not as hard to
learn as the biblical one, and there is less trouble with various dialects and
standards (surely less than with Arabic, perhaps less than with Norwegian) there are
interesting movies (I only know those that get to film festivals in Prague, I suppose
there is much more to be seen) and quite a lot of people around me have travelled to
Israel lately and were totally excited.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version